Small inconsistency with ron's quidditch perfromance

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

Small inconsistency with ron's quidditch perfromance

Postby vacuum » Friday 11 July 2003 4:45:45am

OK, I picked this up while I was reading but I didnt want to go back and now that I am done I dopnt feel like searching for it.

Ron's really terrible game, the one where Ginny caught the snitch to put him out of his misery. JK says that he missed thirteen goals, but the final score was something like 240-230. Wouldn't that imply him missing 24 goals? I am almost positive that she said he missed 13 goals, but I am not positive about what the final was.. I know it was at least 160, cause ginny caught the snitch and they lost.

Cab abyone confirm/explain this?
vacuum
Squib

Postby choki » Friday 11 July 2003 11:35:48am

maybe the gryffindor team fouled a lot during that match, points will be awarded to other team?
choki
Gryffindor Prefect and Silent Guardian Of Stars

Postby Charis » Friday 11 July 2003 3:51:52pm

no, because when you foul, the other team gets a free shot on goal. that would mean Ron still missed a goal.

but, actually, Ron missed 14 goals, so, that wouls have only made it 140 instead of 240. good catch, vacuum, i think u found a mistake!
Charis
Lady of the Lake

Postby yasmane » Friday 11 July 2003 10:02:43pm

I don't agree with you.
I think there is no mistake. When JKR says Ron missed 14 goals whereas we find a score of 240, may be she just wants to say that 14 over 24 goals are under Ron's responsibility, but the other 10 goals, well Ron was not responsible for.
I'm not sure I'm right, but anyway I see this as the only possibility if I know well the Quidditch's rules (which is definitely not sure).
yasmane
Sixth Year

Postby Charis » Saturday 12 July 2003 8:21:12pm

ok, thats a good possibility... but...how would the goals not be Ron's responsibility? I mean... he is the keeper... :-? *is puzzled*
Charis
Lady of the Lake

Postby yasmane » Saturday 12 July 2003 9:30:43pm

I do agree, but it's a little like in football when the goalkeeper must face a penalty.
If there is a goal, he's not responsible, and the same when sometimes we say he couldn't have done anything.
Well, the doubt remains.
yasmane
Sixth Year

Postby vacuum » Monday 14 July 2003 4:36:16am

I dont know much about football (or soccer to us yanks), but I think of it in Hockey terms..

If the score is 3-0 in a devils game, that means Brodeur missed three saves. Even if he was behind the goal on the ground, they would ay he missed it. Or if he was taken out to add an extra man on the ice, if the other team scores it counts against his record.

Obviously Quidditch is not hockey or soccer. Its something none of us know much about. But it seems that he is the keeper. And we don't know of any instances where the goalie is removed from the goal. Plus, they couldn't have substituted him, right? I dont think they even have a backup.

I know its small and picky, I just wasn't sure if I was missing something or what. I think its a mistake, but an extremely minor one. No biggie.

I'm not really a big fan of quidditch anyway. The whole catching the snitch thing and ending the game with 150 point bonus is a little weird for me. I guess it adds som dramatic style, and thats good for a book. But I couldn't imagine a real sport I watch on TV with that kind of setup.

Can you imagine if a football game (american football) ended when player successfully performed a backflip into the endzone and they were awarded 100 points? The whole game would be pointless. The whole team would be gymnasts. I dunno, I dont want to be a weiner or anything, just never meshed well with me.
vacuum
Squib

Postby Ju-DedoH » Monday 14 July 2003 12:02:53pm

i agree, the snitch thing seems a bit too much for a real game, the whole game sort of depends on the seeker ...
Ju-DedoH
Hufflepuff Prefect, Divination Teacher and Sgt. Pepper

Postby yasmane » Tuesday 15 July 2003 11:57:57am

Well,
you should re-read book Nb 4, with the Quidditch world cup at the beginning, where the team catching the snitch finally lose.
I agree that catching the snitch usually gives you the victory, but not always.
And anyway, this Quidditch game are really a lot of fun.
:grin:
yasmane
Sixth Year

Postby Ju-DedoH » Tuesday 15 July 2003 4:30:30pm

that's not what i meant, I just think that it is such a random way to end the game, that real matchs could'nt happen (even if we had brommsticks and a snitch and bludger and all) because no one would accept winning or losing attributed by such a lucky act as "seeing the snitch before the other seeker"
Ju-DedoH

Postby Gypsy » Tuesday 15 July 2003 4:44:39pm

What the book actually says about Ron letting in the 14th goal is "I was hard to sat what the worst thing was: Harry thought it was a close run thing between Ron's fourteenth failed save........", and then later Fred said " I hanen't enen got the heart to take the mickey out of him....Mind you, when he missed the fouteenth -" and then made wild motions with his arms as if doing doggy paddle.

I think the way in which Fred imitated the failed save indicated that it was a particularly bad save. If this is true, it nay only have been 'the worst thing', due to Ron's awful keeping against this particular shot, not because he had let so many in. If this is the case, Hufflepuff may have scored more goals after the fourteenth, explaining what would otherwise be a mistake on JK's part. Hope this explanation makes sense :-?
Gypsy
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Ju-DedoH » Tuesday 15 July 2003 4:49:18pm

It does cos' hufflepuff are the best, just like the other houses mind you ...
Ju-DedoH

Postby Eol » Sunday 17 August 2003 9:34:19pm

Gypsy wrote: I think the way in which Fred imitated the failed save indicated that it was a particularly bad save. If this is true, it nay only have been 'the worst thing', due to Ron's awful keeping against this particular shot, not because he had let so many in. If this is the case, Hufflepuff may have scored more goals after the fourteenth,

Gypsy has got it exactly right, Hufflepuff scored lots more afterwards, but the 14th attempt was particularly bad. Perhaps Hufflepuff scored spectacular goals after that, which Ron had so chance of saving them.
Eol
Lightning Bearer

Return to The Books