An Interesting Philosophy

Have you seen the movies, either in the cinema theatre, or on video or DVD, or thinking of seeing them? Share your views here.

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Snow_Crystal

Which title is better?

Sorceres stone
18%
Philosophers stone
82%

Total votes : 28

Postby Marcus Baker » Tuesday 23 December 2003 8:35:46pm

Hmm, im going with sorcerer's stone, just cuz it sounds a lot more suspecious than philosophers stone.
Marcus Baker
Supreme Auror and Vanquisher of Evil

Postby Mint » Monday 29 December 2003 6:52:11pm

Phinea wrote:but I guess "Philosopher's" sounds better, more connected to that legend about alchymists.

Perhaps, but I think that sorcerer's stone is more representative of Harry Potter then Philosopher's stone....there are no alchemists there, and its not concentrated on science or mythology - its concentrated on Magic.
Mint
Slytherin Prefect, Hogwarts Librarian and Milady of the Night

Location: Chasing evil duck commander Choki >:( on a chocobo!!!

Postby AngelicS_89 » Monday 29 December 2003 10:40:00pm

I think it's better Philosopher's stone like Phinea wrote it's more connected to legend about alchymists...And the point of Philosopher's stone is to extend life and in book it does exactly that!
AngelicS_89
Keeper of Smiles and Happiness

Postby Mint » Tuesday 30 December 2003 4:46:05pm

Yes, but the point of the book has nothing to do with extending life - its more of Harry figuring out what the "extending of the life" that Stone brings is to be used for.
Mint
Slytherin Prefect, Hogwarts Librarian and Milady of the Night

Location: Chasing evil duck commander Choki >:( on a chocobo!!!

Re: An Interesting Philosophy

Postby Ginny Malfoy » Tuesday 30 December 2003 4:52:55pm

thecheese wrote:I know this must be somewhere on this site but i acvnt find it.

Does anyone know why insome places the first harry potter movie is called HP and the philosophers stone (Australia) and in other places it is called HP and the sorceres stone (America)???

I believe Philosopher's Stone is the original title...it only got changed to Sorcerer's Stone in America because the American publishers felt people would react more favorably to 'sorcerer' than 'philosopher'. In America, I think, 'sorcerer' has more to do with magic and wizardry, and 'philosopher' conjures up images of Socrates and Plato. Just a thought!
Ginny Malfoy
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: Reading in the Slytherin Common Room...YES, we DO know how to read! :p

Postby Mistress Siana » Wednesday 31 December 2003 1:36:53am

Is it called Sourcerer's Stone anywhere apart from America? I think it sounds better, maybe because english is not my first language, so I don't feel the connection of the word philosopher with alchymists. To me, "philosopher" is more connected with Sokrates etc, just as Ginny said.
Mistress Siana
Slytherin Chaser and Devil's advocate

Postby AngelicS_89 » Wednesday 31 December 2003 6:45:33pm

My first language isn't English either,but I have heard the legend about Philosopher's stone that extends life and from metal makes gold... Translateted from our language the name is stone of wisdom so I think it's closer to Philosopher than to sorcere...
Anyway the book has nothing to do with extending life but if there is already name for something that Harry should find out what it is and what it does why making up new name?

Like it was already said I agree that the name Sorcere's stone is just to attract young people to watch the movie/read the book...
AngelicS_89

