Draco's end?

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

How will Draco Malfoy end up?

He will die
20%
He will go to Azkaban
20%
He will survive
60%

Total votes : 25

Postby Alice I » Wednesday 5 May 2004 2:10:51am

To be honest I think that the whole prophacy thing is a dead stick now.
It has been done and Voldy thinks it's gone for good.
He knows it was smashed and that will end the quest for him in this particular venture.
I don't see any reason that he would know where else to look for it.
Wether or not he knows who uttered the actual prophacy is probably irrelevant.
DD being the listener would be Voldies only other target and lets face it, that wont happen at least until the last book.
I just don't see JKR taking that story line any further. I personally think that she is cooking up a new plan of evil deeds for Moldy to work on, and you know he does have that pesky arm to raise.
I imagine that he will be a bit too busy to go chasing windmills.
Alice I
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Dumbledores Master » Wednesday 5 May 2004 6:44:47pm

Well as I said correct me if I`m wrong. I agree with Alice 1, its very unlikely that he will persue the prophecy any more. Although he probably guessed that a direct descendant of whatsherface Trelawney being interviewed by DD would be bit suspicious. Especially if he got wind of him looking for this prophet.
Dumbledores Master
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: Floating around here somewhere not sure where though, maybe here maybe there or maybe nowhere

Postby Athena Appleton » Wednesday 5 May 2004 8:41:33pm

Emma'I'm a real witch' wrote:Whoever overheard the part of the prophecy and then got chucked out could of know a number of things, like the fact that DD was interviewing and then watched to see who the new teacher was.

well, that's only if he knew before the prophesy was given and stuck around through the interview... which I doubt... remember, he or she left before the prophesy was complete (or did they miss the first part... I can't remember)...

Possibly another reason why DD employed her, to keep her safe.

Ah-hah! I think this is the one and only reason. Dumbledore seemed to be quite suprised that Trelawney managed to come up with another true prophesy, lending the idea that he didn't expect her to ever have another one. So I think she's been employed by (or just living at, in the case of the end of OotP) Hogwarts for her protection and for no other reason, really.

I agree with Alice wholeheartedly on this one: the prophesy's smashed, and at least in the short term, Voldy won't be looking for it anymore. Could be that something could happen, he could somehow find out that there are some ways he could maybe possibly hear the prophesy in full... I'd like to see that time be the same time the prophesy's fulfilled, just for ironic purposes (he finally hears how the prophesy ends at the moment he's about to die... :grin:)
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Evil Wizard Petting Zoo » Wednesday 5 May 2004 9:21:22pm

Yeah, I agree with all that stuff Athena. I think Voldy's obvious plan in the next books will be to search for other ways to destroy Harry.

Even if Voldy does hear the prophesy somehow, I don't think he'll be satisfied. I think Voldy thought that the prophesy spelled out how exactly to destroy Harry or for Harry to destroy Voldemort.
Evil Wizard Petting Zoo
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Groo » Thursday 6 May 2004 2:32:03pm

The prophecy wasnt satisfactory, but whether Voldemort would have been satisfied with it isnt important
what is important is that Harry has escaped from him 5 times now, and LV thinks the reason for that is his ignorance about the prophecy. he thinks that he is missing some vital way of killing Harry which the prophecy would have revealed.

i agree with all that the prophecy wont find any importance in the furthur books. we had one whole book revolving around the prophecy and one more story on it would be un-Rowling-like
Groo
A true Ravenclaw, Master of Legilimency and the biggest fear of all Boggarts

Postby Athena Appleton » Thursday 6 May 2004 4:44:01pm

Okay, I just read through The Lost Prophesy chapter, and I have some thoughts...

Here's what Rowling says for definate in the books:

Dumbledore did not expect anything from Trelawney
The interview was over, and Trelawney was not hired, when the prophesy was made (Dumbledore was getting up to leave)
The eavesdropper was detected a short way into the prophesy, meaning he or she only heard the first part (before it says Voldy would mark the child as his equal)

So what Voldy knows about the prophesy is "The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches...Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies..."

What if Voldy starts thinking that the reason Harry has managed to escape, but never kill, him is because he is not, in fact, the chosen one? What if Voldy gets the idea in his head to kinda try out the other kid the prophesy could be talking about?

I know that kinda doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but Voldy is clearly perplexed as to why Harry hasn't been able to be killed yet.

I don't really think the prophesy will have a whole story based around it again, but I also don't think this is the last we've heard of it. I mean, a man as determined as Voldy, a man who was as determined to get his hands on that prophesy as Voldy was, is not going to just let it go entirely too easily...

This is really just kind of rambling thought, but I do think there's a slight possibility that Neville could be in more danger in the next book, if Voldy decides to check himself and make sure that he's been going after the right kid the whole time.
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Evil Wizard Petting Zoo » Friday 7 May 2004 1:37:05am

Good point, Athena. I was reading that part last night too! Voldemort must surely think that it is more than his mother's blood that is keeping him safe now.

