Question about Floo powder

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

Question about Floo powder

Postby fathead » Saturday 27 September 2003 9:37:16pm

Hi i'm new here and i just wanna say that i love this site! :grin: So if this question was already asked please don't kill me!! :(

I was just wondering if a student of hogwarts had brought some floo powder with them, would they be able to use it in their common room fires? That would make it really easy for students to go anywhere after classes. Imagine the possibilities...? Did i make a mistake?
fathead
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby gecko » Saturday 27 September 2003 9:52:11pm

Hiya fathead! Don't worry, nobody kills anyone around here!

You know, that is a fabulous idea! But maybe the Hogwart's fires are protected against it? Just like you can't apparate into the Hogwart's grounds. Mm, but they did use other fires to speak through, which required floo powder as well.

Those fires are a mischief-maker's dream! Just use a bit floo powder, say you want to go to snape's room, and make all his hair fall out! teehee :lol: !
gecko
Supreme Mugwump, Walker of Walls and Receiver of Won's Smooches

Postby Charis » Saturday 27 September 2003 9:53:24pm

welcome, fathead! :D

i don't think anyone's thought of that, good point! but it would probably be against school rules... like you said, so many possibilities! if it was allowed i'd think we'd have heard of someone doing that before. but maybe it'll some up again in later books.
Charis
Lady of the Lake

Postby Scellanis » Saturday 27 September 2003 9:55:16pm

hmm...i was thinking originally it would be possible if the fire was registered with the floo network (mr weasley says about registering the dursley's fire in book 4) but i thought naturally they wouldnt be registered otherwise you'd have students escaping really easily and people getting into the common rooms......but then, isnt that thing where a head appears in the fire done by floo powder in which case the common room fires must be connected cos sirius uses them several times doesn't he....

but then i think they must have been disconnected while umbridge was there...cos harry could only use her fire.....
Scellanis
Hufflepuff Prefect

Location: Pretending to be a sea slug with 'go faster' stripes...

Postby gecko » Saturday 27 September 2003 10:16:38pm

Yeah I think they are connected to the floo-network, and were also connected while Umbridge was there, but Harry didn't use it because they were controlled or uhm, spied on (by the ministy?) or something like that, I think.
gecko
Supreme Mugwump, Walker of Walls and Receiver of Won's Smooches

Postby Scellanis » Saturday 27 September 2003 10:41:39pm

ah yes...knew he couldnt use it for some reason....
Scellanis
Hufflepuff Prefect

Location: Pretending to be a sea slug with 'go faster' stripes...

Postby choki » Sunday 28 September 2003 9:51:53am

But don't you all think security of Hogwarts will be ineffective if one can use the floo network? There should be more magics, isn't it?
I mean take a look at the apparating and disapparating methods, I'm sure these are far superior magic than floo-network yet you can't use in it Hogwarts.
choki
Gryffindor Prefect and Silent Guardian Of Stars

Postby Albus » Sunday 28 September 2003 10:32:18am

I agree with choki, Hogwarts has so many charms surrounding it that I don't think possible for the students to go here and there by the floo powder; except, of course, if they were helped by Dumbledore... :grin:
Albus
Admirer of Numbers and Watcher of the Stars

Postby fathead » Sunday 28 September 2003 11:32:24am

i think it's possible to do it, but maybe none of the students have thought about it before. i mean sirius used the gryffindor common room fire several times, so maybe its possible.
fathead

Postby fathead » Sunday 28 September 2003 11:38:54am

i just had an idea! maybe the fires are bewitched so that only teachers and non-students are allowed to use them. umbridge's one was an exception?
but then i suppose that anyone would be able to come into hogwarts as they pleased? unless DD helped Sirius, like Albus suggested. :???:
fathead

Postby Albus » Sunday 28 September 2003 12:00:56pm

I think there's a difference between using a fire for communicating (as Sirius did with Gryffondor one and Harry with Umbridge's) and for moving to another place (as the Weasleys did for the Quidditch World Cup): I think the second possibility is impossible at Hogwarts
Albus
Admirer of Numbers and Watcher of the Stars

Return to The Books