Snape's Motivation

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

Postby darkcloak » Tuesday 26 July 2005 5:39:49pm

On a slight tangent to the thread: anyone actually believe that Snape was really very close to Voldemort and knew exactly what Malfoy had been asked to do?

It's just that in the second chapter, when Bellatrix is being suspicious and Snape says he already knows what Malfoy is doing, he never actually tells them anything he couldn't have guessed. I think that all he says is that Malfoy will be rewarded very highly (something that Bellatrix says earlier anyway).

Now this could be taken to mean that he isn't as close as he would like to be to the Dark Lord and also he doesn't really know what he is promising to carry out (hence his hesitation with the vow).

So did he kill Dumbledore to get close to Voldemort for the greater good or for personal gain? :-?
darkcloak
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby child of darkness » Tuesday 26 July 2005 7:02:29pm

whoof all this talk is making my brain hurt but i cant wait to find out which one of our theories are true

but i still grieve for DD :-(
why why why?????
child of darkness
Seventh Year

Postby Claire » Wednesday 27 July 2005 1:41:12am

darkcloak wrote:On a slight tangent to the thread: anyone actually believe that Snape was really very close to Voldemort and knew exactly what Malfoy had been asked to do?

It's just that in the second chapter, when Bellatrix is being suspicious and Snape says he already knows what Malfoy is doing, he never actually tells them anything he couldn't have guessed. I think that all he says is that Malfoy will be rewarded very highly (something that Bellatrix says earlier anyway).

Now this could be taken to mean that he isn't as close as he would like to be to the Dark Lord and also he doesn't really know what he is promising to carry out (hence his hesitation with the vow).

So did he kill Dumbledore to get close to Voldemort for the greater good or for personal gain? :-?

I definitely noticed this too. In fact, almost everything Snape tells Bellatrix at the beginning seems like a lie. Which makes me lean even more to the theory that Snape is good.
Claire
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Froggs » Wednesday 27 July 2005 2:44:05pm

My first instict was also that Snape was "winging it" trying to get info from Bellatrix without letting her know that he was in the dark about what was going on.
Froggs
Fully Qualified Wizard

Re: Snape's Motivation

Postby Athena Appleton » Wednesday 3 August 2005 4:47:19am

gadfly22 wrote:Let's assume -- just for the sake of discussion -- that there are only 2 choices: Snape is good or Snape is bad.

Now, I think it's obvious that Snape is a major character in the books. He's not just an important teacher, but he has a history with Harry's family and friends.

If Snape is bad, what is his motivation? He's not a Lucius Malfoy (a relatively minor character), whose motives may be as simple as greed or the desire for political power or purity of the "race". What would make Snape so devoted to being bad? He's shown no signs of being greedy or power-hungry (teaching doesn't seem to lend itself to those pursuits even in the wizarding world).

So he's just bad by nature? Voldemort is a kindly replacement father figure? Hot chicks love the bad boys?

Obviously, I'm highly dubious of the "Snape is bad" scenario. I think we'll learn a lot more about his motivations for the highly dangerous double spy game he is playing, and those motivations will be a lot more complex and interesting than any one-dimensional explanation for his badness.

Snape's motivation is a combination of resentment (mainly regarding people like James Potter and Sirius Black, who were very talented wizards but whom he couldn't stand, and the same "no-one-cared-about-me-so-I-don't-care-about-them" attitude Voldemort had. It's no different than an outcast at a high school would go on a rampage with a gun.
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby ellenmay » Wednesday 3 August 2005 2:59:38pm

Froggs wrote:My first instict was also that Snape was "winging it" trying to get info from Bellatrix without letting her know that he was in the dark about what was going on.

