Harry and Dumbldor related?

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

Postby Hermione Weasley » Saturday 9 August 2003 8:05:18pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Kaiser: I think that it was in CoS, in Tom Riddle's memory of the capture of Hagrid... I'm not cartain about that though. but we were definately told that he had alburn hair! :D

yes it was CoS b/c I remember it in the movie and I think i remember them talking about it in the book when i reread it
Hermione Weasley
Gryffindor Prefect, Healer at St Mungo's and Keeper of Songs

Postby Eol » Saturday 9 August 2003 9:16:38pm

You're basing your theory that Harry is related to Dumbledore solely because he had Auburn hair???? Come on people, stronger evidence please. Auburn is not an uncommon hair colour. Are all people with black hair related? I would be interested to see if there is any stronger evidence to support this theory, because at the moment I am still convinced that Dumbledore is only sympathising with Harry for the burden he will eventually have to bear.
Eol
Lightning Bearer

Postby Athena Appleton » Monday 2 February 2004 6:36:29pm

K, I don't think we're about to get the shock of our lives that Dumbledore is Harry's grandad... ummm, BUT...

Harry (who had always assumed that his only living relatives were the Dursleys) would have wanted to see the family who had already passed on. He couldn't have had the desire to see other living relatives if there weren't any (to his knowledge). Now, if he didn't know he had living relatives, they wouldn't have shown up in the Mirror of Erised (he was wishing to see his dead relatives).

Ummm, if we're going to start reaching really far to make everyone with the same hair color related, the Weasleys would be closely related to Harry.
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Krio » Tuesday 10 February 2004 4:22:04am

I think it's possible that Dumbledore and Harry are the same person. First sorry for my bad English.

Dumbledore like muggle candy (lemmon drop). He must taste this kind of candy when he was a child, but in his childhood I doubt that lemmon drop had been invented.

When McGonnagal said: "You think it -- wise -- to trust Hagrid with something as important as this?"
Dumbledore said: "I would trust Hagrid with my life" Maybe he refer to himself as a baby.

In the mirror of desire Ron Told to harry what were his deepest desires and this is real in book five. Maybe Harry (Dumbledore) wanted this, because Ron was his best friend in Hogwarts.
Krio
Muggle

Postby Athena Appleton » Tuesday 10 February 2004 5:03:28am

Krio wrote:I think it's possible that Dumbledore and Harry are the same person. First sorry for my bad English.

Welcome! 8-) Don't worry about bad English. Between bad grammar and bad typing, half of us spend all our time trying to figure out what the other people are saying. :-)

Dumbledore like muggle candy (lemmon drop). He must taste this kind of candy when he was a child, but in his childhood I doubt that lemmon drop had been invented.

I think it's unlikely that Dumbledore and Harry could be the same person, because there hasn't been any way so far that J.K. Rowling has ever been able to have one person/two bodies. I think they share similar traits, though.
With the lemon drop thing, I think this is more an insight to the personality of Dumbledore. Most wizards wouldn't bother with a muggle treat just because it's muggle, but he likes it for what it is. I think it shows the acceptance Dumbledore has for all living things.

When McGonnagal said: "You think it -- wise -- to trust Hagrid with something as important as this?"
Dumbledore said: "I would trust Hagrid with my life" Maybe he refer to himself as a baby.

I do think it's likely there's something to this sentence of McGonagall's (WHY would Dumbledore trust Hagrid with his life?), but, like I said, I don't think it's because Dumbledore is the baby, because there's a total lack of evidence of that.

In the mirror of desire Ron Told to harry what were his deepest desires and this is real in book five. Maybe Harry (Dumbledore) wanted this, because Ron was his best friend in Hogwarts.

Ummm... okay, I gotta admit, I'm not following you here at all. Yeah, I think, for whatever reason, what Ron sees in the Mirror of Erised comes true for him, but, uhhhhh... yeah. 8)
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Jotomicron » Tuesday 10 February 2004 8:45:51pm

Welcome :welcome: Krio! Don't worry about the english... mine is not so good, as well!!!

