Lord of the Rings discussion

Meet everyone here in The Great Hall for general discussions. Here you'll find a friendly place to talk about all things under the magnificent magical ceiling...even stuff not connected with Harry Potter!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, DucksRMagical, Broccoli, Run Away!!!, Phoenix in the Ashes

Postby master_o_magic » Sunday 15 February 2004 10:16:01pm

yeah well he doesn't even HAVE to have an elf freind. Elves live forever right?? well his father is king or Mirkwood, making Legolas prince. Legolas doesn't neccesarily have to marry, even though he is heir, his father'll live ofrever...wait now im confused....ohwell.

:???:

~Master_o_Magic~
master_o_magic
Third Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Devinci » Monday 16 February 2004 2:28:50am

Maybe Legolas was...a little turned off when it came to relationhsips after watching Aragorn's love life....*shrug*

And that was a good point, that elves probably don't...care about marriage, considering there are tons of them....and the birth rate is ALWAYS higher than the death rate....for....obvious reasons.
Haha, I never thought of it that way.
Devinci
Hugger of Trees and Saver of Whales

Postby master_o_magic » Monday 16 February 2004 5:49:12am

lol

yeah! but neways dwarves do get married... or thats what i presumed from the movie.

on the journey from Emyn Muil to helms deep Gimili is riding the grey horse and Eowen is walking beside the horse. i think this is the quote of gimili however its not exact:
"alot of people presume that there are no dwarf women and they jsut pop out of holes in the ground...."

~Master_o_Magic~
master_o_magic

Postby master_o_magic » Monday 16 February 2004 5:50:33am

woops! not emyn muil, umm edoras..yeh dats it

soz :oops:

~Master~
master_o_magic

Postby AngelicS_89 » Monday 16 February 2004 12:07:13pm

Well,he doesn't have to care about marriage to be in love.I mean ppl fall in love all the time and they don't necesserily have to get married right away!Or to have a child.My aunt lives with a guy for 5 years now and she didn't get married yet or she doesn't have a child either!
Doesn't really matter the thing about living forever.His father won't be a king forever,he'll get tired of it one day,and Legolas will be the king instead.Anyways maybe I'm wrong,and Legolas will have a girlfriend/wife one day,but we can't find out that.I just said it's a litlle bit suspicuos that he goes everywhere with Gimli and that he doesn't have a girlfriend.
AngelicS_89
Keeper of Smiles and Happiness

Postby Selenia » Monday 16 February 2004 2:08:18pm

Fluffy bear wrote:I just said it's a litlle bit suspicuos that he goes everywhere with Gimli and that he doesn't have a girlfriend.

oh my god...what a disgusting theory! great sense of imagination though... :lol: haha.. ok, dwarves do have women/wives. Gimly told Eowyn
Selenia
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Gwared » Monday 16 February 2004 6:46:40pm

.:Selenia:. wrote:
Fluffy bear wrote:I just said it's a litlle bit suspicuos that he goes everywhere with Gimli and that he doesn't have a girlfriend.

oh my god...what a disgusting theory! great sense of imagination though... :lol: haha.. ok, dwarves do have women/wives. Gimly told Eowyn

Hmm, you should perhaps watch what you say somewhat in case there are gay or bi users in this forum. Please be sensitive to others :) .

~ Gwared :o

On a personal note, I believe female dwarfs are indistuinguishable from male dwarfs when dressed...., they both work in the mountains, both battle and both have beards. (I'm sure Sonkem'll correct me here :D )
Gwared
Gryffindor Prefect, Landlord of the Three Broomsticks and Common Welsh Green Dragon Keeper

Postby AngelicS_89 » Monday 16 February 2004 10:56:29pm

Gwared wrote:Hmm, you should perhaps watch what you say somewhat in case there are gay or bi users in this forum. Please be sensitive to others :) .

Gwared are you speaking for yourself :razz: .You're right you know,somebody could get ofended with this,cause it's not disguisting,it's a way of life.Some are hetero and some are not.That's way I mentioned this(about Legolas and Gimli)Only thing why I think Legolas and Gimli may not be gay is that this was written 40 years ago? and then that was something that ppl hide.
AngelicS_89
Keeper of Smiles and Happiness

Postby Scellanis » Monday 16 February 2004 11:33:36pm

lol, well actually, in the movie Aragorn tells Eowyn that female dwarves have no beards, thats how you tell they are female...but of course not sure whether thats just a movie thing or whether its true to the book but I imagine it is true to the book, they do seem to have researched most stuff like aragorn's true age and Legolas's age and hair colour (they went with the most common theories on that) and so on.....so I reacon female dwarves basically look identicle to males but they dont have the beards....

and why is it impossible to think of gimli being friends with legolas without being gay..comeon, just because society now is obsessed with it doesn't mean that every pair of males that are friends are gay. Tolkien wrote the book in a time when that was much less popular, I doubt they were intended to be gay, they just come across as it now cos people now are too quick to look for it in every possible thing they can, I don't know why but its boring...really is... I stick to my theory that they are just good friends, they share a very strong bond because of the ordeals they went through such as moria and the death of boromir, helms deep, the paths of the dead, the battles of minas tirith and outside the gate of mordor, is it really all that surprising that they should choose to become friends and visit the places again while they are peaceful, they are the only ones who would be able to, aragorn cant, hobbits dont want to....

