Languages Thread

Meet everyone here in The Great Hall for general discussions. Here you'll find a friendly place to talk about all things under the magnificent magical ceiling...even stuff not connected with Harry Potter!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, DucksRMagical, Broccoli, Run Away!!!, Phoenix in the Ashes

Postby Mr3d » Wednesday 14 April 2004 5:41:31pm

Amon Rê wrote:Beluka:
¿Donde esta (es) Galacia? No recuerdo cuál verbo utilizar. ¿Dijo está en España? ¿Bien?

Perhaps it helps:

"estar": situation or state at the moment, for example "yo estoy enfermo" I'm ill (now). But "yo soy un enfermo" I'm (permanently) ill; crazy. ;)
Mr3d
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Ferrus » Wednesday 14 April 2004 6:29:32pm

The ser/estar thing is quite complicated, but the general advice is that:

Estar: somwhere or somehow(ok, its not proper but everyone understands. Right?)
Ser: something

Mr3d´s advice is good (of course). Saludos a un compatriota español!
Ferrus
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Phinea Rogue » Thursday 15 April 2004 9:32:27am

Just a thought (been writing about Orwell), what do you think comes first - a word or a thought? And what's thought? Is it something more than words? Do you think in words, by talking to yourself, or do you imagine things?
Phinea Rogue
Slytherin Prefect

Postby fierce » Thursday 15 April 2004 9:40:54am

Thought comes before words (in my mind) but my thoughts don't take the form of words. I don't talk to myself in my head, unless i'm really freaked out and trying to calm myself down, or really upset, or some extreme emotion like that.

Thoughts are abstract and cannot be described. Least not my thoughts. Maybe I'm crazy!!!!!!! :lol: But when i'm composing sentences, paragraphs, stories, poems, posts etc, i can hear the words in my head at the same time as i'm typing them. so i don't know, i guess. Sometimes i think in french as well as english! but when i try to say things in french, i lose the words and comes out as a jumbled mess.

oy and then i end up rambling on about nothing.
fierce
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Phinea Rogue » Thursday 15 April 2004 10:14:30am

It's a difficult question, I know. You know, in Orwell's novel, there's one language - Newspeak, whose aim is to destroy words (the only language in the world whose vocabulary gets smaller every year) and add an exact meaning to every word. The aim is to prevent people thinking what they shouldn't think, but I don't believe it's possible. I guess that even if you don't a word for something, you can think it. Many times I were thinking about something, then wrote it down and told it, and thought 'it's not exactly what I meant to say', so there has to be more to thinking than words. I dunno...
Phinea Rogue
Slytherin Prefect

Postby Mr3d » Thursday 15 April 2004 11:42:16am

I think :oops: , there are more thoughts than words, because I sometimes know what I want to say, but don't really find the propper word to say it. Moreover, I am "thinking" in spanish normally, but use german or english words when I don't know the spanish word. In some cases there isn't an exact translation for a word; I look it up in the dictionary,and there is a translation, but it doesn't really mean the same for a particular case, so... The language is limiting your thoughts. Solution...: learning more languages! :D
Mr3d
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Beluka » Thursday 15 April 2004 5:41:46pm

Mmm... there are a lot of Spanish experts... How many Spanish people is there? Where are you from?

pd.- leísteis la traducción de Alicia Dellepiane del primer libro?? Me podríais dar vuestra opinión? :D
Beluka
Fourth Year

Postby Mr3d » Thursday 15 April 2004 8:32:19pm

Beluka wrote:pd.- leísteis la traducción de Alicia Dellepiane del primer libro?? Me podríais dar vuestra opinión? :D

Sí. Dos veces, pero no tengo nada con que compararlo... ¿A que te refieres?

