Harry's Powers

Who do you like best and who could you definately live without? Will there be romance in the air for any of them and who will end up with who?

Moderators: Mistress Siana, Q.Araignee, Scarlet Lioness

Postby Snow_Crystal » Tuesday 19 July 2005 5:46:00pm

Don't forget LV doesn't know the whole of prophecy. i.e. this is the reason he wanted it from the MoM.

He doesn't know necessarily that only one can survive and that he has now sealed his fate. He doesn't know that only Harry and Snape are the only surviving listeners of the prophecy. I'm careful here because we don't know whether Trelawny actually remembers it or not... But she did seem to think she had to warn Dumbledore of the lightning on the tower so maybe she does remember..

Also I think the main power harry has over voldemort (that JKR keeps mentioning) is that Harry's mum died to protect him, whereas LV sees his mother as weak because she wasn't strong enough and died during childbirth. It's almost like LV's mother didn't love him as much as Lily loved Harry. I think this is why JKR keeps harping on about it.
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby blowtorch » Tuesday 19 July 2005 5:52:12pm

Snowy wrote:Harry and Snape are the only surviving listeners of the prophecy.

Actually, Snape hasn't heard the entire prophesy either... "he was detected a short way into the prophesy and ejected from the premises" remember? So Harry is the only one...

Voilet's point of view has me convinced about that... Harry does not have to be a powerful wizard... because it wasn't sure that he would be the "chosen one" in the first place. But he will have to develop his spellwork (a lot) if he is to challenge Voldemort...
blowtorch
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby dibble2 » Tuesday 19 July 2005 5:56:07pm

Assuming Harry does kill Voldemort in the end, do you think he'll do it with the Killing Curse? Or will he learn something else about his special "love" power that he can somehow use to destroy Voldemort? He may be able to touch Harry, but Dumbledore said when he possessed Harry, it caused extreme pain. So it seems that love alone could finish him, if there is a way to channel it.
dibble2
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby horcrux hunter911 » Tuesday 19 July 2005 6:11:08pm

harry may find some way to channel his "love"but he will have to learn something in the next book since all he really knows now are petty jinxes
horcrux hunter911
Second Year

Postby Lelie » Tuesday 19 July 2005 7:05:17pm

well good... maybe all harry will have to do is say "oh how i love you tommy boy" and give him a big hug to destroy him. wouldn't that be cute?

i'm not sure that harry is as weak as people are saying he is. just because he doesn't use powerful spells all the time doesn't mean he can't. harry did both of snape's spells right the first time... even sectusempra, and he didn't even know what that would do. ordinarily it seems like you really have to concentrate on the desired effect before you can do a spell. even harry's previous "accidental" magic has been on a pretty grand scale. yes, others in the DA can do patronuses and such, but harry did it first, and waaaay younger. he's clearly gifted, even if he is a little lazy about it. i think deep down he knows what he can do, and knows what he'll need to do to defeat voldemort.
Lelie
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Stumpy » Tuesday 19 July 2005 7:05:52pm

I agree it must have something to do with his ability to love, but i think the soul may come into it as well
Stumpy
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Froggs » Tuesday 19 July 2005 7:45:04pm

Sectusempra...that sounds a lot like the curse in the POA movie, or am I just imagining it? Anyway, Harry seems to have powers when he is desperate to act in order to save someone. He did learn Accio through practice with Hermione though...although that seems pretty trivial considering the type of magic he will be facing. My thought is that JKR left a whole bunch for the last book, don't you think? Harry seems to not be much closer to defeating Voldy, except the horacrux (sp?) thing. I have a feeling that RAB may have already gotten rid of a few more of those horcruxes...
Froggs
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Voldemort » Tuesday 19 July 2005 7:52:25pm

Froggs wrote: I have a feeling that RAB may have already gotten rid of a few more of those horcruxes...

I couldnt agree more. I think that Harry is going to go meet up with this guy.

Also, am i the only one that wants to see Harry use some of his anger on someone else? I mean, we have seen a few moments were harry was blinded by rage, and attempted to do Unforgivable Curses. I really want to see Harry use Avada Kedarva on someone, it just seems like it would make people take him seriously. I would also love to seem him kill/torture malfoy :evil:
Voldemort
Second Year

Postby Lelie » Tuesday 19 July 2005 7:55:08pm

Sectusempra...that sounds a lot like the curse in the POA movie, or am I just imagining it?

it sounds like rictusempra... but that was actually in CoS i think. they're not related in anyway that i can discern, i looked. rictusempra is a tickling charm. sectusempra wouldn't make any sane person giggle.
Lelie
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby DumbledoreistheMaster » Tuesday 19 July 2005 7:58:20pm

I agree that Harry needs to work on his magic some more but Harry seems to do his best when he is faced with a challenge. I think it will be hard to him to focus without it right there breathing down his neck. I mean he does his best work when he is in tight spots. For instance, Harry had only been able to perform a feeble patronus until he and Sirius were in danger. Then he seemed to be able to do a magnificent job. I think this might be the case with the silent spells. When he is in a tight spot and needs to use them he can concentrate on them. I don't think he could when he was fighting Snape because he was still mainly concentrating on Dumbledores death.
DumbledoreistheMaster
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby menotyoo » Tuesday 19 July 2005 8:06:27pm

That is exactly right. Harry comes through when people he cares about are in trouble. We've seen him seek revenge on Bellatrix and Snape, and that never worked....why?.....because there was no love. When he is protecting those he cares about, Harry can't be stopped. He beat LV in a 'basically' hand to hand struggle when their wands connected, because his loving parents were by his side. He can fight off grown Death Eaters, but not as revenge. He obviously must be much stronger to actually battle LV in a face-off, but he can do it. LV will be fighting to better his own position, to help himself. Harry will be fighting for the Wizarding world, and the ones he loves. So long as he can hold his own, I can see him coming through in the end.
menotyoo
Sixth Year

Location: Durvish and Banges, Knockturn Alley, London, England, Europe, Earth

Postby dibble2 » Tuesday 19 July 2005 9:28:37pm

I'm kind of sick of seeing Harry fight off Death Eaters with "Petrificus Totalus," considering Hermione knew that in her first year. Plus it's got to take so long to say. That and "Impedimentia," I think that if Harry was fighting a Death Eater face to face neither of those would go over too well. He needs to learn more spells like the stunning spells if he wants to stay alive.
dibble2
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Snow_Crystal » Tuesday 19 July 2005 11:57:25pm

I agree with Dibble2. I want to see some new spells, shielding spells and attacking ones but would like to think that Harry would have not have to use Dark Spells. I don't want to see him become the enemy.
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby Froggs » Wednesday 20 July 2005 12:40:11am

It would be nice if Harry invented some new kind of magic, or somehow tap into ancient magic that Voldy has dismissed as unimportant (again, the love aspect). Love is grand and all that, but show me more of what it does!!
Froggs
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Kalessin » Wednesday 20 July 2005 12:46:07am

I think I would like to see Harry using magic in his own unique style that is kind of rogue, vigilante stuff. Dunno, would be good though I think...
Kalessin
Second Year

PreviousNext

Return to Characters