Mark Evans

Who do you like best and who could you definately live without? Will there be romance in the air for any of them and who will end up with who?

Moderators: Mistress Siana, Q.Araignee, Scarlet Lioness

Postby Mumbleberry » Thursday 14 August 2003 3:57:00pm

I didn't mean badly contrived, just that they really needed to get out of the house at that point - poor Uncle V did not realise that it was precisely by fleeing that he made it possible for Harry to be found and taken. Obviously it wasn't really a holiday, but it was the closest they've come in fourteen years, which for an average middle-class family is a tad odd.
Mumbleberry
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby gecko » Thursday 14 August 2003 4:07:22pm

Yeah it is kind of weird, but maybe the Dursleys go on holiday during some other holiday? During Christmas perhaps? Because Vernon says, in CoS, when he's about to make his big deal for his company, "We'll be shopping for a holiday home in Majorca this time tomorrow."

So yeah, I think they do go on holiday sometimes, otherwhise, why buy a holiday home? It's still strange not to go on holiday during summer so it's quite a sacrifice indeed!
gecko
Supreme Mugwump, Walker of Walls and Receiver of Won's Smooches

Postby Selenia » Monday 1 December 2003 4:30:00pm

Sacred Guardian wrote:hmmmm, interestion, i had never noticed that, mayber there is somthing about him, and he's 10 so he would be coming to hogwarts next year, maybe he'll show up, and then harry won't be alone at privet drive

Well, that's very possibly to happen but I don't think that will be the only one. I mean, Evans?? And what about Lilly Evans? Maybe he's a Harry's cousin, but who's got for parents? And why Harry doesn't know anything about him?

And surely, this is not just a coinsidence. Remember Mrs Figg...
Selenia
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby imc130d » Tuesday 6 July 2004 6:07:47pm

JKR updated her website recently, including answering the question in the FAQ poll about Mark Evans:

Mark Evans is...nobody. He's nobody in the sense that Mr. Prentice, Madam Marsh and Gordon-Dudley's-gang-member are nobodies, just background people who need names, but who have no role other than the walk-on parts assigned to them.

There's quite a bit more there, and it's highly entertaining, but I'm too lazy to type the whole thing out.
imc130d
Second Year

Postby Phinea Rogue » Tuesday 6 July 2004 7:37:01pm

Yes, that was entertaining. LOL Personally, I'm glad that he's nobody of importance, I didn't really think he is, but now... all those theories gone... :lol:
Phinea Rogue
Slytherin Prefect

Postby Centaur Lord » Wednesday 7 July 2004 4:21:30am

I agree! I never really thought he had much significance...I was actually getting fed up with all the theories about him, i just never said anything. Still, now it gives all those people who thought he was the half blood prince a chance to pick someone else...
Centaur Lord
Seventh Year

Postby harrylover » Wednesday 7 July 2004 7:22:37am

i really thought he was someone to have a significance... :-)

Yeah i think now i have to find a new hbp!! :grin: :grin:
harrylover
Queen of Gossip and Member of Dumbledore´s Army

Postby Meg Boyd » Sunday 11 July 2004 4:42:34pm

man, that stinks! I was pretty sure since the last name was Evans...that was very sneaky of JKR to use the last name of Harry's mom as a random last name!!!
Meg Boyd
Head Girl, Ravenclaw Prefect and Maker of Witty Random Statements Since 1986 A.D.

Postby harrylover » Sunday 11 July 2004 6:50:33pm

yeah i know...she could have chosen any name and then she takes evans...i really thought he must have some significance... :-)
harrylover
Queen of Gossip and Member of Dumbledore´s Army

Postby Phinea Rogue » Monday 12 July 2004 7:01:27pm

Evans is a quite common surname and maybe she used it to stress that Lily came from a common muggle family, but who knows...
Phinea Rogue
Slytherin Prefect

Postby niki_192 » Saturday 9 July 2005 1:09:05pm

yessss.... very interesting **wonders**..... could it be?...no it can't!..... maybe it it............................................................................
niki_192
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Asphodel » Friday 4 November 2005 5:06:25am

I think J.K.R mentioned that Evans was something she didn't notice she said.
Asphodel
Head of the Department of Mysteries

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Saturday 5 November 2005 10:49:15am

Yes I don't think it was in any way deliberate.
That's the problem with names, I suppose. There are only so many common ones you can use before you have to repeat yourself. I for one find it really hard to pick names for characters!
Phoenix in the Ashes
Guardian of the Vault, RPG Moderator and Slytherin Prefect

Postby Asphodel » Saturday 5 November 2005 6:14:51pm

Exactly. Evans is just another common name, so is Mark. So J.K.R probably just wanted a quick common name.
Asphodel
Head of the Department of Mysteries

Postby draconeedsahug » Thursday 9 March 2006 7:28:58pm

I think JK has squashed that rumour already. It was a coincidence - Lily and Mark are not related
draconeedsahug
Third Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Location: Hovering outside the Slytherin Common Room trying to get a glimpse of Draco

Previous

Return to Characters