Petunia Dursley

Who do you like best and who could you definately live without? Will there be romance in the air for any of them and who will end up with who?

Moderators: Mistress Siana, Q.Araignee, Scarlet Lioness

Petunia Dursley

Postby masterofsparks » Friday 11 July 2003 1:23:03am

The fact that, apparently, Aunt Petunia knows more than she's been letting on was one of the more interesting wrinkles in OotP (for me, anyway). Any thoughts/theories on other stuff she might be hiding?
masterofsparks
Squib

Explanation

Postby highsorcerer » Friday 11 July 2003 7:05:30am

I've posted my theory elsewhere, but I'll repeat it here. Let me repeat the known facts.

Petunia hated Lily, her "perfect" sister.
The Evans were very proud of Lily for becoming a witch.
Petunia hates the magical world.
Petunia knows about Azkaban, Dementors, and charms. Her explanation of overhearing it from James Potter was an obvious cover-up for a sliop.
Lily was born to non-magic parents (evidenced in OotP, when Snape refers to her as a mudblood).

The only reasonable explanation of why Petunia knows so much about the magical world is because she had no choice - she grew up with it. However, her parents were not wizards. It seems to be a contradiction, unless you remember there is another class of people who are neither fish nor foul (muggles or wizards). Squibs.

If one or both parents of Lily and Petunia were Squibs, they would have all the necessary background and knowledge of the wizarding world due to their having grown up in it, and would pass it along to their own children. They would have been thrilled that Squibs produced a magical child (Lily), and Petunia was have ended up being insanely jealous she was born a muggle. This would mainifest itself as a intense hatred and rejection of the entire magical world, particularly her sister.

I'm personally convinced my theory is the correct one, simply because it provides a complete explanation for every available fact.
highsorcerer
Department of Mysteries Unspeakable and Registered Animagus (Parrot)

Postby masterofsparks » Friday 11 July 2003 11:31:27am

Interesting. Sorry if this was a repeat query but I didn't see anything else in this forum about it.
masterofsparks
Squib

Squib Theory

Postby highsorcerer » Saturday 12 July 2003 5:26:06am

It was buried somewhere in the theory category, not here, so it's no wonder you didn't see it before.
highsorcerer

Postby AccioNiffler » Monday 14 July 2003 2:16:03pm

That's a great theory! :grin: I never raelly put much thought into Aunt Petunia because I dislike her so much, but that makes a lot of sense, their parents being squibs and all.
AccioNiffler
Caretaker of all Flying Fluffballs and Stewardess Extraordinaire

Postby Schnuffel » Monday 4 August 2003 10:31:53am

Hi,

it could also be possible that dementors have killed petunias parents(harry grandparents).due to that,she knows how dementors kill people.thats why she knows that they suck peoples souls.
just a theory,but it could be possible,couldn`t it?

cu,
kathrin
Schnuffel
Squib

Postby AccioNiffler » Monday 4 August 2003 3:46:30pm

I guess that could happen, but why would the dementors kill lily and petunia's parents?
AccioNiffler
Caretaker of all Flying Fluffballs and Stewardess Extraordinaire

Postby Schnuffel » Monday 4 August 2003 5:24:24pm

Well,
dementors were/are allies to voldemort and his death eaters.at least some of the death eaters were schoolmates of james and lily, so they knew she is muggleborn and they detest muggleborn wizards and witches.
additionally,they knew that lily and james fought against voldy.i believe that would be enough to kill them.
especially after rereading book four and the part where sirius ( :cry: )talked to ron,harry+hermoine about the first war.he said there were killings all over the place.

cu,
kathrin
Schnuffel
Squib

Postby Tuima » Monday 4 August 2003 8:52:45pm

[quote="Schnuffel"]Hi,

it could also be possible that dementors have killed petunias parents(harry grandparents).due to that,she knows how dementors kill people.thats why she knows that they suck peoples souls.

I dunno, she seemed pretty shocked when Harry told them about the dementor's Kiss. And it seemed like we would have heard something about dementors kissing two muggles/squibs, especially as they are Harry's grandparents. Not to mention they'd still be around, "simply existing", ya know, in St. Mungo's or something. :( . What do they do with Kiss victims anyway? :???:
Tuima
Fourth Year

Re: Explanation

Postby Nacht » Tuesday 19 August 2003 11:31:49am

highsorcerer wrote:Petunia knows about Azkaban, Dementors, and charms.

