Albus Dumbledore - Friend or Fiend?

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

Postby Jotomicron » Wednesday 25 February 2004 12:37:53pm

It's amazing how things can be twisted... I just remembered Rita Skeeter: imagine she knew all this - she would have made quite a story out of it, and DD would be sent directly to Azkaban (the Ministry couldn't do that, though, because DD is too strong and knows how to fight)
Jotomicron
Producer of Happiness and Mysterious Metamorphmagus

Re: Albus Dumbledore - Friend or Fiend?

Postby Athena Appleton » Wednesday 25 February 2004 4:54:51pm

Aberforth wrote:
Athena Appleton wrote:
Did you really read the fifth book?

Did you? Harry said h felt like he was being opened up even further..

:lol: yup... just felt like at the end of the book, it was explained what Occlumency is and why it was important... and that Harry wasn't doing it right... if he'd have taken it seriously, his mind wouldn't have been opening up, it would have been closing up. Wasn't Dumbledore's fault. :grin:

Hope I didn't offend you guys

you didn't. :grin:
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Aberforth » Wednesday 25 February 2004 4:59:38pm

Violet wrote:Glad to hear that you dont actually beleive this theory :grin:
I suppose you could interperate dumbledore's actions in that way, and suggest that he is working for voldermort, but as i said before if he really was working for/with voldermort they could have killed him off long ago. there are about a million reason why dumbledore isnt evil, and i really cant think of one reason to strongly suggest that he is

I wasn't suggesting he was working with Voldemort, rather against him, but Voldemort was actually the good guy. Nevermind, perhaps we'll get more of an insight into the reasons behind Voldemort's power cravings and yearning for knowledge.
Aberforth
Hogs Head Bartender

Postby Athena Appleton » Wednesday 25 February 2004 5:14:12pm

Aberforth wrote:
I wasn't suggesting he was working with Voldemort, rather against him, but Voldemort was actually the good guy. Nevermind, perhaps we'll get more of an insight into the reasons behind Voldemort's power cravings and yearning for knowledge.

know what? I think we already know the basics of why Tom Riddle was power-hungry like he was and had the yearning for knowledge... he was resentful about his childhood... We know how much he hated his father for walking out on him, and we know how much he hated the orphanage...

I think he felt like if he became this all-powerful wizard, then he would feel like he was rising up out of his painful childhood and taking it out on the world... he realized, the moment he got that Hogwarts letter, what it meant: he had powers he could use to avenge the wrongs of his past. And that's why he was in Slytherin. He wasn't the least bit proud of his Muggle heritage, he hated it with a passion.
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Aberforth » Wednesday 25 February 2004 6:02:30pm

Just found this thread whilst browsing through the old ones. This PhD guy come over all santimonious etc, but try to ignore his tone ok.

http://www.broomsticksandowls.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1678

Despite his pomposity he does present the same arguement as me about Dumbledore being evil.

He doesn't really present that much of a case for this only the "its happened in other literature" excuse, which has definietely disuaded me from this theory.

However, I glad I'm not the only one to come up with this. It means I'm not going mad.....yet :mad:
Aberforth
Hogs Head Bartender

Postby Athena Appleton » Wednesday 25 February 2004 6:52:44pm

Aberforth wrote:Just found this thread whilst browsing through the old ones. This PhD guy come over all santimonious etc, but try to ignore his tone ok.

what, you don't think we already see sanctimonious people? hahaha... btw, is anyone really sure if "whilst" is a word, and if it is, is it being used properly? :grin: just messin...

However, I glad I'm not the only one to come up with this. It means I'm not going mad.....yet :mad:

doesn't mean that at all... there could very well be two mad people on this board. ;-)
Athena Appleton

Postby Nobby » Thursday 26 February 2004 11:38:10am

DD is not evil, just slimply preparing him for the future. if he was evil he wouldn't stick up for harry against the ministry, he wouldn't be so involved in the order.

AND WHY WOULD VOLDIE FEAR DD IF HE WAS EVIL?

EVIL PEOPLE TEND TO STICK TOGETHER.
Nobby
Hufflepuff Prefect and The Half Blood Prince

Postby Broccoli » Thursday 26 February 2004 12:13:36pm

Nobby wrote:AND WHY WOULD VOLDIE FEAR DD IF HE WAS EVIL?

