An Interesting Philosophy

Have you seen the movies, either in the cinema theatre, or on video or DVD, or thinking of seeing them? Share your views here.

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Snow_Crystal

Which title is better?

Sorceres stone
18%
Philosophers stone
82%

Total votes : 28

Postby Writer » Wednesday 3 March 2004 3:40:34pm

I think Philosophers stone is better.
Perhaps because I'm in england and that's the title here. Also that is the original title.
Also the philosophers stone is mythical and goes beyond and further back than the Harry Potter books. I'm not entirely sure where it first originated but the earliest mention I have heard of it was in Hans Christian Andersen's 'The Philosopher's stone', written in 1859. I think it goes further back than that, even. The exact nature of the stone has changed throughout different reincarnations in different stories, though stayed fundamentally the same. This is undoubtedly where JKR got her inspiration.
I'm a big fan of Hans Christian Andersen :)
Writer
Supreme Giver of Names and Female of the Species

Postby Nobby » Thursday 4 March 2004 5:52:15pm

I to favour the philosopher's stone as i am from england as well. I think i heard in an interview somewhere that JK was happy with the title being changed but beared with it because she just wanted people to read her books
Nobby
Hufflepuff Prefect and The Half Blood Prince

Postby Athena Appleton » Thursday 4 March 2004 10:36:19pm

I know, this is an old old thread and I am guilty of not reading all the posts, but I have the official answer.

Philosopher's Stone was the original title of the first Harry Potter book in Great Britain. However, in America, the word "philosopher" conjurs up an image of a boring ancient man rather than a mystical character... So they changed it to Sorcerer's Stone in the US (and I don't know which it is in the other various countries) to create an image of a mystical, magic stone, instead of a sit-around-in-the-library-reading-Socrates image...
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Hermione Weasley » Friday 5 March 2004 1:01:35am

Well I think thecheese is on the right track bc there are different translations in different countries so they use different words.
Hermione Weasley
Gryffindor Prefect, Healer at St Mungo's and Keeper of Songs

Postby paintballdecoy » Friday 5 March 2004 3:43:52am

A prefer the Philosopher Stone, sounds more mysterious to me
paintballdecoy
Chief Paintball Wizard, Theory Master and Voldemort Spy

Postby Athena Appleton » Friday 5 March 2004 3:12:05pm

Out of curiosity, paintball, where are you from?

I'm from the U.S. I can definately see why they changed it to Sorcerer's Stone here, because it does bring up a much more magical, mystical image than Philosopher...
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Alice I » Friday 2 April 2004 10:56:02am

I personally like the Sourcers Stone better because That it all I knew about until joining this forum

I voted for Philosephers stone however because that is what JKR wanted to call it and did call it when she first wrote the book.
Alice I
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Amon Rê » Friday 2 April 2004 12:55:04pm

Well the Philosopher's stone goes back into and before medieval history. The alchemists (similar to modern day pharmacists) were always looking for how to make the philosopher's stone. It wasn't said to give you immortal life until later, the primary reason for searching for it was the metal => gold property at the beginning.

I like philosopher's stone better because I know the history behind the Philosopher's stone, whereas the Sorceror's stone was something Scholastic came up with...
Amon Rê
Dreamer of Dreams, Registered Animagus (Snow Owl) and Ambassador from the Isle of Dreams

Postby Athena Appleton » Friday 2 April 2004 4:36:46pm

that does make sense... I think it's just that the target audience wouldn't have known the history of the philosopher's stone, so, without that background information, philosopher conjures images of Plato, Socrates, a lot of dead guys... sorcerer conjures up cool magical powers...
Athena Appleton

Postby Ferrus » Friday 2 April 2004 8:20:12pm

I voted for Philosophers Stone, because it conjures plenty of mistical/magical concepts, but then I know about the general backgruond of the Stone, the alchemists and all that. If someone isn´t familiar with the legend I suppose that "Sorcerors Stone" sound a lot more cool.
Ferrus
Fully Qualified Wizard

Previous

Return to The Movies