Passing the Torch

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

Passing the Torch

Postby werebane » Monday 18 July 2005 4:26:55pm

I thnk that in the end of chapter 26, it was clear DD was going to die (not that i wanted him to). It was sort of the passing the tortch.

"I am not worried Harry, I am with you". It was DD saying that now harry was ready to do what he was born to. He was saing that harry didnt need him anymore and after DD had set all the peices and given them to harry, there was nothing else he needed to do in the mortal world.

And It evens says "His voice a little stronger", meaning he was sure of what he was saying and that it was really time for him to go.
werebane
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Dacre » Monday 18 July 2005 4:29:39pm

Well, since we all knew some-one was going to die, I think JK tried to fool us that it was some-one else when Malfoy said he moved over some-one's dead body, so that DDs death was more of a surprise.
Dacre
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: Running away from violent women in the Griffindor common room

Postby Stumpy » Monday 18 July 2005 4:46:27pm

I agree it was like passing on the torch but i dont believe that he felt that Harry was alone in his quest he would've known that Herm and Ron would be with him so i think he really passed it to them three with Harry having to apply the final blow!
Stumpy
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby sweetassugar555 » Monday 18 July 2005 6:52:25pm

when he died it did make since that he was passing the duty of finding the rest of the Horcruxes all on his own (but now with ron and hermione)
sweetassugar555
Second Year

Postby thestral » Monday 18 July 2005 9:16:49pm

i think throughout HBP he always subtly made sure that hermione and ron were always aware. he knew that harry's power is love, so unlike VD harry would not be alone and that would be the difference. and i think DD knew that so always ensured that hermione and ron would play a part too. smart guy :grin:
thestral
Rogue auror, avenger of lost souls

Postby Kalessin » Monday 18 July 2005 11:28:34pm

However I'm still dissapointed in in Harry's magical power and skill! I wish he would step up and make some progress in being able to equal Voldemort in a dual - maybe this isn't where JK is going with it, but I just want Harry to be the next Dumbledore, you know what I mean? Anyone? lol

I'm just hoping that Snape's magical beating of Harry at the end of HBP will knock Harry into learning more magic, after all, he was mocked for not being able to silently cast spells... a skill which without, he wasn't even able to touch Snape, never mind Voldemort!
Kalessin
Second Year

Postby menotyoo » Monday 18 July 2005 11:41:59pm

I know what you mean. Although, I can see Harry coming back from his travels with Ron and Hermione, and looking like Luke Skywalker in Return of the Jedi. He will control his thoughts with Occlumency, and he will cast spells silently and apparate with ease. I mean, by devoting his time to Defense, he will make real progress. Until now, he has had to deal w/ other useless courses like Herbology, Potions, etc. He will hopefully be in charge next book.
I don't think it was a passing of the torch, because no one can be DD, but now Harry is on his own.
menotyoo
Sixth Year

Location: Durvish and Banges, Knockturn Alley, London, England, Europe, Earth

Postby Lelie » Tuesday 19 July 2005 2:25:27am

i think it may be jkr's intention to strenghthen harry by killing sirius and dumbledore. harry is so modest about his abilities, maybe even unaware of them, so he doesn't exercise them like he should. without the comfort of dd and sirius being around to protect him it forces him to take a more active role in his own survival. i imagine that in book 7 we'll find exactly how powerful harry is... and he must be extremely powerful as that has been aluded to since the early chapters of book 1.
Lelie
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Kalessin » Tuesday 19 July 2005 10:25:23am

Yeah, this is what I'm hoping too. So how long do you think the 7th book will be? Longest yet or something like the 6th possibly?
Kalessin
Second Year

Postby Stumpy » Tuesday 19 July 2005 11:08:06am

Its gotta be longer not just cos we dont want the series to end but because there are so many loose ends to tie up from this book and that of the books previous
Stumpy
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Tanuki » Tuesday 19 July 2005 9:31:30pm

I think Harry's potential is as yet, unknown; and I'm quite frankly, itching to see him break free like the berserker he's shaping up to be.

Then again, I'm waiting to see soldier pills too
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby Kalessin » Wednesday 20 July 2005 12:44:03am

lol, I too am looking forward to a vigilante Harry so to speak *dreamy smile*
Kalessin
Second Year

Postby Tanuki » Wednesday 20 July 2005 2:38:12am

seriously, a potion to temporarily raise magical power significantly, who else is waiting to see it
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby dibble2 » Wednesday 20 July 2005 4:45:37am

Kalessin wrote:Yeah, this is what I'm hoping too. So how long do you think the 7th book will be? Longest yet or something like the 6th possibly?

JKR said it probably won't be as long as Phoenix, but she "reserves the right" to make it as long as Phoenix just in case. You know how she doesn't like to be definate about those kinds of things.
dibble2
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby niki_192 » Wednesday 20 July 2005 5:21:28am

i was hoping that the 6th book would be like a 1000 pages...i hope the 7th book will be longer coz its bound to have more secrets and i deffinetly think that ron harry and hermione will rise up..... i wonder if they'll become aurors since they r so keen to destroy LV ?!?!?!
niki_192
Fully Qualified Wizard

Next

Return to The Books