Has anybody seen/read Lord of the Rings?

Meet everyone here in The Great Hall for general discussions. Here you'll find a friendly place to talk about all things under the magnificent magical ceiling...even stuff not connected with Harry Potter!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, DucksRMagical, Broccoli, Run Away!!!, Phoenix in the Ashes

Postby bewitchin » Thursday 1 January 1970 1:00:00am

Has anybody seen and/or read the Lord of the Rings? If you have, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it and how it compares with Harry Potter...
bewitchin
Senior Gryffindor Witch

Postby Shadow » Thursday 1 January 1970 1:00:00am

Hey, I've seen Lord Of The Rings! It was great :smile:! It had tons of special effects. It was close to the book in some ways and it was different in some ways. Like Harry Potter some things that people may think were important were left out. But it was basically to the book. Part of the second book was at the end of the movie. I think it was really cool! :cool:

If you are planning to see the movie, there was a goof that the editors missed. when two of the hobbits are in a cornfield, a car is driving by in the distance. I didn't catch it the first time, but I'm sure it's there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadow on 2002-04-01 19:29 ]</font>
Shadow
Gryffindor Beater

Postby chrestomanci » Thursday 1 January 1970 1:00:00am

I keep meaning to see it again; my parents took me when I was half asleep and I missed most of it... :sad:
chrestomanci
Quidditch Referee

Postby darkwitch » Thursday 1 January 1970 1:00:00am

yeah.. i've seen lord of the rings,, i can't imagine Frodo can be so smal..
darkwitch
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Paul » Thursday 1 January 1970 1:00:00am

Welcome darkwitch :welcome:

I saw Lord of the Rings a few weeks after seeing Harry potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I think that the two movies are very different but both are wonderful. Lord of the Rings seems to have a slightly darker feeling to it. Actually I was vey surprised at how much I enjoyed it as someone I knew a few years ago was very much into the Lord of The Rings books but at the time I could never get into them - the movie has totally changed all that, and although I've still not bought any of the LOTR books yet, they're definately on my list of books to read as soon as I get the time.
Paul
Minister of Magic and Headmaster of Hogwarts

Location: Ministry of Magic and Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, England

Postby darkwitch » Thursday 1 January 1970 1:00:00am

thanks Paul!!!!!
darkwitch
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby DeathEater666 » Thursday 1 January 1970 1:00:00am

Sorry to be a trator to Harry Potter but Lord Of The Rings is soooooo much betta!!!!!
DeathEater666
Squib

OK. I have just started reading Lord of the Rings (the post I made before was mostly my sibling, the biggest Lord of the Rings fan ever) and the book is quite different from the movie. For instance, at the begining, they left out the whole part about the Barrow Wights and Tom Bombadil, which would have had cool special effects.
Shadow
Gryffindor Beater

i thik it kept quite well to the book Tom Bombadil always gets missed out! But i don't think it would ave amde a lot of sence to people who havn't read the book!

I think i am the biggest LOTR fan actually! as u may be able to tell from my signiture!
DeathEater666
Squib

Actually, my sister and her friends are. They have taken signs to the movie theater and held them up. Beat that!
Shadow
Gryffindor Beater

i'v send it so many times i can remember i'v got LOTR stuff all over my room i'v got about 3 copies of the book and have read it 7 times. eeeerrrrrmmmmmm
oh yeah i rang up 4 all the radio 1 LOTR comps but didn't get through god damn it!
i'v got the sound track the sheat music and the documentry on DVD and i'v got the "making off" buks. i'v drawn de pictures i used to play hobbits, gollums and black riders wen i was about i'v got the radio version on tape got board of the rings will get a one ring wen i have the muny or wen sum one buys it 4 me!
BEAT THAT!!!!!
DeathEater666
Squib

Can you recite every line from the movie? Made your own picture gallery? Do you spend almost every spare moment you can on forums of LOTR? And last, do you go on the internet, find pictures of orcs, cities, and people and spend hours figuring out what scene the picture is from???
Shadow
Gryffindor Beater

Postby Broccoli » Thursday 1 January 1970 1:00:00am

I've read LOTR and I've seen the movie, but it isn't remotely as good as the book! Yes, there were special effects and beautiful scenery, but it was just too commercial with this bombastic music and romantic lines that weren't in the book at all (at least not in the 1st part). And the Hobbits were too pretty :wink:
Broccoli
Slytherin Prefect, Healer at St Mungo's and Slytherin Chaser

Postby ermintrude2003 » Thursday 1 January 1970 1:00:00am

i've read lotr and seen the movie, book is ok but hard to get into and confusin the 1st time u read it. But i would recommend u read it b4 watchin the movie! otherwise it just spoils it!
ermintrude2003
Fourth Year

Yesterday, I went with my sister and some of her friends to Best Buy at 10:30 to wait for the movie to come out at 12:01. a radio station was there and we got free shirts and posters. My sister really cracked. We were doing this trivia thing, and she got into this whole thing about why Bilbo was turning 111, not 112.
Shadow
Gryffindor Beater

Next

Return to The Great Hall