Harrys Unforgiveable Curse

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

Postby Aberforth » Friday 12 March 2004 3:49:03pm

Probably because if he knew Harry was the only one who could kill him, then all efforts would be centered on killing Harry first and LV would perhaps no longer fear DD as he knows DD can't kill him (even though DD believes there are worse things than death - LV doesn't believe that).

Imagine if you could live forever if you killed one person, surely as a bad guy all your attention would be on finding and killing that person.
Aberforth
Hogs Head Bartender

Postby Athena Appleton » Friday 12 March 2004 4:24:31pm

that makes sense... like, they know they have some chance of distracting Voldy long enough to allow Harry to be as prepared as he can be before having the final battle with Voldy...
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Lupus » Friday 12 March 2004 9:23:23pm

Probably because if he knew Harry was the only one who could kill him, then all efforts would be centered on killing Harry first and LV would perhaps no longer fear DD as he knows DD can't kill him (even though DD believes there are worse things than death - LV doesn't believe that).

Imagine if you could live forever if you killed one person, surely as a bad guy all your attention would be on finding and killing that person.

This sounds right. The only reason LV wanted to get prophecy was because he was puzzled why he coudn't kill Harry. He knew there must be something more to it. By now, he probably knows that Harry is important, but probably doesn't know yet why. It bothers him a lot, this Harry's "good luck", because he wants to kill him, to show his supporters that he's truly back. He wants to be feared again, and what better way than killing The Boy Who Lived.
I think in the next two books, JKR will have Voldemort try to get into Hogwarts, because he will concentrate on killing Harry.
Now, I have this feeling that DD knows how Harry will kill LV. DD isn't really preparing Harry for the duel. He's not teaching him powerful magic, he's letting Harry get the same education like everybody else. Why? Wouldn't it be better to have Harry trained more? Is this only because DD wants Harry to lead somewhat "normal" life until the time comes? It's like DD feels guilty that Harry is the one with this horrible burden, he must kill in order to save the world.
And if Harry will have to kill Voldemort, and if he won't be using magic to kill him, then it wouldn't matter how magical Harry is. But, so far, Harry needed magic to save himself, wouldn't then be better if DD still gave him some special lessons?
Lupus
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Athena Appleton » Friday 12 March 2004 9:44:25pm

Unless he was worried about the way it would look to the children of the Death Eaters if the headmaster himself is giving Harry special lessons... I think that's one of two reasons Dumbledore had Snape teach Harry the Occlumency, that's the reason they said it was Remedial Potions instead of Occlumency (it was believable, after all)... If the headmaster is giving Harry special lessons and Draco found out about it (as it can almost certainly be assumed he would, since everything's that's supposed to be secret winds up being common knowledge) he could mention it to his dad... it wouldn't be that hard to figure out that Dumbledore is giving Harry extra training, and they could start asking around why, which would quickly lead to figuring out about the eventual battle between Harry and Voldy...

I think in the next two books, JKR will have Voldemort try to get into Hogwarts, because he will concentrate on killing Harry.

Someone mentioned at one point, and I agree with them, that the reason Voldemort is having other people do his dirty work is that when he revived himself in the graveyard, he became mortal again... He's in hiding for now. If he went into Hogwarts, he would be "taking a risk" (so he would think, even we know otherwise because we know the full prophesy) by sneaking in right under Dumbledore's nose...
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Alice I » Friday 12 March 2004 10:21:04pm

Lupus wrote:This sounds right. The only reason LV wanted to get prophecy was because he was puzzled why he coudn't kill Harry. He knew there must be something more to it.

The part of the prophacy that DD wants to keep from LV I think is the bit about
"one cannot live while the other survives"
Alice I
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby pandora315 » Sunday 14 March 2004 7:16:58am

I think its possbile Voldy will try to break into Hogwarts and almost definite that he will be trying everyway possible to kill Harry. Voldy was in hiding but now that the MoM has alerted everyone I don't think he'll waste the time to remain in hiding. The other thing I want to say is that it doesn't have to be VOldy that kills Harry, anyone can tahts why Dumblefore sent Harry to the Dursleys in the first place, he knew VOldy's supporters would be after Harry when he was a baby after hearing what had happened. The prophesy says that Harry is the only one who can kill Voldy but not the other way around.
pandora315
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Athena Appleton » Sunday 14 March 2004 6:04:50pm

