Half Blood Prince

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

Postby TDM » Friday 23 July 2004 2:55:55am

hmm, i think the whole idea of Ron and Hermione's child was meant as a joke, especially since JKR said in an interview that she would never bring 'real world' problems in the books. i. e. teenage pregancy and drugs, ect. anyway, GG is who i think it is, as he could have very well been the very first half blood...ever!
TDM
Owner of Salamence's Wand Shop and Ravenclaw Seeker

Postby paintballdecoy » Friday 23 July 2004 2:53:22pm

I don't know about Godric. Remember in the song "What better friends then Slytherin and Gryffandor?" I hardly think if Slytherin wouldn't let half bloods into Hogwarts I doubt he was best friends with one.
paintballdecoy
Chief Paintball Wizard, Theory Master and Voldemort Spy

Postby choki » Friday 23 July 2004 3:34:03pm

I thought Salazar Slytherin was only against muggle born wizard/witch but not 'so' against half blood? He only wished to retain magic learning among wizarding families and I guess that being a half blood isn't considered an outcast...
choki
Gryffindor Prefect and Silent Guardian Of Stars

Postby TDM » Friday 23 July 2004 8:18:57pm

well, SS left over a disagreement. perhaps he had just found out that his best friend was a half blood. now i'm getting paranoid, and thinking that JKR is leading into a traps with all of these conveniences.
TDM

Postby Deedra Malfoy » Saturday 24 July 2004 6:50:40pm

Conveniences or coincidences, they all have a pupose to the story, in some odd... um, twisted way.
Deedra Malfoy
Trainer of Magical Creatures

No joke this time

Postby Reverie Revenge » Saturday 24 July 2004 8:59:10pm

Well, it's pretty obvoius Hermione & Ron will get together. Thes bicker so much, the tension is growing and they can't wait till 7th year ... but Hermione's bookish character may delay the HBP's birth :razz:

Actually I didn't mean it as a joke, and JKR has already dealth with loads of real life problems (corruption stands out, let alone genocide!). Why would she avoid teenage pregnancy - it's known to all kids, you can't hide it :roll: :o I'm surprised she said so:
JKR said in an interview that she would never bring 'real world' problems in the books. i. e. teenage pregancy and drugs, ect.

And if Hermione comes among the Weasleys, she may soften even more (her character gets softer every year) ... Molly Weasley must have had Bill very young!
Reverie Revenge
Funny Freaky Fulfiled Fascinating Feminist Freethinker

Postby Reverie Revenge » Saturday 24 July 2004 9:10:30pm

Paintballdecoy wrote:I don't know about Godric. Remember in the song "What better friends then Slytherin and Gryffandor?" I hardly think if Slytherin wouldn't let half bloods into Hogwarts I doubt he was best friends with one.

I agree, maybe if Salazar already knew Godric was a half-blood, he'd be less selective about purity. If, if, if, ... if Salazar and Godric were best friends they must have known a lot about each other before even starting the school :roll:

I think Salazar was against half-bloods as well - their muggle relatives were a link to muggle world, the world that prosecuted wizards :x . So the founders wanted to separate from muggles, so they built the castle ''far away from muggles' prying eyes''.
Reverie Revenge
Funny Freaky Fulfiled Fascinating Feminist Freethinker

Postby Phinea Rogue » Sunday 25 July 2004 6:09:57pm

First, please, note that I'm very tired and when I'm tired, strange things come to my mind... :grin:

The HBP is supposed to be connected with the CoS. Well, in this book we've actually met something "royal" -- the king of the serpents, Salazar's basilisk (in Latin basilicus means royal). If we can consider "prince" as a heir to someone, what if it's some offspring of a basilisk and there're more things hidden in the Chamber? That would make prince not a person, but an animal or maybe something part-human? Hmm, I'm confusing even myself now... :-?
Phinea Rogue
Slytherin Prefect

Postby TDM » Sunday 25 July 2004 8:01:09pm

About why JKR didn't feel that drugs or teen pregnancy didn't belong in the books: they are children's books, even with all the death and such. Little kids know about death, I lost one of my best friends to it in 3rd grade. But that's besides the point. My point is that she doesn't want awkward questions from the kids to their parents. I could see a little kid going "Mommy, why did Hermione have a baby? Did the stork visit her, too?" Basically, kids books do not need s*x in them. They are children's books, but they are enjoyed by everyone. All done.

About Phinea's theory: I still think that it's a person. But maybe you're right on a different note. Perhaps an animal does have something to do with it.
TDM

Postby Phaerie » Sunday 25 July 2004 8:10:49pm

cool idea phinea, and if its another snake harry is the only person at hogwarts able to talk to it!

But i'm not sure whether JK would repeat, the "theres dangerous things in the chamber of secrets"

I think its pretty likely that GG was a pure blood. throughout the books we're generally lead to believe that the wizarding population was larger than it is now- hence more pure blood wizards, and it is kinda likely that SS wouldn't really be good friends with a half blood considering his views.