In my point of view, the only possible way of DD and Harry being the same person was with some sort of time travels... And I believe JKR won't use the time turner anymore... Besides, if the time turner is the only way of traveling in time, do you know how many times you ahd to trun in order to go 70 years to the past??? More than 610.000!!!!
Jotomicron
Producer of Happiness and Mysterious Metamorphmagus

Postby Athena Appleton » Tuesday 10 February 2004 8:51:42pm

more than 70 years... Rowling said in an interview that Dumbledore is 150 years old...
Athena Appleton

Postby Violet » Tuesday 10 February 2004 9:26:01pm

i really dont think that harry and dumbledore are either related of the same person.
They have been in the same place together too many times for them to be the same person.
And well i think it all rests on the fact that harry was sent to live with the Dursley's. If Dumbledore was related to harry in any way then i think that he would have taken him in, he wouldnt have let him go to the muggle world, especially to live with a family like the dursley's.
Violet
Serpentine Princess

Postby Marcus Baker » Tuesday 10 February 2004 9:36:57pm

Noo, i dont think that is true. DD tries to protect him, yes, and he is his "favorite" and takes care of him, but only cuz the phrophesy says so, and thats the only way Voldemort can fall..
Marcus Baker
Supreme Auror and Vanquisher of Evil

Postby Violet » Tuesday 10 February 2004 9:41:28pm

what so are you saying that you think they might be related?
Violet
Serpentine Princess

Postby Athena Appleton » Tuesday 10 February 2004 10:03:19pm

i still say that the charm that protects harry at the dursleys relies on EXACT blood match, opening the possibility that there are other relatives. Even parents wouldn't have an exact blood match, nor half-siblings... only full siblings.
Athena Appleton

Postby Jotomicron » Wednesday 11 February 2004 7:50:29pm

Well, as this is the world of magic, it might very well be true, and do believe so.
But, biologically speaking, even brothers (or sister) have different bloods. The ABO system, the Rhesus factor, and another 9 (or so) factors make each one's blood diffrente from the othrs, and genetic says that, if the parents have different blood types, the probabilaties for the children to have the same blood are few!

(Just a biolocial point of view... In JKR's world this could have little or no value!)
Jotomicron
Producer of Happiness and Mysterious Metamorphmagus

Postby jarvan49 » Wednesday 11 February 2004 8:43:19pm

Well It is true that everyone's blood is different but there are only few things that matter in blood. For example, everyone with A+ blood has the same blood; yes its true that there are other things that differ it from one individual to another, it is still the same. But thats all in Biology. I agree with Jotomicron, in the magic world that probably has no value. I mean look at all the animals that have been introduced in the books, surely they would have been discovered by the muggles by now.
jarvan49
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Athena Appleton » Wednesday 11 February 2004 10:31:56pm

*sticks my tongue out at Jotomicron* don't do that to me, you know I'm not smart about that kind of stuff!!!! :grin:

we've been over this... the same blood LINES... only in exact blood-siblings would they have the same mom, same pop, same great-aunt Bertha... I see it as kind of the same thing as finding a match for a bone marrow transplant... the closer the relative (usually full-siblings are the first choice) the more chance it'll match. So, yeah, Harry could have stayed with another relative, but the further they were in the family tree, the less protection Harry would have had. I don't think he would have been put in an orphan asylum or anything if Petunia hadn't taken him, I think Dumbledore would have (sadly) taken him to the next-closest relative, knowing that the protection Harry would have at this relative's house wouldn't be as strong as at Petunia's. You'll see. I'm right. :grin:
Athena Appleton

Postby darkcloak » Thursday 12 February 2004 3:59:55pm

Harry and Dumbledore do share a bond, but I doubt it's anything to do with being related.

Firstly I think that Dumbledore took it on himself to be a protector figure to Harry when his parents died and his real godfather (Sirius) was imprisoned.

Also he has known about the prophesy for all of Harry's life and the burden of it must weigh on him, as it would do anyone.

Also it may be possible that Dumbledore does indeed know exactly how Harry feels (as he tells him). We know that DD defeated the evil wizard Grindelwald (sp) in 1945. Perhaps DD has had the weight of a prophesy on him for most of his life about him and Grindelwald dueling to the last.

Also I think that DD knows that Harry will not be able to defeat Voldemort on his own due to the fact that he doesn't know enough magic and also that he doesn't have enough anger within him to kill. Therefore perhaps DD has realised (or it has been prophesised again :-? ) that he will need to sacrifice himself for Harry in the end.

These reason are why I think Harry and DD share so many similarities and have a distinct bond between them. I also think that they are also both good people who are willing to save others.
darkcloak
Fully Qualified Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Theories