Ginny Weasley

Who do you like best and who could you definately live without? Will there be romance in the air for any of them and who will end up with who?

Moderators: Mistress Siana, Q.Araignee, Scarlet Lioness

Postby English » Sunday 6 July 2003 10:12:58pm

Breifly- notice how her love life got no focus whatsoever. We know she had a boyfriend but it was hardly mentioned- and they never seemed to act like a couple.
English
Second Year

Postby Charis » Monday 7 July 2003 12:55:37am

yeah, but Ginny isn't the focus of the book. when she gets more interaction with the main focus of the book (harry) she'll be focused on more. (hmm...should I say focused ONE more time? :razz: )
Charis
Lady of the Lake

Postby zledm007 » Monday 7 July 2003 1:20:32am

very good point charis. that is probably the answer to many questions people have about why certain items arent' focused on more or why we don't know much about certain things. JKR has written this series, and is currently writing (i hope) it w/ the main focus on harry potter all the time. i can't remember any time in any of the books that there was a story being told and harry wasn't involved somehow. we as readers are finding out everything along w/ harry.

in any case, in an effort to keep w/ the theme of this thread, ginny is definitely becoming more of a central character. i like that a lot. in this latest book we really got to know ginny a lot better. we found out that she isn't just the little girl that we had been introduced to, but there is really some depth to her.

i think that a harry/ginny relationship is a definite possibility, but i don't know how rin would feel about it. i agree and would like to see harry get to know her a litte better before anything happens between them. i don't want to see any harry/ginny thing turn out like harry and cho.
zledm007
Divination Teacher and Jazz Master for the Universe

Postby Charis » Monday 7 July 2003 2:16:54am

yes, please, no more relationships like Harry and Cho!!

i disagree about Ron being opposed to Harry and Ginny, though, before i read book 5 i thought so, but looking closer at his actions in OotP it certainly seems like he wants them to be together... or at least would rather Harry and Ginny be together than Ginny and someone else.
Charis
Lady of the Lake

Postby zledm007 » Monday 7 July 2003 2:19:59am

yeah i suppose. ron would probably prefer to see ginny w/ someone he knows and trusts, not someone like that michael whatever his last name was character. but you've got to admit, if your best friend was going out w/ your sister, that'd be weird. at least i think so. :D
zledm007
Divination Teacher and Jazz Master for the Universe

Postby Gwared » Monday 7 July 2003 11:03:07am

It's not that weird, it happens quite a lot among groups of friends and whilst I've never done it I know several people who have. Also it's a continual source for ribbing your friends on :D .

Harry and Cho didn't work out because both had been through traumatic experiences and needed comfort and safety in a relationship which they couldn't provide each other.
Gwared
Gryffindor Prefect, Landlord of the Three Broomsticks and Common Welsh Green Dragon Keeper

Postby LaceyCrane » Thursday 17 July 2003 10:45:19pm

I think the only reason Ginny had a relationship with Micheal was so she wouldn't be obsessed with Harry anymore. Micheal was a character we didn't know and because of that we wouldn't really care that they broke up (the reason they didn't focus on the relationship and only mentioned it a few times). JK probably did that to clear the way for a Ginny and Harry to get together and have a realistic relationship that isn't about hero worship.
LaceyCrane
Second Year

Postby Gwared » Friday 18 July 2003 9:06:34pm

LaceyCrane wrote:I think the only reason Ginny had a relationship with Micheal was so she wouldn't be obsessed with Harry anymore. Micheal was a character we didn't know and because of that we wouldn't really care that they broke up (the reason they didn't focus on the relationship and only mentioned it a few times). JK probably did that to clear the way for a Ginny and Harry to get together and have a realistic relationship that isn't about hero worship.