That was exactly my impression.
ellenmay
Fourth Year

Postby Lelie » Wednesday 3 August 2005 3:36:44pm

it's more likely that he was using occlumency. narcissa and bellatrix don't exactly seems like the brightest bulbs in the box all the time, and snape is apparently a very good occlumens.
Lelie
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Dacre » Wednesday 3 August 2005 3:45:04pm

My first instict was also that Snape was "winging it" trying to get info from Bellatrix without letting her know that he was in the dark about what was going on.

Really? I personally was sure what he said was true. How could he get away with lies like that, esp. when Pettigrew has been sent to be with him? From the narrative, it is clear that Bellatrix believes BEFORE she chats to Snape that the Dark Lord trusts Snape, an impression she must have got from some-where.
Snape told DD that he was off to do something after LV first came to power, and reveals to Harry he clearly is spying on the DE's in OOTF. Clearly, he'd have had to give some sort of explanation to LV to not get killed like another death eater did for not returning.
I just can't see how he was lying.
Dacre
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: Running away from violent women in the Griffindor common room

Postby Person1 » Wednesday 3 August 2005 6:16:26pm

Who knows which side can trust Snape, he's a master Occlumens, so he could have been lying to either DD or LV, or even both without either of them knowing.
Person1
Creator of realities unknown

Postby Tanuki » Wednesday 3 August 2005 10:27:53pm

Here's a thought no one ever thought of before. What if Snape is loyal to neither side? What if he is playing Dumbledore against Voldermort in the hopes of destroying both sides and fulfilling his own personal ambition? It would make some sort of twisted sense
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby Person1 » Thursday 4 August 2005 4:10:15am

Kinda what i was thinking when i said

"...even both without either of them knowing"

But it does seem too crazy to do, to have no alliance is suicide, you've either got protection from 1 side or another, if ya dont.....yer dead.

Its not what ya know, it who ya know.
Person1
Creator of realities unknown

Postby Imelyen » Thursday 4 August 2005 5:42:35am

You don't need an allegiance to either side if both side thinks you're loyal to them. I've been thinking Snape was a "lone ranger" (so to speak) for a while now, he does seem the type. Though what he hopes to achieve by it I haven't figured out yet. If snape were more evil I would say he was doing it for the mere joy of it (which would make me love him even more). Go clever villains.
Imelyen
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Hagger 9003 » Thursday 4 August 2005 12:55:58pm

i really am not sure whether he is good or bad, but personally i dont know. the one thing i am certain of is that he had to kill DD. his vow said he had to "finish the job" if draco could not do it. and, even if he is good, he would not lay down his life like that. its not in his character. however, the good guys dont know that. they will be very angry, and he can have no reception there. so, right now, he will be back with the dark lord, but he may not be as useful as he was. he is no longer a spy, and what else can he do for the dark side? personally, i think snape is going to have a few problems.

however, doesnt bella say something about snape being the dark lord's most trusted advisor? if so, he is in a position of power on the dark side. personally, i think snape may be good, it is certainly a possiblility, but he might chose to become bad. i do think that DD must have had a better reason for his trust. i mean, come on!! he "feels regret" about lily dying? if that is so, DD was most certainly losing his touch. however, i think there was a better reason. so, i think that snape is good, but that is meer hope.
Hagger 9003
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Tanuki » Thursday 4 August 2005 2:19:02pm

The dark lord trusts no one; he want's and needs no friends. Why would he have an advisor? I think Snape, like everyone else in Voldermort's faction, is just diluding themselves. Or he's biding his time, to kill Voldermort himself and then be the only superpower left
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby Athena Appleton » Friday 5 August 2005 2:57:05am

Tanuki wrote:The dark lord trusts no one; he want's and needs no friends. Why would he have an advisor? I think Snape, like everyone else in Voldermort's faction, is just diluding themselves. Or he's biding his time, to kill Voldermort himself and then be the only superpower left

Makes sense... but if he would choose one person in whom he could confide in, I would think it would be Snape, with their similarities (similar, though not identical family histories... a willingness to use magic as a way to get what they want, etc.)
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

PreviousNext

Return to Theories