Question?

Have you seen the movies, either in the cinema theatre, or on video or DVD, or thinking of seeing them? Share your views here.

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Snow_Crystal

Question?

Postby ADreamAbove » Friday 18 June 2004 3:43:33pm

I've read quite a few articles referencing the strict casting of exclusively British actors, etc., but then they hired a Mexican director for PoA? And Chris Columbus was American. Is there some technicality I've overlooked? And, for that matter, why's everyone so revolted at the thought of casting Americans? Does everyone think we're horrible or what? (I wouldn't change the cast, and I'm certainly not complaining, and I don't want to open up a Great Debate of UK vs. US, I'm just trying to understand).
ADreamAbove
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Location: Pacing the castle, wishing Fred and George would return in all their rowdy glory.

Postby pallas artemis » Friday 18 June 2004 4:03:29pm

I think a lot of the people that work behind the scenes are from different countries, but the actors are all British Irish or Scotish. The most I can figure its a matter of national pride (and maybe they don't want Americans with fake British accents) :lol:
pallas artemis
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: looking out over Eriabor with Glorfindel by my side

Postby Won Wheezy » Friday 18 June 2004 4:55:19pm

Hogwarts is set in Great Britain, so for me it's perfectly understandable that they use british actors. But, to turn the question around, why does it bother you that there aren't any american actors in the films? :???:
Won Wheezy
Blower of Kisses, Tickler of Toes and gecko-smoocher

Postby pallas artemis » Friday 18 June 2004 6:38:24pm

Its not so much that as the fact that . . .
example- Viggo Mortensen would have been great as Sirius but they wouldn't even consider him because he's American :eek:

It just seems like HP is an awfully large project to restrict to two islands and not allow outside people in! :oops: :lol:
pallas artemis
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Mint » Friday 18 June 2004 6:58:34pm

They said the Actors need to be british, not the film director or the crew. I am pretty sure that the British requirement was because of the accent. Actors are always made fun of for their fake accents.
Also, FLeur (sp?) is French actress - because she was suppose to come from France. (thus she will have a natural french accent :) )
Mint
Slytherin Prefect, Hogwarts Librarian and Milady of the Night

Location: Chasing evil duck commander Choki >:( on a chocobo!!!

Postby Alice I » Saturday 19 June 2004 3:41:46am

Well not to put a wrench in it or anything but some Americans can do an extreamly convincing Brittish accent.
I also think that Viggo would have been a perfect Sirius. (And his is taller than that fellow they used! :lol: )
Alice I
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby ADreamAbove » Saturday 19 June 2004 11:33:11pm

<<why does it bother you that there aren't any american actors in the films>>

I never said it did; I could care less. I never even thought about Viggo as Sirius - how fantastic would that have been!
ADreamAbove
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Location: Pacing the castle, wishing Fred and George would return in all their rowdy glory.

Postby pallas artemis » Monday 21 June 2004 8:57:38pm

It doesn't BOTHER me that they're not useing Americans, its just that I think they should exclude Americans or anyone. Whoever out there is best for the part should be offered the part regardless of nationality, that's all :eek: :grin: :razz:
pallas artemis
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby TDM » Wednesday 23 June 2004 6:16:35pm

lol. prolly why they never thought of Viggo was because he prolly never thought of them. some actors sometimes call up and say "Hey, would it be alright if I tried to audition for the part?" because everyone needs to audition anymore, i don't care what ppl say. however, in most cases, the movie ppl contact the actors. but, if i were ever to become an actor, i would go looking for parts.

BTW, on the accent thing, get this:

a woman that was native to florida, meaning she was born and raised there, (this was recent and true, BTW), got into an accident and was in a coma for about 6 months, i think. anyway, when she woke up, she had a full fledged British accent, even though she had never been there. so, yeah, accents are oftentimes weird.
TDM
Owner of Salamence's Wand Shop and Ravenclaw Seeker

Postby Bellatrix » Wednesday 23 June 2004 8:29:15pm

Wow! That is so cool! I never would have thought! :eek:
Bellatrix
Squib

Postby Bellatrix » Wednesday 23 June 2004 11:02:36pm

I like how they didnt use any americans in the film. It makes perfect sense.
Bellatrix
Squib

Postby Phinea Rogue » Thursday 24 June 2004 6:42:31pm

I kind of like that too, because I prefer British actors to American ones. Their acting is somehow... I don't know, it just appeals to me more. Can you imagine someone else playing Snape? Or Hagrid? Anyway, where does Malkovitch come from?
Phinea Rogue
Slytherin Prefect

Postby Asphodel » Wednesday 2 November 2005 5:29:12am

Accents are a funny thing. Though one, on occasion, can be faked, the British look is probably important to.
Asphodel
Head of the Department of Mysteries

Postby Asphodel » Wednesday 2 November 2005 5:30:31am

Oh yeah, the guy who plays Prof. Flitwick is American.
Asphodel
Head of the Department of Mysteries

Postby Arun » Wednesday 2 November 2005 12:45:06pm

You know, some of the characters on "Lord of the Rings" were American, but I thought they were British at first.
Arun
Head of Order of the Pheonix Branch in Florida, Hunter of the Crumple-Horned Snorkack and Gryffindor Prefect

Next

Return to The Movies