Molly's Second Cousin

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

Molly's Second Cousin

Postby Athena Appleton » Sunday 29 February 2004 8:19:12am

'kay, first off, I don't think this is a really serious issue, more of a curiosity...

In Philosophers/Sorcerer's Stone, on the Hogwarts Express, Harry asks Ron if all his family are wizards. Ron replies, "Er - yes, I think so. I think Mum's got a second cousin who's an accountant, but we don't talk about him."

This just strikes me odd, because the Weasleys (and Arthur, in particular) have an appreciation for Muggles (okay, Arthur has a fascination/obsession with Muggles, but you get the idea.) It just seems odd to me that they wouldn't talk about a Muggle second cousin, unless there's something they REALLY don't like about the cousin... Arthur would surely want to get to know a real live Muggle in the family, wouldn't he?

Just curious...
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Meg Boyd » Sunday 29 February 2004 5:37:28pm

that is a really interesting point there...maybe he rejected the wizarding world or something that would make people as nice as the weasley's not like them...hmmm
Meg Boyd
Head Girl, Ravenclaw Prefect and Maker of Witty Random Statements Since 1986 A.D.

Postby Violet » Sunday 29 February 2004 6:40:33pm

there might have been a family fall out or something, i dont think that he has any realy significance
Violet
Serpentine Princess

Postby Scellanis » Sunday 29 February 2004 6:45:17pm

maybe the cousin is a squib...to have a muggle in a pure blood wizard family wouldn't you need two muggle parents....or at least one married into the family.....unlikely being pure blood wizards......and Arthur would love a muggle anyway, maybe the accountant is a squib and went to a muggle school instead because they couldn't get into Hogwarts....if they were a squib they would be embarrasing for the family wouldn't they and so they would not talk about them.....
Scellanis
Hufflepuff Prefect

Location: Pretending to be a sea slug with 'go faster' stripes...

Postby Scellanis » Sunday 29 February 2004 6:46:14pm

sorry to double post but i forgot to say....Harry only asks if all the family are wizards...not if they have any muggles in the family.....
Scellanis
Hufflepuff Prefect

Postby Nobby » Tuesday 2 March 2004 5:53:55pm

mayb her cousin doesn't knowe about the wizarding world. Mayb born and put up for adoption. that'll explain why the weasleys dont have contact with him therefore dont talk about him much!
Nobby
Hufflepuff Prefect and The Half Blood Prince

Postby Cruzio » Tuesday 2 March 2004 6:38:46pm

The correct quote is

"Er - yes, I think so. I think Mum's got a second cousin who's an accountant, but we never talk about him."

You might think no big deal, never or don't... but I atleast read these two versions quite differently.

If you say you "don't" talk about someone, that inqures that you don't like the person, or that the topic is sacred or similar. Like when the Weasley's doesn't talk about Percy in OotP. Or when people doesn't say Voldemort's name.

On the other hand when you say you "never" talk about someone/something, it might be that the topic isn't interesting, or you just never get around to it.

So I doubt there is any grudge between the Weasley's and this second cousin, other than that they don't have a close relation.
I sure don't know all my mom's next cousins.
Cruzio
Third Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Athena Appleton » Tuesday 2 March 2004 7:04:52pm

haha... welcome, cruzio :welcome: way to spot a typo right at the very beginning :grin:

honestly, I don't see a difference between the two words... I guess I see your point, but I would read "We don't talk about him" and "We never talk about him" to be the same thing...

It was the middle of the night, I was doing good to NOTICE that line! :lol:
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Cruzio » Wednesday 3 March 2004 10:39:20am

Just saying how I read it :)

I'm not however of englishspeaking origin, so it's possible this only concerns me :) I might have some odd ideas of the english language for all I know.
Cruzio

Postby Scellanis » Wednesday 3 March 2004 11:57:20am

Cruzio wrote:
On the other hand when you say you "never" talk about someone/something, it might be that the topic isn't interesting, or you just never get around to it.

So I doubt there is any grudge between the Weasley's and this second cousin, other than that they don't have a close relation.
I sure don't know all my mom's next cousins.

lol, well thats quite understandable...he is an accountant.... (no offence intended to any accountants on here....)

*giggles*

but i mean accountant is a boring muggle profession....i think even arthur with his massive obsession for muggles would get bored of that pretty fast......
Scellanis
Hufflepuff Prefect

Postby Athena Appleton » Wednesday 3 March 2004 5:20:48pm

Cruzio wrote:Just saying how I read it :)

:lol: You'll learn early on that I'm a smart-alack and not to take anything I say seriously. Aberforth and I are constantly buggin each other, but (I hope) he doesn't take anything I say seriously anymore. :grin:

but i mean accountant is a boring muggle profession....i think even arthur with his massive obsession for muggles would get bored of that pretty fast......

right... um, you did catch the part where he collects electric plugs, right? :lol: He'd probably be fascinated with a muggle accountant. All that Muggle money!!! :grin:
Athena Appleton

Postby Cruzio » Wednesday 3 March 2004 7:51:49pm

I was just worried you might had taken the correction as an insult (yes yes I'm dramatizing, but some people do that, and as I'm new here I don't wanna get off on the wrong foot) :)

You are free to say anything you like to me, I promise I wont take you seriously, as long as you do the same with me :grin:

"wee I'm a first year"
Cruzio

Postby child of darkness » Wednesday 3 March 2004 8:13:50pm

well
you lucky u aint a muggle

it embarrasing
AAARRRGGHHH!!!

i had to walkto the fridge

its soooo annoying[/i]
child of darkness
Seventh Year

Postby Athena Appleton » Wednesday 3 March 2004 11:29:05pm

*just stares at child of darkness*

uh-huh

way off topic :grin:
Athena Appleton

Postby Gower » Wednesday 3 March 2004 11:38:33pm

I can see what Cruzio means with the slight difference between the wording :)
But I don't think the accountant will play any major part :grin:
Gower
Gryffindor Prefect, Head of Gryffindor Security Force and Member of Hogwarts Chess Team

Next

Return to Theories