Wouldn't seven X-mas holidays and seven summers in company of a Hogwarts student explain this?

highsorcerer wrote:The only reasonable explanation of why Petunia knows so much about the magical world...

"so much"? These things are only some basic knowlegde I think. Remember that Lily's time in Hogwarts was during Voldemorts terror.
Nacht
Second Year

Postby Vivian Borgin » Tuesday 19 August 2003 6:59:39pm

Maybe not. For all we know, Lily might have kept a tight lip around the house during vacations, even around her magic-supportive parents. Doesn't the Ministry forbid student magic at home, and generally discourage wizards and witches from revealing things magical in the presence of Muggles?

Plus, how is it that two full siblings could be a witch and a Muggle? Wouldn't one of their parents have had to have some magical ancestry in there somewhere, thereby making the non-magical kid a Squib?
Vivian Borgin
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Nacht » Tuesday 19 August 2003 7:18:01pm

Vivian Borgin wrote:Maybe not. For all we know, Lily might have kept a tight lip around the house during vacations, even around her magic-supportive parents. Doesn't the Ministry forbid student magic at home, and generally discourage wizards and witches from revealing things magical in the presence of Muggles?

Well Hermione's parents are allowed in Diagon Alley. I really don't buy it that Lily's parents are kept completely in the dark about the wizard world.

Vivian Borgin wrote:Plus, how is it that two full siblings could be a witch and a Muggle? Wouldn't one of their parents have had to have some magical ancestry in there somewhere, thereby making the non-magical kid a Squib?

Everything in the books up to now supports that is is possible for muggles to have a wizard kid. ie Hermione, Dean Thomas
Nacht
Second Year

Re: Explanation

Postby Charis » Tuesday 19 August 2003 7:27:13pm

highsorcerer wrote:Petunia hated Lily, her "perfect" sister.
The Evans were very proud of Lily for becoming a witch.
Petunia hates the magical world.
Petunia knows about Azkaban, Dementors, and charms. Her explanation of overhearing it from James Potter was an obvious cover-up for a sliop.
Lily was born to non-magic parents (evidenced in OotP, when Snape refers to her as a mudblood).

The only reasonable explanation of why Petunia knows so much about the magical world is because she had no choice - she grew up with it. However, her parents were not wizards. It seems to be a contradiction, unless you remember there is another class of people who are neither fish nor foul (muggles or wizards). Squibs.

If one or both parents of Lily and Petunia were Squibs, they would have all the necessary background and knowledge of the wizarding world due to their having grown up in it, and would pass it along to their own children. They would have been thrilled that Squibs produced a magical child (Lily), and Petunia was have ended up being insanely jealous she was born a muggle. This would mainifest itself as a intense hatred and rejection of the entire magical world, particularly her sister.

I'm personally convinced my theory is the correct one, simply because it provides a complete explanation for every available fact.

But, i was under the impression that Lily couldn't be a mudblood and have squibs for parents, because in order to be a mudblood you have to have muggle parents. Squibs are people born into magical families and can't do magic, they aren't complete muggles because they have to have some wizard blood in them from their wizard parents. but, maybe one of their parents was a squib and the other a muggle? that would explain how Lily was counted as a mudblood and for how happy her parents were that she was a witch. I might be confused about the definition of a mudblood, that's just what I got from the books. so who knows? Anythings possible with JK :P

Vivian Borgin wrote:Plus, how is it that two full siblings could be a witch and a Muggle? Wouldn't one of their parents have had to have some magical ancestry in there somewhere, thereby making the non-magical kid a Squib?

I thought that you could be a witch and have complete muggle parents, you just sort of had the gifts, I suppose. I could be wrong, though.
Charis
Lady of the Lake

Postby highsorcerer » Tuesday 19 August 2003 7:58:22pm

Squibs have magical parents, but no power. Like Arabella Figg, who knows all about the wizarding world, but isn't a part of it except as a protector of Harry.

So I don't think it's a stretch to say that Snape calling her a mudblood was inconsistant.
highsorcerer

Postby Charis » Wednesday 20 August 2003 10:16:59pm

you're probably right, High Sorcerer, but still I think its a bit amiguous (Is that the right word?) :)

and, by the way, i do think its a good theory! :D
Charis
Lady of the Lake

Next

Return to Characters