Molly's Second Cousin

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

Postby Athena Appleton » Wednesday 3 March 2004 11:42:35pm

I can see what cruzio (he or she?) means, too, even though I don't really see it the same way.

You're right... at the very first post, I did say that I don't think this is a serious issue, just a curiosity :grin:

Why would a man who collects electric plugs and is fascinated with the Muggle ways of starting a campfire not talk to an accountant relative? :lol:
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Gower » Wednesday 3 March 2004 11:47:34pm

I don't really know why he doesn't talk to his accounting relative. It seems like the sort of thing he would do. Maybe Molly stops him or something :lol:
Gower
Gryffindor Prefect, Head of Gryffindor Security Force and Member of Hogwarts Chess Team

Postby Phaerie » Thursday 4 March 2004 1:31:08am

Firstly a second cousin is rather a distant relation. How many people here know their second cousins??

PLus whta if he is like the dursleys. They hate magic and would never associate with people from the wizarding world. Pertunia ignored her own sister simply because she was a witch. Could this not be the case here?
Phaerie
Princess of Rainbows, Moonlight Dreamer and Gryffindor Prefect

Location: Doing double backs on a trampoline and scaring her spotters!

Postby Cruzio » Thursday 4 March 2004 12:06:08pm

cruzio (he or she?)

He (or so they tell me :o )
Cruzio
Third Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Gower » Thursday 4 March 2004 3:51:28pm

phaerie wrote:Firstly a second cousin is rather a distant relation. How many people here know their second cousins??

PLus whta if he is like the dursleys. They hate magic and would never associate with people from the wizarding world. Pertunia ignored her own sister simply because she was a witch. Could this not be the case here?

I never even thought of that! :grin:
But it's probably true!
Gower
Gryffindor Prefect, Head of Gryffindor Security Force and Member of Hogwarts Chess Team

Postby Athena Appleton » Thursday 4 March 2004 10:07:35pm

phaerie wrote:Firstly a second cousin is rather a distant relation. How many people here know their second cousins??

Okay, I'll admit it: I'm an odd case, and probably read that in the context that EVERYBODY knows their second cousins... In my extended family, first cousins are more like brothers and sisters you don't live with, but see all the time... second cousins are more like the typical first cousins, some closer than that... I can name up to my sixth cousins by name... but I grew up in a small town founded by my great great grandfather, and everyone just kinda stuck around... so okay, you have a point...

Once again, you have a point... :-) very good, you're wonderful, blah blah blah... :lol: j/k

I do wonder if we'll ever hear from second-cousin-the-accountant again... *shrugs* Yeah, probably not... I just like to nitpick little details
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby pandora315 » Wednesday 10 March 2004 5:06:33am

whoever came up with the thought that "who knows their second cousins" had a great point. I mean, yes some people would, my father has an addiction to finding out lost relatives, but I have no idea about any of mine and most people I know don't either. So how does Ron know? Isn't it odd that when Harry asks Ron if his whole family are wizards that Ron immediatly says his mom has a second cousin who's and accountant? I mean, its not evn his cousin its his mom (I don't know what that would amke the prson to him, anyone know?). It seems unassuming enough when you're just reading through but when you apply the conversation to youself it seems such an odd reply.

Also I don't know anything about this myself but I'd love it if someone would clue me in. I read in a thread somewhere on hear about a little Evans boy-possibly a relation to Harry (yes I know DD says he has no family left, but you never know), could he fit in here somewhere, making harry and Ron related (distantly)as well?
pandora315
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Cruzio » Wednesday 10 March 2004 9:46:53am

I read in a thread somewhere on hear about a little Evans boy-possibly a relation to Harry (yes I know DD says he has no family left, but you never know), could he fit in here somewhere, making harry and Ron related (distantly)as well?

God I hope not, too much soapopera in such story for my taste.
Besides that would make harry and ginny relatives, and a future relationship would be odd
Cruzio

Postby Athena Appleton » Wednesday 10 March 2004 4:30:24pm

Ron's mother's second cousin would be Ron's third cousin. It goes down each generation, from both sides. :lol: My great-grandfather's first cousin's grandson is my sixth cousin (told ya, I know my sixth cousins). It would go like this:

GGrandpa-MissRuth (his first cousin)
GGrandpa-Sharon (his second cousin, MissRuth's daughter)
GGrandpa-Will (his third cousin, MissRuth's grandson, Sharon's son, my age)
Grandma-Will (GGrandpa's daughter and Will are fourth cousins)
Mom-Will (Mom and Will are fifth cousins)
Me-Will (we're sixth cousins)

:lol: that looks even more confusing than it is in real life!!!
Athena Appleton

Postby Cruzio » Wednesday 10 March 2004 8:45:09pm

I can barely keep track of my real cousins! I think there are about.. 15 of them
Cruzio

Postby Athena Appleton » Wednesday 10 March 2004 8:50:08pm

:lol: well, I'm from a town founded by my own ancestors, and since they all stuck around this little town, it's easy for me to be close to all my "cousins"... the only thing that makes it confusing is when there are a different number of generations you're messin with (one first cousin is more like a niece, because she's six months younger than my son...)
Athena Appleton

Postby Alice I » Wednesday 10 March 2004 10:29:31pm

I think that Athena had a good question about the cousin Ron mentioned. Of all the throeies submitted afterward I think that who ever mentioned that mabe "the cousin" is a squib would be closest to the mark. Arthur would definately want to have association with a muggle in the family even if he were an accountant because he probably uses an eletric toothbrush :lol:
Bottom line Athena, I don't think JKR even thought about it when she wrote it. Remember this was her first book and the rest of the series concepts or at least the small niggly stuff wasn't invented yet.
Alice I
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Athena Appleton » Wednesday 10 March 2004 11:55:05pm

Alice I wrote:Bottom line Athena, I don't think JKR even thought about it when she wrote it. Remember this was her first book and the rest of the series concepts or at least the small niggly stuff wasn't invented yet.

Ha. Umm, J.K. Rowling's been working on these books for almost twenty years (says so in several interviews) and has notebooks and notebooks of tiny background information. The seven Harry Potter books were something she planned carefully before she ever published book one, it isn't like most author's series where they just write each one seperately.

I will agree that probably the second cousin has no real relevence, but it would be one of the very few times a character is mentioned in an offhand way and doesn't make an appearance later.
Athena Appleton

Postby pandora315 » Thursday 11 March 2004 6:18:39am

COuld go either way. I agree that Jk knows just what she's going to write down to almost every detail, but who knows, maybe this was just thrown in to be funny. I mean "mom has a second cousin thats an accountant, but we don't wtalk about him much." Could be sort of like saying "I have and uncle who won't eat dinner without his bare feet propped on the table who eats peas off a knife, but we don't like to talk about him much." Which if funny really, everyone has those quirky relatives that everyone in the family pokes fun at.
pandora315
Fully Qualified Wizard

I read it the same way.

Postby hbic3 » Thursday 25 March 2004 2:02:21am

I didn't read that line as Mum's second cousin is a taboo subject, I just read it as... We never talk about him, so I really don't know that much.

I think a lot more people than you think know their second or third cousins. Atleast by name. And have met them at least once.

Wasn't there a student whose parents were accountants? Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like it was written as like a passing statement. Small talk. Maybe not.
hbic3
Second Year

PreviousNext

Return to Theories