Albus Dumbledore - Friend or Fiend?

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

Postby Aberforth » Friday 12 March 2004 3:52:42pm

There's no evidence to suggest that the pensieve can hold anything other than real memories, and the memories are remarkably clear. However, you could be correct in saying it is DDs version of events. The mind plays tricks and you remember things differently to how they happened, especially something so long ago, but then this is rather important information to forget - how to kill voldemort.
Aberforth
Hogs Head Bartender

Postby Athena Appleton » Friday 12 March 2004 4:32:15pm

I know this is a little weird, but the way I read it that, when pertaining to the prophesies, the only people who can absolutely remember it as is is the person who heard it... so the prophesy in Dumbledore's pensieve is the actual prophesy...

good point, though, about the people's version of events... I mean, there's a good chance there's a pensieve somewhere with a memory of "Sirius killing Wormtail and 12 Muggles"...

There is one throwback: With Snape's memory the day he took the OWLS with James and the gang, unless Snape was aware of everything going on around him, how could Harry be following different people around and hear what was supposed to be a private conversation, with Snape being further away? This suggests to me that the memories saved in the Pensieve save exactly as the events happen... Maybe this is what Dumbledore means that it allows him to organize his thoughts. He can see things from a wider perspective.
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby darkcloak » Friday 12 March 2004 4:55:58pm

Athena Appleton wrote:There is one throwback: With Snape's memory the day he took the OWLS with James and the gang, unless Snape was aware of everything going on around him, how could Harry be following different people around and hear what was supposed to be a private conversation, with Snape being further away? This suggests to me that the memories saved in the Pensieve save exactly as the events happen... Maybe this is what Dumbledore means that it allows him to organize his thoughts. He can see things from a wider perspective.

Supporting that theory is the fact that when Harry recounts his vision of his father through Snape's memories to Sirius, Sirius acts as though it is perfectly accurate. If it was Snape's version of events, wouldn't it have been alot more biased against the Marauders (and maybe Lily)?
darkcloak
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Athena Appleton » Friday 12 March 2004 7:03:04pm

yeah... :lol: not that it could have gotton a lot worse than what James and Sirius were doing anyway... :grin:
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Dumbledores Master » Sunday 18 April 2004 7:23:05pm

The DADA teachers left of their own free will. The occlumency lessons were done by Snape bcse of reasons that are explained in OOTP. The ministry were acting like idiots. His staff have never harmed any pupils before and Lupin was being given a potion by Snape to render him harmless. He is concerned with Harry`s mental wellbeing so is witholding info. The giant killings were pointless bcse they were rural creatures and most were in mountains and were perfectly happy with goats. The Dementors thing is a pretty obvious choice and you kind of defeat yourself by saying he knew they were going to side with Voldemort. No student has ever been harmed by anything in Hagrids classes. Look at all the good things he has done, saved harry in PS and OOTP,defeated Grindelwald,lots of discoveries, never killed anyone that didn`t deserve it and lots more things. I think I have just defeated the entire point of this post, oops :-? :grin:
Dumbledores Master
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: Floating around here somewhere not sure where though, maybe here maybe there or maybe nowhere

Postby Emma'I'm a real witch' » Monday 19 April 2004 12:24:19am

Dumbledores Master wrote:The DADA teachers left of their own free will.

Not quite, One dead, one memory lost, one sacked, one arrested, and Umbridge, ordered out by DD.
Emma'I'm a real witch'
Seventh Year

Postby Athena Appleton » Monday 19 April 2004 4:26:41am

Dumbledores Master wrote:The DADA teachers left of their own free will. The occlumency lessons were done by Snape bcse of reasons that are explained in OOTP. The ministry were acting like idiots. His staff have never harmed any pupils before and Lupin was being given a potion by Snape to render him harmless. He is concerned with Harry`s mental wellbeing so is witholding info. The giant killings were pointless bcse they were rural creatures and most were in mountains and were perfectly happy with goats. The Dementors thing is a pretty obvious choice and you kind of defeat yourself by saying he knew they were going to side with Voldemort. No student has ever been harmed by anything in Hagrids classes. Look at all the good things he has done, saved harry in PS and OOTP,defeated Grindelwald,lots of discoveries, never killed anyone that didn`t deserve it and lots more things. I think I have just defeated the entire point of this post, oops :-? :grin:

There was a point of that post? I have the hardest time trying to leap from subject to subject that you're talkin about... :grin:

About no one ever being harmed in Hagrid's class... ummm, well, that's not entirely accurate. Malfoy was hurt, only not as bad as he made it seem like he was, and it was technically his fault. But hippogriffs are considered more dangerous than Hagrid thinks they are. Also, many students were burned, stung or scratched by the skrewts, remember they were nursing wounds after every class, and whenever Ron or Harry went down to help Hagrid with them, they'd come back with bandages. There's a lot of luck in Hagrid's class, in that there haven't been any really really dangerous injuries, but to say no one's been injured is proof that you haven't read the books very closely.
Athena Appleton

Postby Aberforth » Monday 19 April 2004 8:33:08am

Dumbledores Master wrote:The Dementors thing is a pretty obvious choice and you kind of defeat yourself by saying he knew they were going to side with Voldemort.

