Harry's Career Options

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

Harry's Career Options

Postby highsorcerer » Wednesday 25 June 2003 3:38:03am

Obviously, Harry would like to be an auror. However, I always figured his true career path would have been either a professional quidditch player or permanent Defense Against the Dark Arts professor at Hogwarts. He's probably ready for either of those jobs right now....
highsorcerer
Department of Mysteries Unspeakable and Registered Animagus (Parrot)

Postby June » Wednesday 25 June 2003 4:47:39am

Actually, I was thinking just that too... ^_~
June
Lady in White

Postby Jay » Wednesday 25 June 2003 5:53:57am

Professional Quidditch sounds great, but I think he will become an auror.
Jay
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Lunatech » Wednesday 25 June 2003 7:16:12am

He should be a magic carpet chauffer.

^^
Lunatech
Fourth Year

Postby Boycey » Wednesday 25 June 2003 8:23:21am

If hes still alive at the end of book 7 to worry about hes carrer options that is. Personally I think he has the protential to be a great auror, he has proven himself to be a worthy candiate already with his skills facing the dark lord again, so I doubt he will have any trouble getting a job as an auror, or saying that a DADA teacher. As for being a quidditch player, I can also see him being that, but like all profesional sports he if does become a quidditch player he would have to be scouted down to become a quidditch player as its not somthing you can apply to become.
Boycey
Fourth Year

yea

Postby Heratio_Fonzarelli » Wednesday 9 July 2003 1:13:23am

i think harry would make a decent auror but he does pretty average in his classes (and terrible in some)...he's not exactly a good student (in terms of studying). i could see him being a DADA teacher or a quiddich player.
Heratio_Fonzarelli
Squib

Postby zledm007 » Wednesday 9 July 2003 1:15:47am

i agree, he would make an excellent DADA teacher, but i think he would make an even better auror. i mean, think about it, he's already got more exoirience than probly most of the aurors that are currently employed. he's escaped voldemort what, 5 times now? if you ask me, he soesn't need any more training than that.
zledm007
Divination Teacher and Jazz Master for the Universe

Postby ElijahRain » Wednesday 9 July 2003 4:15:41am

Escaped 6 times if you count him being a baby, I think.
ElijahRain
Second Year

Postby Sacred Guardian » Wednesday 9 July 2003 5:46:25am

no not really, he didn't escape in book 3, but anyway, i definatly think auror is the career path that harry will go down
Sacred Guardian
Hufflepuff Prefect, Hufflepuff Chaser and Hogwarts' Master of Secrets

Postby Fafnul Black » Wednesday 9 July 2003 9:15:19am

Well, on the Auror path, Harry might be a bit low in the Stealth and Tracking department. I mean, in all 5 books, apart from going around under his invisibility cloak, he does not seem to be able to keep a low profile for too long, no ?
Fafnul Black
Fourth Year

Postby fra-sirius » Wednesday 9 July 2003 9:43:42am

an auror! it would be great!
espacially if macgonnall would "do her best" to teach him ... as she said
fra-sirius
Fourth Year

Re: Harry's Career Options

Postby Ju-DedoH » Wednesday 9 July 2003 4:26:11pm

highsorcerer wrote:However, I always figured his true career path would have been either a professional quidditch player or permanent Defense Against the Dark Arts professor at Hogwarts. He's probably ready for either of those jobs right now....

I just wanted to react about you thinking he is ready to teach, I don't think so, since for now, he has only teached to willing students, so he doesn't know a thing about pedagogy (sp?). I can't imagine him keeping a class of crabb goyle & malfoys quit ...

Fafnul Black wrote:I mean, in all 5 books, apart from going around under his invisibility cloak, he does not seem to be able to keep a low profile for too long, no ?

I agree, think of the footprints in the snow ... (what if F&G invented stealth boots like "mischief boots" with no footprints & no sound)
Ju-DedoH
Hufflepuff Prefect, Divination Teacher and Sgt. Pepper

Postby Nymphadora_Tonks » Thursday 10 July 2003 10:38:38am

fra-sirius wrote:an auror! it would be great!
espacially if macgonnall would "do her best" to teach him ... as she said

Yes, as Harry now has McG to help him, it seems as if she were telling Umbridge that Harry WOULD become an Auror, as he now has her to help him.....
Nymphadora_Tonks
Squib

Postby MissGranger » Thursday 10 July 2003 11:38:05am

I guess an Auror would be ok... but he doesn't seem to do THAT well at school. With the working to midnight and asking Hermione and all that. Well, he might improve but I like the idea of a professional quidditch player. :D
MissGranger
Squib

Postby yasmane » Thursday 10 July 2003 1:08:16pm

Honestly, I do not think like all of you.
Harry is indded really good when facing death eaters or even Voldie (even if luck is always on his side, remember for instance when he's facing him at the end of book 4, you can hardly have more luck).
but it's rather escape than fighting. I mean he's got luck, he's got as much help as you can except (friends, phenix, DD, specific protection from his mom, ...) and as DD said, his greatest strenght remains his love.
That's why I'm not so sure he could become a great auror (whereas for instance hermione should become one of the best), especially knowing all his lackness in several area (such as potions, hidings and many other).
But to answer the question of what he could become, I have no idea.
yasmane
Sixth Year

Next

Return to The Books