About Neville: I don't think he'll be in too much danger unless Voldemort is able to get his hands on the prophecy and hear it out. Well it also depends on how much Voldemort heard of it.
Evil Wizard Petting Zoo
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby spagetti » Friday 7 May 2004 4:35:11pm

hey, i think its too predictable that wormtail kills lupin with the silver hand, the books don't usually turn out the most likely way, i think
spagetti
Muggle

Postby Dumbledores Master » Friday 7 May 2004 4:39:27pm

Not that predictable. I didn`t really think about it that much. And the remus and romulus/silver kills werewolves thing makes way too much sense. Also I think Neville could be a possibility ad he always has something to do with pivotal moments in the book or can help (I think)
Dumbledores Master
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: Floating around here somewhere not sure where though, maybe here maybe there or maybe nowhere

Postby Athena Appleton » Saturday 8 May 2004 11:46:16pm

Dumbledores Master wrote:Not that predictable. I didn`t really think about it that much. And the remus and romulus/silver kills werewolves thing makes way too much sense. Also I think Neville could be a possibility ad he always has something to do with pivotal moments in the book or can help (I think)

umm... one book. In OotP, Neville is a pivotal player... in other books, Neville's really nowhere to be found at major moments...

P/SS: yeah, he did stand up to the trio, which earned him ten house points. I think this did show some of his character (he is capable of doing something difficult), and I think it showed Dumbledore's character in how the famous boy wasn't the one that put the housepoints over the edge to make Gryffindor win, but the one who desperately needed encouragement was who he awarded last.

CoS: where's Neville?

PoA: where's Neville?

GoF: where's Neville?

OotP: like I said, obviously Neville is there and a major character at the end.
Athena Appleton

Postby imc130d » Monday 10 May 2004 9:46:44pm

I'm not sure whether or not this should be a new topic, so I'll post it in the one current "death thread" I know of. Liquid Ice or Jotomicron, if you think it rates its own topic, feel free to split it off.

I was looking for JKR quote fodder for threads last week, and i found this little tidbit from an article in October 1999:

She wouldn't say much about the next book but she did reveal that one of the characters will die before the seven-volume series ends. "I won't say which one, but I will say one of them dies."

The article itself doesn't say how important the character in question actually is, but I do remember that it was generally taken to mean that one of the core threesome (Ron, Hermione, Harry) will die. The problem is, I can't remember WHY it was taken that way. But two books later, obviously more than one character has died, so I'm not sure what else it could mean.

So if anyone else here is from the SF Bay Area and remembers when that little bombshell hit the news, can you shed any light on this?
imc130d
Second Year

Postby Alice I » Monday 10 May 2004 10:16:27pm

I am not really very good with the timing of things so help me out here. in the quote that you have JKR says someone will die in the next book. What book is being refered to in this quote, four, five or six?
Alice I
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby imc130d » Monday 10 May 2004 11:28:22pm

The quote doesn't refer to any book in particular. It just says that by the time the series is finished, one of the characters will die.
imc130d
Second Year

Postby Athena Appleton » Tuesday 11 May 2004 1:27:55am

Unless I saw the actual interview as a whole, I really wouldn't draw the conclusion that the one to die will be one of the three. When they wrote that, I think it was leading up to Goblet of Fire, and one person died in Goblet of Fire. I think it's possible that Rowling was referring to "one person" in general, speaking about any major player in the story, and Cedric was a major player in the fourth book.

I forget where I've seen it, but I really don't think Rowling is killing off one of the three main characters. I know that she has said she finds it odd that people seem more worried about Ron than Hermione, so I think Hermione will be in some kind of real danger before the series are over, but I really wish I could remember where I heard (and I heard it, it was more the way she said it than what she said) that none of the three will die.
Athena Appleton

Postby paintballdecoy » Tuesday 11 May 2004 9:44:33pm

Okay, In my honest opinion, this will be the obituary in the Daily Phophet :-)

Harry-Dead (Possible at the hands of Voldemort, or they shall both die during a fight)

Hermione- Lives (I really think she will go on to great things)

Ron-Dead (Working for the order, in the heat of Battle)

Dumbledore-Dead (Most definitly, Voldemort will do it, or Harry)

Voldemort- On the Fence (He could go either way)

Molly Weasly- Dead ( Saving someone she cares for)

Author-Lives (To become the next Minister of Magic)

Goerge - Dead (or Lives, but Fred Dies)

Fred- Lives (or dies)

Ginny- Dead (trying to avenge Harry or her mothers death)

Charlie and Bill - Lives (just becuase they really haven't been mentioned)

Neville - Lives (to murder Voldemort and to save his parents, while become the next minister of Magic)

Cho- Dead (voldemort or death eaters use her as bait)

Lupin- Dead (The final member to die)

I really can't think of anymore, and I have to go....
paintballdecoy
Chief Paintball Wizard, Theory Master and Voldemort Spy

PreviousNext

Return to Theories