I don't feel like Voldemort will be sneaking into Hogwarts. I think the protection on Harry will be stepped up even more, and as a sixteen year old, he won't appreciate that at all, but the only way he'll really truly be vulnerable to Voldemort is if/when he himself goes out of the bounds of his protection (which he'll do, because he's always done it)... hopefully, this thing with Sirius, though, has helped him realize that the protection is there for a good reason and to have a little faith in the ones who know more than he does... but with all the guards, and all the teachers, and especially with Dumbledore, I don't think their confrontation will take place at Hogwarts.
Athena Appleton

Postby Alice I » Sunday 14 March 2004 7:19:18pm

Athena Appleton wrote:I don't feel like Voldemort will be sneaking into Hogwarts. I think the protection on Harry will be stepped up even more, and as a sixteen year old, he won't appreciate that at all, but the only way he'll really truly be vulnerable to Voldemort is if/when he himself goes out of the bounds of his protection (which he'll do, because he's always done it)... hopefully, this thing with Sirius, though, has helped him realize that the protection is there for a good reason and to have a little faith in the ones who know more than he does... but with all the guards, and all the teachers, and especially with Dumbledore, I don't think their confrontation will take place at Hogwarts.

I agree that Harry will probably put himself in danger by leaving the protective boundries of the school. As a matter of fact that is where I am plot stuck in my version of book 6. Harry leaves school to protect the people he care about.
Alice I
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Mistress Siana » Sunday 14 March 2004 8:00:48pm

hm..I really agree with Pandora that Harry using an Unforgivable Curse in the first place is scary. What does that show about his character? Okay, it didn't work because he didn't really mean it, but it certainly marks a development in a questionable direction. The Harry in his first years wouldn't have acted that way. That scene keeps me wondering how much of Voldemort really is inside of him...
Mistress Siana
Slytherin Chaser and Devil's advocate

Postby Athena Appleton » Sunday 14 March 2004 8:47:45pm

I don't think that it's really all that scary... I never felt like Harry was a sugar-coated good guy... he's the hero of the story, but he's normal and he's got a lot of anger... plenty of teenage boys, when faced with the person who killed the one person in the world who really cared about him (even though he knows the Weasleys, Lupin, Dumbledore, etc. care about him, you get what I mean) and who sent a close friend's parents into insanity would do anything they could think of to get revenge...
Athena Appleton

Postby Alice I » Sunday 14 March 2004 10:27:06pm

Athena Appleton wrote:I don't think that it's really all that scary... I never felt like Harry was a sugar-coated good guy... he's the hero of the story, but he's normal and he's got a lot of anger... plenty of teenage boys, when faced with the person who killed the one person in the world who really cared about him (even though he knows the Weasleys, Lupin, Dumbledore, etc. care about him, you get what I mean) and who sent a close friend's parents into insanity would do anything they could think of to get revenge...

I agree; Harry was beside himself. He said "She killed Sirius, I'm going to kill her!" as he ran out after her. Thses feelings are normal. If someone had hurt or killed someone I loved that much I do not believe that I would do anything different, and I am generally a pretty good person.

He is; as Athena stated, a fifteen year old teenager and that seems in character,
however how much will trying to use an unforgivable vurse tourture Harry as he thinks about the events of that day? :???:
Alice I
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Aberforth » Monday 15 March 2004 11:41:05am

Athena Appleton wrote:I don't feel like Voldemort will be sneaking into Hogwarts. I think the protection on Harry will be stepped up even more, and as a sixteen year old, he won't appreciate that at all, but the only way he'll really truly be vulnerable to Voldemort is if/when he himself goes out of the bounds of his protection (which he'll do, because he's always done it)... hopefully, this thing with Sirius, though, has helped him realize that the protection is there for a good reason and to have a little faith in the ones who know more than he does... but with all the guards, and all the teachers, and especially with Dumbledore, I don't think their confrontation will take place at Hogwarts.

Having started PS again, Hagrid metions near the beginning that Voldemort didn't want to take on Hogwarts quite at that time:

Reckon Dumbledore's the only one You-Know-Who was afraid of. Didn't dare try takin' the school, not jus' then, anyway.

This has lead me to believe that he will attempt to take Hogwarts, possibly in bk 7.
Aberforth
Hogs Head Bartender

Postby Athena Appleton » Monday 15 March 2004 5:17:40pm

what I meant to say :grin: is that I don't think it'll happen in book 6, or anywhere until the end of book 7... when I read pandora's post about him breaking into hogwarts, I thought she meant in book 6 (and I now realize it doesn't technically say that anywhere :grin:)
Athena Appleton

Previous

Return to Theories