Sirius Black

Who do you like best and who could you definately live without? Will there be romance in the air for any of them and who will end up with who?

Moderators: Mistress Siana, Q.Araignee, Scarlet Lioness

Sirius Black

Postby Neo » Tuesday 24 June 2003 9:23:51am

Why him??, really, why him???; well now he is dead and we can't do anything (can we).

I remember it was Sirius the one that told the twins that they were too young to understand some things, that there were things worth dying for, I must have guess he would die after saying that.

I only have one doubt, what happens when you cross the veil? Since Lupin never explained Harry, only said he was dead, and DD also does not explain this. But Luna mentions the voices that came from it, and that she could talk to her mother, which kind of connection can we make from this (I'm still working on it); but somethings tells me this is not the end of Sirius Black.
Neo
Gryffindor Chaser and The Chosen One

Postby choki » Tuesday 24 June 2003 9:30:27am

ah Sirius...he didn't have to die but...no choice it is printed out in the book
n the part that hurts me most is when Harry opened the parcel Sirius gave him on platform 9 3/4...if he had opened it b4 going to the Ministry, Sirius would still be alive...
but i won't blame Harry for that...it is just a real pity

And i really think we won't seeing the last of Sirius esp after Luna said abt hearing voices from the dead through the veil. Who knows maybe Harry will go back to that arch n talk to Sirius
choki
Gryffindor Prefect and Silent Guardian Of Stars

Postby techjohn » Friday 27 June 2003 3:47:40pm

I didn't understand the bit with the mirror. :???:

If I was Harry, i'd have ripped it open ASAP to see what it was, and i'm sure a lot of other people would have done too.

How could he keep it for nearly a year without seeing what it was? Why didn't he think about it as a way of speaking to his godfather?

I suppose, though, that JKR wanted to kill Sirius off somehow, in an emotional way to Harry.
techjohn
Sixth Year

Postby Fafnul Black » Friday 27 June 2003 3:59:33pm

If intelligible speech could really be carried through the Veil, then I guess communication with Sirius would be possible.

But do we truly want that ? I mean, there were the ghosts, fine, this is standard magical world beings, but now if you can speak to the deads, too, that is going far into mystic / religious matters. Certainly Necromancy has always been a popular part of magic (in folklore at least, if not in the hearts), but to allow Sirius to be simply talked too, even in whispers, well, that could spoil lots of thing (death itself, to begin with).

That's why I do not hope to hear Sirius again, apart from a "he-will-always-be-with-you" angle, like reminding him and finding the will to fight, or stuff like that.

As for Luna, well, she clearly belongs to the Department of Mistery, let her speak to the Veil if she wants, so long as we are none the wiser :grin:
Fafnul Black
Fourth Year

Postby Charis » Friday 27 June 2003 11:36:34pm

I agree with Fafnul...it might better to leave the dead alone...even if it does mean not talking to sirius again. after all, that might just make harder for Harry to cope with Sirius' death, to open the wound again. i mean, Harry can't stay and have sirius to talk to forever. i am interested to figure out the mystery of the veil, though...what exactly is it? i suppose we'll find out sometime.
Charis
Lady of the Lake

Postby techjohn » Saturday 28 June 2003 8:34:47am

I've drawn-up the Black family tree, although there are some big holes in it.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/techjohn/hp/black.pdf

Can you add anything to it for me? Does anyone know where the Weasleys fit in? :???:
techjohn
Sixth Year

Postby Blaise Zabini » Saturday 28 June 2003 7:44:45pm

I think that the ordeal with the mirror just made Sirius's death all the more heart-breaking. The fact that Harry waited until then to upon it only to discover that it was a means of communicating with Sirius and would have thus, prevented his trip to the MoM was incredibly tragic. :cry: Though the time immediately follwing his death was sad, it was only until Harry discovered the mirror that the full implications of it sunk in for me. :(

And John, the family tree is excellent! Once I re-read that part of the book, I'll see if I can add any of the others into it. Great job!
Blaise Zabini
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Lizzy Bennet » Saturday 28 June 2003 7:50:55pm

Blaise Zabini wrote:I think that the ordeal with the mirror just made Sirius's death all the more heart-breaking. The fact that Harry waited until then to upon it only to discover that it was a means of communicating with Sirius and would have thus, prevented his trip to the MoM was incredibly tragic. :cry: Though the time immediately follwing his death was sad, it was only until Harry discovered the mirror that the full implications of it sunk in for me. :(

And John, the family tree is excellent! Once I re-read that part of the book, I'll see if I can add any of the others into it. Great job!