Beluka wrote:Mmm... there are a lot of Spanish experts... How many Spanish people is there? Where are you from?

http://www.broomsticksandowls.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1276

http://www.broomsticksandowls.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3269
Mr3d
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Jotomicron » Thursday 15 April 2004 11:56:27pm

Heh! So many 'I like languages' people...
I started a new topic, because I thought it was a bit different to that being said here.

http://www.broomsticksandowls.com/forum ... php?t=3257
Good ideia, Mr3d! It is a start. If you visit this page, and search, you'll find lots of HP terms in other languages... But we could have a list of our own...

The ser/estar thing also occurs in Portuguese. 'Ser' is to permanent states (like, I'm your son; You are a girl; ...) and 'estar' is to temporary ones (I'm here; I'm sad; You're beautiful, today; ...)

Thoughts/Words:
About thoughts that are not composed of words, like, when you remeber the taste of something, or the landscape you've seen, or the sound of 'Für Elise', ..., they can't be compared to words, I guess.
About the others, like when you are talking to someone and suddenly remeber one thing you'd like to tell, I think the thought comes first. For one hand, a thought is not a 'human made' thing. It's inherent (sp). Because the Human Race is considered inteligent, it may have thoughts. But words were made to transmit these thoughts, so, my guess is that thoughts come always first...
Jotomicron
Producer of Happiness and Mysterious Metamorphmagus

Postby Mr3d » Friday 16 April 2004 12:25:16am

Jotomicron wrote: If you visit this page, and search, you'll find lots of HP terms in other languages...

Thanks for the link. :D I didn't know this page, however it seems to be a "jung" page, because I miss many words in it, but it's very interesting how well or stupidly some translations are made...
Mr3d
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Beluka » Monday 19 April 2004 12:45:22pm

Sí. Dos veces, pero no tengo nada con que compararlo... ¿A que te refieres?

Compared to the original (or other translations... you're not galician or catalan, are you?)... It sucks, really, believe me... If you've read the 5th in english there's nothing you can't do! If you happen to read it, tell me what you think :-)

By the way, if you're interested in the names, translations and stuff, i've got some interesting links:

http://www.eulenfeder.de/int/gbframes.html

http://www.eulenfeder.de/int/gbint.html

Around summer, will be published the second volume of a "magazine" of translation critic. The main articles of english translation are about Harry Potter (into Galician, Basque, Català and Spanish). Just let me know if someone is interested. I'm author of the Galician one and maybe i can send the text of the other articles... :D

(That thing's mainly about mistakes of the translators... but i'm afraid non-linguists will not be interested :oops: )
Beluka
Fourth Year

Postby ganymede » Sunday 25 April 2004 11:57:51am

Mera nam ganymede hai

-My name is ganymede
ganymede
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby harrylover » Wednesday 28 April 2004 1:34:06pm

Hallo, mein Name ist Harrylover. Ich spreche Deutsch.

Hello, my name is harrylover. I speak german.

Salve, mihi nomen est harrylover. (latin)

Hello, my name is harrylover.
harrylover
Queen of Gossip and Member of Dumbledore´s Army

Postby Jotomicron » Wednesday 28 April 2004 5:30:23pm

I'm actually trying to learn Greek!...
Here goes nothing:

Καλημέρα! Είμαι ο Ζοάο κι έχω 17 έτων. Ζω στην Λισσοβώνα, Πορτυγαλία.
Θα επισκεφτώ την Ελλάδα το καλοκέρι.
Hi! I'm João and I am 17. I live in Lisbon, Portugal. I'll visit Greece in the summer.
Jotomicron
Producer of Happiness and Mysterious Metamorphmagus

Postby Female_alien » Thursday 29 April 2004 10:05:38am

Hallo harrylover! Ich bin female alien und iche lerne Deutch in die Schule aber ich mag Deutsch besinders nicht weil ich muss immer auf cases (I don't even know how to say that in german) und auf starke Verben aufpassen

There are probably lot of mistakes up there, but, who cares?? :o
Female_alien
Lord of the Aliens, Crazyness, Candles and Smiles, and a Proud Hufflepuff

PreviousNext

Return to The Great Hall