Exactly, the power balance has changed in Ginny's favour and she is now in a position whereby a relationship with Harry could work.
Gwared
Gryffindor Prefect, Landlord of the Three Broomsticks and Common Welsh Green Dragon Keeper

Postby HuffleDuck » Saturday 26 July 2003 7:38:20am

maybe Ginny was dating michael wasn't to be obsessed with Harry, but she might actually likes this Michael guy? it's a possibility that Ginny is no longer had a crush on Harry for she knew that harry likes somebody else and she had moved on? it's a possibility. :razz:
HuffleDuck
Keeper of the Lake

Crushes

Postby highsorcerer » Saturday 26 July 2003 8:52:25am

Oh, I think Ginny has gotten over Harry as far as a crush goes. She has been infatuated with him, but she's matured. I remember my first crush, and have gotten over her.

Long term, Harry and Ginny just might work. There is no doubt the Weasley's would be delighted to have him as a son or brother-in-law (and member of the family), and he'd be delighted to have them as his family. Harry has no family (save the Dursleys, who wouldn't care - once Harry reaches age, he's done with them, and they are done with him). The Weasley's aren't concerned with pure-blood matches (though Arthur and Molly are both wizards, and Bill is dating a witch in Fleur). Ginny has always respected Harry, but he might be starting to really respect her, as both a witch and a Quidditch player.

HighSorcerer (turing into a parrot and flying away)
highsorcerer
Department of Mysteries Unspeakable and Registered Animagus (Parrot)

Postby bludy mery » Saturday 26 July 2003 5:35:27pm

I think it'll mess Ron's realationship with him if it'll become family stuff...
Jinny realy is lovable in this book when we get to know her personality... and I like her outside too cause' I allways dreamed to be red headed...
bludy mery
Queen of Darkness and Owner of the Loch Ness Monster

Postby Meg Boyd » Thursday 7 August 2003 1:42:09pm

Gwared wrote:LaceyCrane wrote:
I think the only reason Ginny had a relationship with Micheal was so she wouldn't be obsessed with Harry anymore. Micheal was a character we didn't know and because of that we wouldn't really care that they broke up (the reason they didn't focus on the relationship and only mentioned it a few times). JK probably did that to clear the way for a Ginny and Harry to get together and have a realistic relationship that isn't about hero worship.

Exactly, the power balance has changed in Ginny's favour and she is now in a position whereby a relationship with Harry could work.

Oh, I know all to well about this...I've been there. It is not good to idolize some one that you like because it just makes it worse and makes the other person feel weird. So after Ginny forgets about Harry, learns about boys from dating other boys at school, finds who she truly is, I can see her and Harry finally becoming really good friends...and then from there I can see a dating relationship. I believe you need rock-solid friendship to have a strong romantic relationship...
Meg Boyd
Head Girl, Ravenclaw Prefect and Maker of Witty Random Statements Since 1986 A.D.

Postby Tuima » Monday 18 August 2003 8:12:43pm

I totally agree. And I think it's important that, as Harry pointed out, "is that why she talks now?" Once they get to know each other better, Harry will gain respect for her, and my bet is we'll have a romance!!
Tuima
Fourth Year

Postby highsorcerer » Sunday 24 August 2003 7:45:30am

Right. It's why Ginny's crush on Harry was wrong. And why Harry's crush on Cho was wrong (and hers on him).

There is nothing wrong on crushes (I've had many, trust me), but it isn't a basis for a lasting relationship.

On the other side, Ginny's crush on Harry wasn't good either. I know crushes are a part of growing up (I've had them.... lots of them). But she got over it, but it doesn't mean they can't have something.

Maybe inside, Ginny and Harry really love each other. Going through crushes (like Cho or Michael Corner) is a part of growing up. I've gone through many; two Lisas. a Candy, and more.

Also, both my grandparents hated the match. However, in the end, they agreed it worked. Only one other child married to the death (a tragic one; by illness that took him out so quickly no drugs would have helped). On the other side, one girl who was beaten by her husband, and another who abandoned her and her son.

So I guess I know what I'm saying - in-law resentment can be high and terrible. But if Harry wed Ginny, the Weasley's would not be losing a daughter but gaining a son. It would a grand closing speech; Arthur and Mollly telling Vernan and Petunia that Harry was now their son. But by then, Harry can take care of himself. He knows curses and jinkes, but would only use them on people who plan to hurt him.
highsorcerer
Department of Mysteries Unspeakable and Registered Animagus (Parrot)

Previous

Return to Characters