EVIL PEOPLE TEND TO STICK TOGETHER.

Aberforth meant that Voldie is actually a good guy.
Broccoli
Slytherin Prefect, Healer at St Mungo's and Slytherin Chaser

Postby darkcloak » Thursday 26 February 2004 1:10:56pm

Good thinking Aberforth. It's nice to think 'outside of the box' for a while.

Questions from OotP:

Why didn't he get someone else to teach Harry occulmency? Snape's the 'best', but he knew there would be problems and there must be others who know how to do it.

Why did DD not know what was going on with Harry--->Sirius? He was at Hogwarts after all and everyone says "he always knows what's going on".

Why was DD so late in getting to the Ministry?

Why (when it seems he has the power to capture the rest) did he let Bellatrix escape and allow Harry to go after him?

Why did he wait for Voldemort to appear before aiding Harry?

Perhaps he was using Harry in order to trap Voldemort in the Ministry and show them he has risen again. Perhaps he wants his power back. ;)
darkcloak
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Aberforth » Thursday 26 February 2004 1:49:03pm

darkcloak wrote:Why didn't he get someone else to teach Harry occulmency? Snape's the 'best', but he knew there would be problems and there must be others who know how to do it.

Occlumency is an obscure branch of magic, therefore not many people can do it. DD can because he's Dumbledore. Snape can because he is highly knowledgeable in the dark arts. It is useful for his spying.

Why did DD not know what was going on with Harry--->Sirius? He was at Hogwarts after all and everyone says "he always knows what's going on".

He did. Sirius corresponded with him all the time.

Why was DD so late in getting to the Ministry?

He was interrogating Kreacher at Grimauld Place.

Why (when it seems he has the power to capture the rest) did he let Bellatrix escape and allow Harry to go after him?

Come on - he took on like 7 or 8 guys on his own. Bellatrix was powerful and she was fighting Sirius when Dumbledore entered. She managed to deflect his spell as she escaped the room.

Why did he wait for Voldemort to appear before aiding Harry?

He came up the lifts too, so it took some time to get there. Plus, he was probably making sure the death eaters were suitable bound and the Order members were ok.

Perhaps he was using Harry in order to trap Voldemort in the Ministry and show them he has risen again. Perhaps he wants his power back.

I doubt it. His main concern was Harry's safety. Voldemort being discovered was a "bonus" if you can call it that.
Aberforth
Hogs Head Bartender

Postby darkcloak » Thursday 26 February 2004 2:39:31pm

Okay, so that's Dumbledore cleared then..................now what about that Ron fella, he's always hanging around Harry.........hmmm, Friend or Fiend?

;)
darkcloak
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Aberforth » Thursday 26 February 2004 2:42:25pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Aberforth
Hogs Head Bartender

Postby Athena Appleton » Thursday 26 February 2004 7:45:20pm

*gasps in shock* is that Aberforth actually catching a joke?!?!?! ;-)

I like irking you. :grin:

You know, it's funny, there are a lot of people who think Ron will go bad in the end... I just can't believe it... there doesn't seem to be any evidence except "wouldn't it be weird/cool if......"

GOOD GUYS ARE GOOD GUYS! BAD GUYS ARE MEANIES!!!!
Athena Appleton

Postby pandora315 » Wednesday 10 March 2004 5:54:39am

How about the theory that they're both evil? (seriously) well more like selfish I guess. I've thought that it could be possible that DD is using Harry to achieve his goal. I mean he even says that he has a plan and that affection for harry is interefering with it. After GoF theres the paragraph where Harry tell DD about how wormtail used his blood and there is a gleam of triumph or something in his eye. Maybe instead of that being good news for Harry, its bad. I have this theory that at the end of the book Voldy and Harry will both die, and VOldy will be revealed to have a scar similar to Harry's. I've got a whole big long theory on that but it doesn't belong on this thread, anyway going with that theory I have I think DD it glad that Harry and Voldy now share the same blood.
pandora315
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Werewolf » Friday 12 March 2004 1:49:52pm

pandora315 wrote:How about the theory that they're both evil? .

The Prophecy smashed. All we know is Dumbledore’s version!!! How do we know it’s true? If Dumbledore lied, he could protect V. so that in the future people would not even try to kill Voldemort because they would think that only Harry can do it.
Werewolf
Muggle

PreviousNext

Return to Theories