GG believed that anybody with potential should get taught, whilst SS thought it should be kept in families which already had wizard blood (right?)

Seeing as wizards have no royal family, the closest thing we i can come up with is the 4 founders of hogwarts. Seeing as we know its not voldemort (heir of slytherin) or harry (quite possibly heir of gryffindor) it seems more likely to be a ravenclaw or hufflepuff, but we don't really know many of them in detail. Except hagrid, who is half blood in 2 senses of the word. Maybe if grawps father becomes ruler of the giants (can't remember the word they used) that would make Hagrid kinda a step-prince
Phaerie
Princess of Rainbows, Moonlight Dreamer and Gryffindor Prefect

Location: Doing double backs on a trampoline and scaring her spotters!

Postby Lone_Buck » Sunday 25 July 2004 8:22:35pm

Maybe SS knew that GG was a halfblood. They were best friends but than GG did a lil sumthin sumthin to betray SS, and it was so bad he started to distrust Half Bloods.
Lone_Buck
Magical Law Enforcement and Wand-maker Extraordinaire

Postby *Lily* » Sunday 25 July 2004 9:28:18pm

Just because SS hates muggle borns doesn't mean he hates half bloods. Firstly, His own heir is a half blood. And being that he is half blood he also hates muggleborns but Can he hate half bloods when he doesn't hate himself... you know what? this all made sense in my head but it sounds gobblygook here. so I'll stop rambling now...
*Lily*
Third Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Phaerie » Sunday 25 July 2004 10:47:05pm

I don't think SS actually planned that his heir would be a half blood its just one of those things that happened. So SS himself could hate half bloods (who after all are partly of muggle desent) as he doesn't know that his heir is one, being dead and all.

Voldemort has in essence completely rejected his muggle heritage. He loathes the fact that he had a muggle father. And possibly (going into pop psychology here) he hates ha;f bloods more than, muggle borns, because he hates what he is, and hence others like him.
Phaerie
Princess of Rainbows, Moonlight Dreamer and Gryffindor Prefect

Location: Doing double backs on a trampoline and scaring her spotters!

Postby Cougie » Monday 26 July 2004 9:17:54am

Whoa, just found out about the title today. Been busy for the past month.

OK. So did JKR say anything about the HBP apart from it's not HP or Voldemort? Did she say the HBP is even a character?

Could be anything for all we know.
Cougie
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: Australia Awards: Witch Weekly’s most charming smile

Postby AngelicS_89 » Monday 26 July 2004 2:28:50pm

Hi guys!!!I know I haven'ty been here for awhile,but realising of the title of new book has drawn me here,cause I'm asking myself the same question,who the HBP is?I read this topic through and through(my head hurts now because of that)and this is what I have to say:

If GG would be HBP,and Harry his heir,that would lead to =Harry is a HBP too.So one of the things probably don't fit in there,and I think that's the fact that GG is HBP.And I'm most definetly sure that GG is pureblood.

Now,there are some intersting things about DD too:
1.He seems not to be pureblood cause he's not on the Blacks tree.

2.He has lots of "names".As he says he's Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore.Rather strange name even for wizards...

3.How old is DD?He was a teacher at Hogwarts when Tom R. went to school,that is 50 years ago,and then he was at least 30,so that would make him now about 85?Very powerful wizard for he's own age...And if we can belive for the thing from HP lexicon:

JKR gave DD's age at "about150" (Sch2),and since the stories takes place in the early 1990s,we estimate th date approximately 1840

But is it???

4.DD is a very,very powerful wizard,LV even fears him,and it seems he knows a lot.So what's up with that?How did he become so good?And how does he always now what will happen?Why does he trust Snape?

5.It has been mentioned in several ocassions(sp?) that he 'loves' muggleborns

6.He loves Harry,but why?What is so specially about him?The thing that he's without parents,and he's very brave,good at DADA...?Maybe he reminds him at someone???

7.It seems that time is very interesting thing in wizard world...I saw somewhere I don't remeber where that JKR has corrected several times who is whose ancestor,that is,decendent in the CoS,and that finally she left that LV is ancestor of SS.So maybe some ppl like to change or need to change time,so they could do somethings from past or future better...

You're probably asking what does this have to do with anythig?Or maybe you see what I'm trying to say?

DD he's someone from his past,and Harry's present.Maybe he's Harry?Dunno,but I think,that we have lots to find out about DD yet,and I think,and that he's the HBP is one of those.

And if you don't like this theory,there are some other too.There's something about Petunia what's bothering me?Is she a squib?What's the Evans family story?Does she hate her sister because Lily's a witch mum and dad's pride and joy,and she's just a squib?And if you ask me I kinda didn't buy that JKR's "Mark Evans" story all the why.Yes Evans is common surname,but in ordinary world.If you're writing a book you have to be careful about that.

Let me know what you think about all this...
AngelicS_89
Keeper of Smiles and Happiness

PreviousNext

Return to Theories