Postby Meg Boyd » Thursday 1 January 2004 4:29:08pm

In my opinion, Philospher's Stone makes waaay more sense. The actual Philospher's stone is a well known mythological stone in alchemy history. I learned about it in my chemistry course two years ago, and ever since then I've believed that the title should have been kept as PS. If you think about it, the story makes no logical sense, since there is no such thing as a Sorceror's Stone. JKR is careful to base her plot line with existing mythology, legends, and fables. Yet, by changing the title to SS, it rather changes her original intent. However, it is a known fact that the early editions of Harry Potter books (the first few printings of PS & COS) in America are "dumbed" down changing british slang to american...ie Jumper to Sweater. They probably changed the title to suit the different vocabulary of a young american audience, a major economic power in my country. The more likely a child was to understand the title, the more likely they are to purchase it, since the original books were marketed for smaller children. As for Canada having the PS title, I am sure that has something to do with the actual Canadian publisher. My guess is that the Canadian publisher wasn't so concerned with having every single word translated into west english; just a personal preference. I live in Wisconsin, which is rather close to Canada (just a lake separates us) so the movie posters in my town advertising the PS/SS movie had Philospher's Stone as the title. Anyways, I guess when you think about it it doesn't really matter, but I still think that Philospher just has that rich history about it that jerks thoughts of Flamel and other famous alchemists. This is contrasting to my reaction to the word sorceror, which brings a thought of Mickey Mouse with his red robe and blue hat...he he he (da da dum dum dum...)

Anyways, sorry I prattled on so, have a good new year everyone!
Meg Boyd
Head Girl, Ravenclaw Prefect and Maker of Witty Random Statements Since 1986 A.D.

Postby Phinea Rogue » Saturday 3 January 2004 5:03:42pm

Also thinking about Nicolas Flamel... It should be the Philosopher's Stone. If JKR has Flamel there who was (some think still is) a real historical character (http://www.alchemylab.com/flamel.htm), then it makes more sense to use Philosopher's Stone as that was what he created. It's almost a term. I wonder whether we'll hear more about Nicolas Flamel in the following books. In the 1st book Dumbledore said that he would die, but did he say that he has already died?
Phinea Rogue
Slytherin Prefect

Postby AngelicS_89 » Saturday 3 January 2004 5:14:01pm

I agree with Phinea and Meg Boyd.Meg Boyd you explained it so good,and I was thinking the same thing,I just didn't know how to say it all :grin:
AngelicS_89

Postby Melian Le Fay » Wednesday 25 February 2004 3:02:23am

In my country, the title could have been translated both ways - The Sorcerer's Stone, and The Philosopher's Stone, but they translated it "The Stone of Wisdom". Actually, it sound's verry pretty. And since the word "philosophy" means "love for wisdom", I think they went for the more "philosophy" title... I like this one better, since the word "philosopher" implies more than just plain sorcery; it includes wisdom as well, which gives it certain depth...
Melian Le Fay
Muggle

Postby Violet » Wednesday 25 February 2004 3:35:49am

where abouts are you from Melian Le Fay? do you think that its taken much away from the story havign change, such as the title, being made?
Violet
Serpentine Princess

Postby AngelicS_89 » Wednesday 25 February 2004 11:10:17pm

Melian wrote:In my country, the title could have been translated both ways - The Sorcerer's Stone, and The Philosopher's Stone, but they translated it "The Stone of Wisdom". Actually, it sound's verry pretty. And since the word "philosophy" means "love for wisdom", I think they went for the more "philosophy" title... I like this one better, since the word "philosopher" implies more than just plain sorcery; it includes wisdom as well, which gives it certain depth...

In my country it's also called(transleted)"The stone of wisdom" :eek: :eek: Weird!Where you from?
AngelicS_89

Postby Melian Le Fay » Tuesday 2 March 2004 5:22:38pm

Violet wrote:where abouts are you from Melian Le Fay? do you think that its taken much away from the story havign change, such as the title, being made?

Well, it doesn't feel like it altered the "spirit" of the story... Actually, in my language saying "the stone of wisdom" sounds prettier than saying "the philosopher's stone"... And it doesn't change the meaning, since we say either "philosophers" or "wise men" (like one word)... so, the only question is which title is better - "sorcerer's stone" or "philosopher's stone"....

oh, and I'm from Serbia. Where are you guys from?
Melian Le Fay
Muggle

Postby AngelicS_89 » Wednesday 3 March 2004 2:31:59pm

:eek: :eek:
Melian Le Fay wrote:oh, and I'm from Serbia. Where are you guys from?

You got to be kiding me!!!?I'm from Serbia too!!!!Which city?
AngelicS_89

PreviousNext

Return to The Movies