Until I looked at that map (great job, by the way! :grin: yay for Ravenclaws! :D ), it hadn't really sunk in for me that Draco's aunt is none other than Bellatrix Lestrange! :eek: You know Harry *and* Neville have a bone to pick with her (well, far more than that, but you get my drift! :razz: ) regarding Sirius and Neville's parents. :cry: I hope Sirius (and Neville's parents) are properly avenged! :evil:
Lizzy Bennet
Angel of Music and Giver of Hugs

Postby HuffleDuck » Saturday 28 June 2003 10:17:59pm

:???: :???: Have anybody ever thought of why Harry didn't think of the Time Turner? he once used it to rescue Sirius once, but why not again? these timing things are kinda complicated. For example, In book 3, the future harry saved the present harry. So the future already happened. The thing i don't get is. When Harry nad hermy go back in time to save Sirius, in the hospital Harry and Hermy have to wait for the present Harry & Hermy to leave. So it must be the same replay of rescueing Sirius... :x It's kina hard to explain, hope didn't confuse anybody.. What im trying to say is that the future already happened and the past keep replaying?

:razz: Hope somebody understand what im trying to explain :razz:
HuffleDuck
Keeper of the Lake

Postby Lizzy Bennet » Saturday 28 June 2003 10:22:35pm

Friendsforever wrote::???: :???: Have anybody ever thought of why Harry didn't think of the Time Turner? he once used it to rescue Sirius once, but why not again? these timing things are kinda complicated. For example, In book 3, the future harry saved the present harry. So the future already happened. The thing i don't get is. When Harry nad hermy go back in time to save Sirius, in the hospital Harry and Hermy have to wait for the present Harry & Hermy to leave. So it must be the same replay of rescueing Sirius... :x It's kina hard to explain, hope didn't confuse anybody.. What im trying to say is that the future already happened and the past keep replaying?

Oh boy! :razz: Anytime we get into time-travel it's always a bit confusing, so I'm not sure there's any way of talking about it that wouldn't make it somewhat hard to understand...though, yours makes more sense than others! :)

Go here (to our time-travel thread, but be careful...we can't discuss book 5 in any sections other than the book 5 sections) for more thoughts on the time-travel business from various posters:

http://www.broomsticksandowls.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1041

Your question would be perfect there and it's possible it's already been answered...go see and good luck! :D
Lizzy Bennet
Angel of Music and Giver of Hugs

Postby gecko » Saturday 28 June 2003 10:27:54pm

Why didn't Harry use the mirror Sirius gave him when he wanted to contact him. It was a gift from his godfather whom he admired, and he didn't even open the package untill the end of the year! When I get gifts or presents, I open them right away, or almost right away : )

If he had used it, Sirius might not have been killed; then again, if he had used it, the whole battle in the MoM would not have happened, and Fudge's and Umbridge's 'reign of terror' wouldn't have ended.. pwew it gets complicated !
gecko
Supreme Mugwump, Walker of Walls and Receiver of Won's Smooches

Postby Charis » Sunday 29 June 2003 8:47:41pm

Friendsforever wrote::???: :???: Have anybody ever thought of why Harry didn't think of the Time Turner? he once used it to rescue Sirius once, but why not again? these timing things are kinda complicated. For example, In book 3, the future harry saved the present harry. So the future already happened. The thing i don't get is. When Harry nad hermy go back in time to save Sirius, in the hospital Harry and Hermy have to wait for the present Harry & Hermy to leave. So it must be the same replay of rescueing Sirius... :x It's kina hard to explain, hope didn't confuse anybody.. What im trying to say is that the future already happened and the past keep replaying?

i think I understand what you're saying about the time travel thing, and it would have made sense to use the time turner for sirius. but, I'm sure hermione doesn't stilll have the time turner, and where would they get one? time turners can't just be used for anybody, or else hardly anyone would die. remember, McGonangall had to write alot of letters to the ministry and go through alot of things to let hermione have one. they can't just be used whenever it would be nice to save someone.
Charis
Lady of the Lake

Postby Lunatech » Thursday 3 July 2003 6:42:44pm

Just for a random note, the Black family names were taken from a constelation in the sky. I'll find the specifics in a bit but yes, Sirius is a name of a star and a part of a constelation.

Luna
Lunatech
Fourth Year

Postby Charis » Thursday 3 July 2003 7:23:30pm

wow! thats cool! you're just full of fun facts, Luna :D
Charis
Lady of the Lake

Postby Lunatech » Friday 4 July 2003 2:48:18am

:*( i'm a big nerd!
Lunatech
Fourth Year

Next