a problem about half-blood

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

a problem about half-blood

Postby guesswhat » Sunday 7 August 2005 12:16:35am

I hope book 7 will answer a question. LV, Snape are all half-blood, why they hate all half-blood, we already know that both had terrible childhood because of their non magic fathers. Do they hate themself?
guesswhat
Squib

Postby Dutchess42 » Sunday 7 August 2005 12:39:13am

Probably they do hate themselves. Hate is usually the result of intense fear, perhaps in their cases fear of not being "pure".
Dutchess42
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Tanuki » Sunday 7 August 2005 4:26:32am

Does anyone else notice how it is half bloods shaping the future of the world. ? You must wonder what it is about half a wizard heritage and half a muggle heritage that makes these people so strong
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Sunday 7 August 2005 5:01:16am

Apart from the fact that they'd have a more rounded view of the world, and would be seeing things from more than just one angle.
Phoenix in the Ashes
Guardian of the Vault, RPG Moderator and Slytherin Prefect

Postby Person1 » Sunday 7 August 2005 5:06:17am

Or like inbreeding... like what happened in medieval days, so few Pure-bloods left...well, i think ya get my point...
Person1
Creator of realities unknown

Postby thestral » Sunday 7 August 2005 9:27:10am

mixing bloods just genrally makes for stronger genetics, otherwise you're sucking the same gene pool dry over and over and over again.
thestral
Rogue auror, avenger of lost souls

Postby darkcloak » Monday 8 August 2005 9:22:58am

It's interesting that the 'cleverest witch of her age' is actually a 'no-blood'

I think it's a very strong message for JKR to send out, that's it's not about where you come from, it's about who you are.
darkcloak
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby annachie » Thursday 11 August 2005 12:32:48am

I'm starting to think that the further we get into the series, the more social commentary is creeping in.
annachie
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby _tonks_ » Friday 12 August 2005 12:48:42pm

Hi,

I am glad that I found this forum to discuss "a problem" about the theme: halfblood

As a matter of fact, I regret, that by the german history it maybe seems to be a little problematic to discuss about pure- and halfbloods.

First of all what I noticed, when I read the 5th Book again (Order of the Phoenix), I realized that there were not (only) muggleborn but first of all Lupin, Firenze and Hagrid called halfbloods, because they were not pure human. Mrs. Umbridge said she hates them and there are laws made for them, etc.

So, what I guess is, that someone like Snape or even LV weren't proud of being muggleborn and if Snape's the halfblood prince he would (for my opinion) not write it as proudly in his schoolbook as he did, that he is half muggleborn, but would probably call himself halfblood, if he thought being half another thing that a human-being is something special. Or maybe it would be clearer to me that he found this more a thing to mention that his muggleborn past...

What do you think about this?

With best regards from Germany

_tonks_
_tonks_
Squib

Postby crystallised_pineapple » Friday 12 August 2005 12:54:19pm

hiya tonks welcome to the boards

i think it saya at the end of HBP that his mother was a witch and his father was a muggle in a cutting hermione found from the Daily Prophet, but then again maybe she was wrong.

i actually thought that about snape he was very open about hisparents with writing it in the book, but perhaps he never thought anyone would link it to him? i'm not sure.
crystallised_pineapple
Queen of The Pixies

Location: three broomsticks :D surrounded by empty butterbeer bottles...he he

Postby _tonks_ » Friday 12 August 2005 1:02:22pm

Hi crystallised_pineapple and thanks,

what I meatn was that if someone like Snape searches for a title to give himself, why given a title with the thing that he doesn't be proud of, like being a muggleborn. Even if it was just for himself only, I would think of a name that points out something special (good) and not what he hates...

_tonks_
_tonks_
Squib

Postby Fantasy girl » Friday 12 August 2005 1:42:15pm

but what if he gave him self that title to be proud of the magical heritage he did have :???:
Fantasy girl
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby _tonks_ » Friday 12 August 2005 1:48:05pm

ok, but what about to mention, that he is the "potion-master prince" or something and not if to say it in his own words "the mudbloodborn prince"...

know what I mean?

_tonks_
Last edited by _tonks_ on Friday 12 August 2005 4:02:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
_tonks_
Squib

Postby Snow_Crystal » Friday 12 August 2005 2:37:23pm

Hi Tonks! Glad you found us here. If you haven't already signed up for Gryffindor, sign up now and head for the following feed...

http://www.broomsticksandowls.com/forum ... &start=330

You'll see why when you take a look!!

I can't fathom why Snape was proud to be half-blood but I think he was. Is it because he idolised Half-Bloods like LV? Did he know LV was a half-blood? Did he aspire to LV as a result?
Last edited by Snow_Crystal on Friday 12 August 2005 2:39:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby Tanuki » Friday 12 August 2005 2:38:15pm

I think Snape realized something very few do in the wizarding world

1) He was going to rock the foundation of puebloods by being better than them, despite a muggle father (part of my theory that he is actiually a faction unto himself

and

2) Snape realized that it is half blood shaping teh destiny of their world, not purebloods or muggle borns
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Next

Return to The Books