Why?

defeated Grindelwald,lots of discoveries, never killed anyone that didn`t deserve it

Dark wizards try to stamp out their opposition whether the opposition is good or bad. Besides, we have no evidence of further killings deserved or not.

I think I have just defeated the entire point of your post, oops :-? :grin: :P
Aberforth
Hogs Head Bartender

Postby Dumbledores Master » Monday 19 April 2004 11:49:05am

Quirrel had nothing obviously wrong with him and remember DD didnt know about Voldemort in the back of his head. And if dark wizards always stamp out competition good or bad why would he risk LV coming back? And wouldn`t he have killed off Harry? Lockhart would have sounded good at the time and had nothing obviously wrong with him. I think I pointed out in my post that Snape was giving Lupin a potion. Again he knew nothing about Moody/Crouch. He couldn`t do anything about Umbridge. What do you mean TECHNICALLY it was Draco`s fault? He wasn`t listening in class. There was no-one seriously harmed by the skrewts. To the author: would you have let Dementors into A SCHOOL? And the stamping out competition? Thats like saying "why kill Voldemort? He is only going to try and kill everyone he deems unworthy of learning magic or that is muggle"
Dumbledores Master
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: Floating around here somewhere not sure where though, maybe here maybe there or maybe nowhere

Postby Athena Appleton » Monday 19 April 2004 4:12:57pm

ugh... my brain is tired after trying to figure out your posts...

you made some very general statements earlier, DM. One of them is that all the DADA teachers left of thier own will. This is not true. They left because of unfortunate circumstances, every one of them. Quirrell died (couldn't have been in his daily planner), Lockhart accidentally blew his memory (not on purpose), Lupin had to resign because of the whole werewolf issue (this, I guess, could be considered his own will, but he was pretty forced into it), Moody Crouch got a kiss, and Umbridge was taken by the Centaurs, scared out of her wits, and then banished from the school. So your statement that they all left of their own free will is a lie.

Also, you said that no one was harmed in any of Hagrid's classes. This isn't true. No one was fatally injured. No one was seriously injured. But all those burns and scrapes the students suffered were the result of them being harmed.
Athena Appleton

Postby Aberforth » Monday 26 April 2004 12:03:26pm

Dumbledores Master wrote:And the stamping out competition? Thats like saying "why kill Voldemort? He is only going to try and kill everyone he deems unworthy of learning magic or that is muggle"

So Voldemort only killed people he thought unworthy to learn magic do he? He only killed muggle-born students? By the way I'm being sarcastic (I know Americans have a hard time with British humour - and spelling for that matter - humor :lol: )

LV didn't really care who he killed. Sure, when he opened the chamber of secrets the frst time, his aim was to erradicate the school of muggle-borns,but he was only 16 then and not into the wider world yet. He was a schoolkid who was so wrapped up in being Slytherin's heir that he followed in his creed at that time. But he killed plenty of others.

LV believes he is the greatest wizard of all time. If Dumbledore was really bad then he would want to kill the young pretender because they would clash eventually anyway. LV would eventually feel confident enough in his own abilities to challenge the old master to claim the greatest wizard crown.
Aberforth
Hogs Head Bartender

Postby Dumbledores Master » Saturday 1 May 2004 11:06:28am

Oh you know what I mean (or did you ?) maybe I should have said

Thats like saying "why kill Voldemort? He is only going to kill all who he deems unworthy of learning magic, torture and kill muggles and obliterate (in the non-magical sense of the word) anyone who opposes him.
Dumbledores Master
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Ferrus » Saturday 1 May 2004 11:52:03am

And if dark wizards always stamp out competition good or bad why would he risk LV coming back? And wouldn`t he have killed off Harry?

Well, Dumbledore knows about the prophesy so Harry would be his only way to get rid od Voldemort, an excellent reason not to kill him don´t you think?
Ferrus
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Dumbledores Master » Saturday 1 May 2004 12:35:17pm

He would have killed HP as soon as LV was dead. Athena DD had nothing to do with the killing,obliterating,FREE WILL,phsyco and official. Anyway in my post I was talking about hiring in the first place.
Dumbledores Master
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Dumbledores Master » Saturday 1 May 2004 12:38:36pm

And if DD is so evil he would be secretive and therefore not show off his full power. From what we have seen he is really powerful anyway so could probably destroy LV and HP. :-)
Dumbledores Master
Fully Qualified Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Theories