Languages Thread

Meet everyone here in The Great Hall for general discussions. Here you'll find a friendly place to talk about all things under the magnificent magical ceiling...even stuff not connected with Harry Potter!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, DucksRMagical, Broccoli, Run Away!!!, Phoenix in the Ashes

Postby Female_alien » Sunday 9 November 2003 4:00:46pm

This is my mother tongue : moje je ime na ovom forumu ženski izvanzemaljac. POzdrav svima koji vole jezike!
I wrote in Croatian and I said:My name on this forum is female alien. Greetings to everyone who loves languages.
I learn German(Deutsch) in school too, so I'll write the same on German: Mein Name an dieser forum ist Frauen Alien. Gru''sse alle wer liebt Sprache (I don't know German that well :oops: )

And little Italian : Ciao ragazzi!!!!!!!!
And little Spanish: ?Soi "Female Alien", y tu?
Female_alien
Lord of the Aliens, Crazyness, Candles and Smiles, and a Proud Hufflepuff

Postby Female_alien » Sunday 9 November 2003 4:01:40pm

This is my mother tongue : moje je ime na ovom forumu ženski izvanzemaljac. POzdrav svima koji vole jezike!
I wrote in Croatian and I said:My name on this forum is female alien. Greetings to everyone who loves languages.
I learn German(Deutsch) in school too, so I'll write the same on German: Mein Name an dieser forum ist Frauen Alien. Gru''sse alle wer liebt Sprache (I don't know German that well :oops: )

And little Italian : Ciao ragazzi!!!!!!!!
And little Spanish: ?Soi "Female Alien", y tu?
Female_alien

Postby Jotomicron » Sunday 22 February 2004 8:54:54pm

I've searched for this thread and I found it. Fluffy, in the 'real name' thread (I think) was talking abou languages and said she would like to see this thread... So here it is..

Now, I'll say "Hi! My name is ____" in Portuguese.
"Olá! O meu nome é ____" but I think this is not as commom as the next:
"Olá! Chamo-me _____"

It is very hard to say you how to pronounce it, using the english language!
Jotomicron
Producer of Happiness and Mysterious Metamorphmagus

Postby choki » Monday 23 February 2004 8:34:52am

This is indeed very, very, very hard to pronounce.
Referring to Fluffy's and Female_alien's posts in the Where are you from thread:
Female_alien wrote:Wow Choki! Japanese is very hard, isn't it? I mean, it's writing is very hard because there are so many symbols.
Does Chinese have so many symbols?

Fluffy bear wrote:I think Chinese have more symbols then Japanese

Well, first of all, I'm not an expert in japanese language. I watched a lot of anime in japanese audio so I know a few. My best friend is an expert though. She learned the written form as well as the language itself.

It is possible to learn chinese and japanese through english pronounciation, since they can be broken down into syllables. They, too, contains vowels like a,e,i,o,u. However japanese pronounciation is slightly different. A (ah) I (ee) O (oo) E (air) U (or)

Confused? Haha, don't worry it is never too easy to learn a different language.

あ(a)い(i)し(shi)て(te)る(ru) ------ 愛してる (I love you) Japanese
我(wo)爱(ai)你(ni) ------ 我爱你 (I love you) Chinese

It is true, chinese have more characters than japanese. Because like english, japanese (written) is made up of a set of alphabets (あいおえうが) while chinese is made up of individual words that form a sentence when stringed together. There are still loads of chinese characters that I do not know of till today!
choki
Gryffindor Prefect and Silent Guardian Of Stars

Postby fierce » Monday 23 February 2004 10:48:06am

Choki, further to your notes on the pronunciation of vowels in Japanese, I offer this phrase which i learnt when I started Japanese by correspondence:

Ma Eats Two Eggs and Oranges.

To break it down, Ma is the a sound, eats is the i sound, two is the u sound, eggs is the e sound, oranges is the o sound. Ma eats two eggs and oranges.

Whew! thats a lotta bold!

