Harry and Dumbldor related?

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

Harry and Dumbldor related?

Postby LaceyCrane » Tuesday 22 July 2003 9:58:13pm

Does anybody think it is possible for Harry and Dumbldor to be related? At the end of the fifth book when he was telling Harry about all the stuff he didn't want to tell him before he really seemed to care about him. Add that with the fact that he was close with Lily and James and had red hair when he was younger maybe he was Lily's father or something.

What does everybody else think?
LaceyCrane
Second Year

Relations

Postby highsorcerer » Tuesday 22 July 2003 10:08:16pm

I'd say it's rather unlikely. First, if Dumbledore was related to Harry on his mother's side, he could have taken Harry in, and the blood-charm would work. Dumbledore said that Petunia was Harry's only living relative.

Second, the Mirror of Erised would have revealed Dumbledore to Harry, if he was a relative.
highsorcerer
Department of Mysteries Unspeakable and Registered Animagus (Parrot)

Postby Sacred Guardian » Wednesday 23 July 2003 1:40:36am

that is true, the mirror would have revealed this, i had a topic about this in the old theories forum, but it was a while back, and i havd fogotten about this fact, thanks for pointing it out
Sacred Guardian
Hufflepuff Prefect, Hufflepuff Chaser and Hogwarts' Master of Secrets

Postby Marcus Baker » Thursday 24 July 2003 5:59:36pm

Maybe, thats probally one of the reasons why he protected him in the 5th book, and created his "wonderful plan".
Marcus Baker
Supreme Auror and Vanquisher of Evil

Postby redhead2531 » Saturday 26 July 2003 1:43:48am

It is possible, except I really doubt it. But if DD really was Harry's grandfather would he really want Harry to know? The school would find out and everyone would think Harry was getting special treatment. And this is only the begining of reasons.
redhead2531
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Meg Boyd » Saturday 26 July 2003 3:19:09am

I doubt it...I mean DD was a good friend of his parents, so naturally like other friends of his parents (such as Lupin, Sirius, and Hagrid), DD cares about Harry's well being...
Meg Boyd
Head Girl, Ravenclaw Prefect and Maker of Witty Random Statements Since 1986 A.D.

Postby Rory Pridinham » Tuesday 29 July 2003 12:45:20pm

Just an idea..... you know how in Ootp Sirius was distantly related to people like Malfoy and some Death Eaters? Well, in some way Harry could be related to Dumbledore but just distantly. However, he wouldn't be able to 'take him in" because the relation is not as potent as his aunts. You follow? Like, if Dumbledore was his great uncle twice removed or something, his relation would be so watered down the blood charm would never work. Or, I could be wrong...... :) ... anyway, it's all speculation.
Rory Pridinham
Chief Falconer and Caretender of Magical Creatures

Postby Holly Golightly » Friday 1 August 2003 4:34:42am

Rory, Ido understand what you are sayng, but I still jsut cant' accept that DD and Harry can somehow be related and DD not having told Harry.

And I wonder if DD is a pureblood or not? :-?
Holly Golightly
Ravenclaw Chaser, Keeper of the Keys and Dancer of the Dances

Postby justin » Friday 1 August 2003 8:10:23am

Yeah, DD would want to stay away from Harry, seeing as the rest of Harry's relations don't live to a ripe old age :(
justin
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Holly Golightly » Friday 1 August 2003 8:53:07am

Hrmm,I dont' really know about that one...

If you were in DD's place, an saw how much Harry wanted a family (ie, his vision inthe Mirror of Erised) and you were related to him, dont' you think think that you would want to tell him, instead of keeping away due tot he possibility that you might get hurt???

:???:
Holly Golightly

Postby Hermy » Friday 1 August 2003 2:26:38pm

I agree with you completely Holly. DD cares a lot about people and he would tell Harry if they were related.
DD may favour Harry because he knows he has been orphaned by Voldemort murdering his parents and the fact that he has been through hell with the Dursleys and he feels a bit guilty even though he knows that it was the best way to protect him.
Hermy
Magizoologist

Postby Eol » Friday 8 August 2003 10:19:05pm

If Dumbledore, possibly the most powerful wizard of the modern age, were related to Harry, why would he send him to live with the Dursleys? Dumbledore could protect him easily.

The closeness that Dumbledore feels for Harry is because he knows the prophecy and the burden Harry will eventually have to bear and sympathises.
Eol
Lightning Bearer

Postby Kaizer » Saturday 9 August 2003 1:27:20am

where does it say dumbledore had red hair when he was younger?
Kaizer
Sixth Year

Postby Hermione Weasley » Saturday 9 August 2003 4:14:26am

I don't think that Dumbledore is related to any of the major characters it would just be to predictable.I like to think of DD as a close friend that harry can look to for advice when life gets a little hectic(s/p)
Hermione Weasley
Gryffindor Prefect, Healer at St Mungo's and Keeper of Songs

Postby Holly Golightly » Saturday 9 August 2003 8:04:25am

Kaiser: I think that it was in CoS, in Tom Riddle's memory of the capture of Hagrid... I'm not cartain about that though. but we were definately told that he had alburn hair! :D
Holly Golightly

Next

Return to Theories