How did you feel about the 5th book overall?

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

How did you feel about book 5 after reading it?

Best book ever written!
9%
Great! My favourite book in the series!
32%
Good, but not my favourite book in the HP series.
50%
Disappointed. Did not meet my expectations.
9%

Total votes : 149

Postby Hagger 9003 » Sunday 10 April 2005 10:35:23am

yeh, whatever happens, im pretty confident. the books are good, and im enjoyin them so far. the new book wont be bad. JK has a good feelin about it, so im optimistic. apparently, it is something like 192 pages shorter than OotP, but im not sure. i saw it on mugglenet.
Hagger 9003
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Cedric » Friday 15 April 2005 4:17:10am

Something like that, I don't understand how they could get worse. For me, they get better as they go along. Each book as more excitment then the previous one. So hopefully, this one will be fill with non-stop action from beginning to end.
Cedric
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Tween_Luv » Friday 15 April 2005 4:48:54am

yes, that would be nice. The books have been getting better! Although this one is a bit shorter, it still should be as good. Who says that the length of the book affects how good it is? I mean, The Pearl a amazingly well known book (kinda, not really book..uhh, i forgot what it was) and it barely tops 100 pages.
Tween_Luv
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Sunday 17 April 2005 7:14:38am

Yeah you can still put some really good stories together even if they're short. The thing is though, that JKR always put good stories together whether they are short or long, so, I would prefer a long long very very good story, to a short short very good story.
It just interests you for a longer period of time.
Phoenix in the Ashes
Guardian of the Vault, RPG Moderator and Slytherin Prefect

Postby Tween_Luv » Sunday 17 April 2005 4:55:32pm

yeah, i agree with you. i was just saying that short stories aren't that bad. but, i definately would not want JKR to make the 6th book short, that would be very..irritating in a way, cause you'd read, then you'd finish, and re-read...and , well, you know what i mean
Tween_Luv
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Black_Princess » Saturday 23 April 2005 6:57:44pm

Its a great book, but I hate the bit where Sirius Dies.
Black_Princess
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Wednesday 11 May 2005 10:00:35am

You hate it coz u don't like the writing, or you hate it because it's sad?
Phoenix in the Ashes

Postby Tanuki » Wednesday 11 May 2005 2:43:51pm

Something about the book just makes it a little uncomfortable to read
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Saturday 14 May 2005 9:10:56am

In what way? Can you describe it?
Phoenix in the Ashes

Postby Cedric » Saturday 14 May 2005 9:31:55pm

Yeah, you kinda left a large hole there. What made me mad is that Harry never did anything back to Professor Umbridge. He always took the punishment out on other people instead of Umbridge herself. At least thats how I took it.
Cedric
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Scarlet Lioness » Saturday 14 May 2005 11:16:14pm

This isnt my favourite book in the series, but I still enjoyed it thoroughly!!! Especially since Harry has his first major crush and there was still major tension between Ron and Hermione!!!
It was very well written and I can't wait till July 16th!!!!!!!
Scarlet Lioness
Keeper of the Claws, Co-Owner of the Juice Bar and Prefect of Gryffindor

Postby Tanuki » Sunday 15 May 2005 2:06:04pm

Tension... more like bitterness. Somehow, it just makes me think that Hermione's opinion of Ron is actually lower than I thought it was.

As for how it was uncomfortable, I understand his emotions, but that just brings up all too familiar anger. Things I don't like a book bringing up
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby thestral » Wednesday 25 May 2005 1:20:21pm

in my opinion i think that as the books get longer they get .. well not worse... but they start to drag and i don't think that either GoF or OotP were paticularly strong, they had good bits, like the ending of GoF was great and the 1st task but inbetween it was a bit slow and the same goes for OotP, there was just a quality in them that was lost or something. but i think the perfect length was PoA, it was long enough and not too short, perfect, it didn't drag at any time and it was by far the best.

also just re-read OotP cos i hadn't read it in like a year (too painful, sirius come back :( ) and it definitly makes you uncomfortable to read but not in a good way, tragedy should leave you with catharsis and i needed that when sirius died and i got...nothing. had to emnotionally cleanse in my head, but the book should do that! and i stand by my probably unpopular view that harry was badly written in that book, very flat, 2-D characterisation of his anger that to me felt very clunky and to me off-putting. i can see the intended effect but.. nah didn't work for me, but hey differrent people like different things.
thestral
Rogue auror, avenger of lost souls

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Friday 27 May 2005 6:10:15am

I could see how it would be an awkward stage of the books to write though. The Book seemed to do it's purpose.
Phoenix in the Ashes

Postby thestral » Friday 27 May 2005 10:33:01am

yeah, i agree with you phoenix, i've said before that i can see why it was the weakest part cos it was the hardest to write. i think angst/whining is a very thin line to walk and it's not only this book but i've read alot of books where they try to do it and very very few suceed. the angsty hero is a hard one to write but when it's written well, it is the most sublime, capitivating character for the audience to read. byronic heroes are the hardest and best characters in literature in my opinion.(ah heathcliff, just why do i love you so?)

so alas harry was nearly there but not quite. still i can appreciate the intended effect, but it's hard to ignore when it effects every area of the book and i'm going 'shut up and sit down you fool!' (stop yelling at poor ron and hermione). so to go back to my original point yes it does it's purpose, better in bits than others but i enjoyed it cos it revealed more info and carried the story along, i just had to block out the bits i didn't like :lol: (hard cos harry is like 99% of the book...)
thestral
Rogue auror, avenger of lost souls

PreviousNext

Return to The Books