I believe that Chinese has more ideographs than japanese, although i'm not completely sure... Especially as i only did japanese for 2 months! I hope to continue learning it though.

I also studied French for five years through school, but the last time i studied it was 4 years ago, and i've forgotten so much :( i'm trying to jog my memory a bit and do an accelerated course this year before i go overseas next year ^_^
fierce
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Jotomicron » Monday 23 February 2004 10:56:15am

Choki!! Hi! I also know a bit of Japanese (a very short bit... though) but (sorry if I'm mistaken) I think you are not correct about some things...

choki wrote:However japanese pronounciation is slightly different. A (ah) I (ee) O (oo) E (air) U (or)

I really think O is pronounced (or) and U is procunced (oo)...

choki wrote:It is true, chinese have more characters than japanese. Because like english, japanese (written) is made up of a set of alphabets (あいおえうが) while chinese is made up of individual words that form a sentence when stringed together.

But Japanese also has characters to represent words... Plus, they have the "alphabet" (named kana) which come in two sets: Hiragana, representing the syllables thay use in their own words (used to write names in Japanese, and to explain the pronounciation) and Katakana, representing allmost every syllables they can pronounce, even if they don't use it in their language (like fa, fe, fo anf fi... they do not have these sound in Japanese, but to represent words from another country, they need to use it)... But they also have the "kanji", which consist of traditional Chinese characters adopted into Japanese, and also have the meaning of whole words...
I don't know how to write Japanese characters on the computer... so I can't give you examples... but you can visit this page to read what I mean...
Jotomicron

Postby Phinea Rogue » Monday 23 February 2004 1:13:18pm

Ahoj vsetci. Ako sa mate? Volam sa Phinea a toto je moj materinsky jazyk - slovencina. Ako sa vam paci? Tiez mam rada jazyky, studujem slovencinu a anglictinu na univerzite, ale nie som velmi dobra v jazykovede.

Hello everyone. How are you doing? My name's Phinea and this is my mother tongue - Slovak. How do you like it? I like languages too, I study Slovak and English at university, but I'm not really good in linguistics.
Phinea Rogue
Slytherin Prefect

Postby Jotomicron » Monday 23 February 2004 2:50:04pm

[quote="Phinea"]Tiez mam rada jazyky, studujem slovencinu a anglictinu na univerzite, ale nie som velmi dobra v jazykovede.[quote]
You have a word that is only a 'v'? weird!!!! I always thought words would need at least one vowel!
Jotomicron

Postby Broccoli » Monday 23 February 2004 3:36:15pm

My mother tongue is Russian and we also have prepositions that only consist of 1 consonant, like "v" (in), "s" (with), "k" (to).
Broccoli
Slytherin Prefect, Healer at St Mungo's and Slytherin Chaser

Postby Female_alien » Monday 23 February 2004 3:38:16pm

In crpatian you have a word (preposition) only with letter "s" and we have these words: vrt - garden, smrt - death, prst - finger and some other - because "R" can be like a vowel
Female_alien

Postby Female_alien » Monday 23 February 2004 3:43:34pm

I meant Croatian and s means with - like in Russian
Female_alien

Postby AngelicS_89 » Monday 23 February 2004 8:51:57pm

Phinea I understood some things you said!!!Anyway here's my favourite word!

Ljubav-who would like to guess what this word means?Not including Female_alien :grin:
AngelicS_89
Keeper of Smiles and Happiness

Postby Won Wheezy » Monday 23 February 2004 9:02:54pm

I guess it means Love or Friendship? :???:
Won Wheezy
Blower of Kisses, Tickler of Toes and gecko-smoocher

Postby AngelicS_89 » Monday 23 February 2004 9:14:01pm

Yeah it's Love or Amour or Liebe or ......
AngelicS_89
Keeper of Smiles and Happiness

Postby Female_alien » Monday 23 February 2004 9:24:57pm

I don't have a favourite word ... :???:
Female_alien

PreviousNext

Return to The Great Hall