Potion in the cave.

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

Postby child of darkness » Tuesday 26 July 2005 7:37:08pm

Mistress Siana wrote:Just as I believe that the only way to get the ring was putting it on, why else would DD have carried it around?

sorry i dont understand this part you said, could you refresh my memory please
child of darkness
Seventh Year

Postby dibble2 » Wednesday 27 July 2005 2:19:30am

Broccoli wrote:What I don't quite get is (in case the potion was made by Voldemort himself) if Voldemort decided to take the horcux from the cave and rehide it, would he be able to drink the potion alone?

I think Voldemort would be able to drink the potion alone, the same potion Dumbledore drank, without suffering the ill effects. The reason I think this is because Dumbledore saw something horrible, something having to do with other people suffering. If the potion affects every wizard the same way, then any decent wizard would be crippled by the scenes. Of course, Voldemort wouldn't care at all if he saw people suffering in his mind, so he could go on drinking the potion all day.
dibble2
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby redhead_723 » Wednesday 27 July 2005 5:55:26am

I think Voldemort would be able to drink the potion alone, the same potion Dumbledore drank, without suffering the ill effects. The reason I think this is because Dumbledore saw something horrible, something having to do with other people suffering. If the potion affects every wizard the same way, then any decent wizard would be crippled by the scenes. Of course, Voldemort wouldn't care at all if he saw people suffering in his mind, so he could go on drinking the potion all day.

Thats a good thought, I was more thinking that he would have brought someone with him to drink it but it is possible that it would just not affect him or affect him but it wouldnt matter to him like you said above.
redhead_723
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Augusta Longbottom » Wednesday 27 July 2005 3:27:51pm

Yes, that is a good thought. Also, something you mentioned reminded me...
As I was rereading the book I paid closer attention to this part. When DD is drinking the potion, he speaks in a voice unfamiliar to Harry. He says "don't hurt them...please...hurt me instead" or something to that effect...so I wonder, had Tom Riddle brought 3 ppl to the caves, 2 children and someone else. The 3rd person he could have killed to create the horcrux. I wonder if the voice Harry is hearing when DD is pleading is the person who TR killed that day. If you want to take a look at the passage I'm referring to, it's on p 572 US ed, Chapter 26
Augusta Longbottom
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: in Hufflepuff Common Room counting the days till the release of Deathly Hallows

Postby gadfly22 » Wednesday 27 July 2005 4:08:59pm

He says "don't hurt them...please...hurt me instead" or something to that effect

My initial thought when I read that was that Dumbledore was channeling James in some way -- stepping in front of Lily and Baby Harry.

Which raises another thought for me: Harry was protected because his mother gave her life to save him. If Dumbledore is really dead, perhaps he gave his life to save Harry in order to confer another layer of protection on him -- a layer that would work even if the Lily protection ever wore out.
gadfly22
Second Year

Postby Augusta Longbottom » Wednesday 27 July 2005 4:21:07pm

That hadn't occured to me -- channelling James on the night of his murder...good point. Also, I bet that would be true...that DD could offer further protection if he died to protect HP because he too would have done it for love. It's apparent in OotP that DD truly loves HP. (not in any weird sort of way...just as a parental type of figure)
Augusta Longbottom
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: in Hufflepuff Common Room counting the days till the release of Deathly Hallows

Postby Froggs » Wednesday 27 July 2005 4:32:30pm

The ancient magic that Lilly envoked was a blood thing I think, I was also under the impression that she didn't envoke it on purpose, that it was something that just came about given the circumstances. DD, if he died according to some plan of his own, may have been envoking another ancient love induced magic, but it seems too obvious. I still think that DD didn't plan on dying, but not many people agree with me on that one! :err:
Froggs
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Imelyen » Sunday 31 July 2005 6:38:44pm

I wonder who was with R.A.B. when he took the Horcrux, as we clearly see that two people would need to be there to take it (my thoughts are that it was Dumbledore). As far as people with the dark mark being able to drink the potion...that would be stupid, as Voldemort doesn't have a Dark Mark on his arm...thus the reason he needs to touch the mark on one of his Death Eaters.
Imelyen

Postby Athena Appleton » Tuesday 2 August 2005 8:01:09pm

selene wrote:and how many people know about the horcuxes?
i think most witches and wizards don't even know what a horcrux is.
and even if they know what it is, they probably won't know where to look
if it took dd that long ...

As I've mentioned elsewhere, my HBP book is still packed up. Didn't Dumbledore himself say he didn't fully understand Horcruxes?
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby dibble2 » Saturday 6 August 2005 9:53:20pm

Augusta Longbottom wrote:
When DD is drinking the potion, he speaks in a voice unfamiliar to Harry. He says "don't hurt them...please...hurt me instead" or something to that effect...so I wonder, had Tom Riddle brought 3 ppl to the caves, 2 children and someone else. The 3rd person he could have killed to create the horcrux. I wonder if the voice Harry is hearing when DD is pleading is the person who TR killed that day.

I like it. Kind of like The Shining...the cave holds traces of the events that happened there. He wouldn't have been able to make that potion when he was little, of course. That might be a sticking point in the theory...
dibble2

Postby Augusta Longbottom » Saturday 6 August 2005 10:52:55pm

Code: Select all
He wouldn't have been able to make that potion when he was little, of course. That might be a sticking point in the theory...

Oh yea, duh...I didn't even think of that...lol! Another theory shot all to h*ll! :oops:
Augusta Longbottom
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby annachie » Sunday 7 August 2005 12:22:30am

It doesn't follow that he made either the potion or the horcrux immediatly after the attorcity that appears to have taken place in the cave, but many years later. Indeed it was years later when he learned about horcruxes and many more, it seems, before he learned how to make them.
annachie

Postby espionage » Monday 8 August 2005 6:27:28pm

When DD is drinking the potion, he speaks in a voice unfamiliar to Harry. He says or something to that effect...so I wonder, had Tom Riddle brought 3 ppl to the caves, 2 children and someone else. The 3rd person he could have killed to create the horcrux. I wonder if the voice Harry is hearing when DD is pleading is the person who TR killed that day.

voldemort didnt even know about horcruxes until he had been at hogwarts for at least a couple of years, so the making the horcrux in the cave had nothing to do with the orphans VD took down there as a kid. Also, I think the orphanage woman might have noticed had one of her charges disappeared!
I am interested in the potion though...dumbledore said "don't hurt them...please...hurt me instead" and I have been thinking the potion must have had some effect on all other wizards that voldemort wouldnt feel...and what have we been told over and over is what differentiates voldemort form other wizards? the ability to love. to me it sounds exactly as though the potion in some way tortures the drinker through their ability to love and so would not bother voldemort in the least. ironic as this has always been highlighted as Voldemorts greatest weakness...
espionage
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Athena Appleton » Tuesday 9 August 2005 1:47:29am

:grin: Now THAT is interesting! Nice thought.
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby dibble2 » Tuesday 9 August 2005 1:58:01am

Right, that's what I was thinking. The love part especially makes sense because even the most vile Death Eater wouldn't have torn his soul into seven pieces like Voldemort. I think his mutilated soul has something to do with it.
dibble2

PreviousNext

Return to Theories