Legolas is also young for an elf...the main theory says he is 2971 years old i think it is or there abouts, other theories have him at roughly 900 years because he plays counting games with Gimli in the battles and does not seem to know much history or recognise places and older elf should do....Gimli on the other habnd is a changed Dwarf, he has seen lothlorien and become friends with elves, seen that there is more to life than gold and mithril in mountains maybe...would he really fit in back home again....
Scellanis
Hufflepuff Prefect

Location: Pretending to be a sea slug with 'go faster' stripes...

Postby Gwared » Monday 16 February 2004 11:35:35pm

Fluffy bear wrote:
Gwared wrote:Hmm, you should perhaps watch what you say somewhat in case there are gay or bi users in this forum. Please be sensitive to others :) .

Gwared are you speaking for yourself :razz: .You're right you know,somebody could get ofended with this,cause it's not disguisting,it's a way of life.Some are hetero and some are not.That's way I mentioned this(about Legolas and Gimli)Only thing why I think Legolas and Gimli may not be gay is that this was written 40 years ago? and then that was something that ppl hide.

Nope, but I have several friends who are. Including my best friend. And as they're all such great people I take offence to them being miss-labelled.
Gwared
Gryffindor Prefect, Landlord of the Three Broomsticks and Common Welsh Green Dragon Keeper

Postby Scellanis » Monday 16 February 2004 11:40:05pm

oh, i was going to say, there are supposed to be two ways to kill an elf, by steel and buy something else....I forgot....anyways, being immortal means they do not die through illness or old age. But they do die, they die in the battles...such as the Last Alliance, many elves died in that, Legolas's father and uncle i think it was fought in that and only the father returned.....elrond was part of that too

Glorfindel is beleived to have died once already....fighting with a balrog and been sent back because there is a glorfindel in the silmarillion that does die but nobody is sure if thats a mistake by Tolkien or whether it really was the same elf i think...lol

lots of elves have died, they sail to valinor (the undying land) because there they will have peace, no fighting, no dying i beleive..... I mean i havent read the sil for ages and what I say here is what I learn from forums and my sister so some stuff might be dodgy and you should check it out by reading the silmarillion or checking arda (online encyclopedia of middleearth) if you are interested...
Scellanis
Hufflepuff Prefect

Location: Pretending to be a sea slug with 'go faster' stripes...

Postby Selenia » Monday 16 February 2004 11:54:24pm

Fluffy bear wrote:

You're right you know,somebody could get ofended with this,cause it's not disguisting,it's a way of life.Some are hetero and some are not.That's way I mentioned this(about Legolas and Gimli)Only thing why I think Legolas and Gimli may not be gay is that this was written 40 years ago? and then that was something that ppl hide.

ok I didn't mean it is disgusting in a general way. I said that because Gimly and Legolas are friends, trully friends, not lovers!
Gwared. I assure you, I am not at all against gays, you just misunderstood. :)
Selenia
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Devinci » Tuesday 17 February 2004 3:59:45am

Elves can die of a broken heart...
It's all so morbidly romantic
Anyway, I think the whole point of Legolas and Gimli being so close is not a pre-gay right statement made by tolkien (although I do thing he was a prerequisit to Green peace) but a way of illustrating to reforming of the bond between elves and dwarves...you know, since it was broken in the "dark days" AKA when the balrog got nasty one everyone's hiney.

Although little gay dwarves would be kinda cute...in a....creepy....sort of way........*cough* :oops:
Next question please....
Devinci
Hugger of Trees and Saver of Whales

Postby Ginny Malfoy » Tuesday 17 February 2004 2:51:04pm

Sonkem wrote:oh, i was going to say, there are supposed to be two ways to kill an elf, by steel and buy something else....I forgot....anyways, being immortal means they do not die through illness or old age. But they do die, they die in the battles...such as the Last Alliance, many elves died in that, Legolas's father and uncle i think it was fought in that and only the father returned.....elrond was part of that too

Glorfindel is beleived to have died once already....fighting with a balrog and been sent back because there is a glorfindel in the silmarillion that does die but nobody is sure if thats a mistake by Tolkien or whether it really was the same elf i think...lol

lots of elves have died, they sail to valinor (the undying land) because there they will have peace, no fighting, no dying i beleive..... I mean i havent read the sil for ages and what I say here is what I learn from forums and my sister so some stuff might be dodgy and you should check it out by reading the silmarillion or checking arda (online encyclopedia of middleearth) if you are interested...

You really know your stuff about LOTR, Sonkem. :grin:
Ginny Malfoy
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: Reading in the Slytherin Common Room...YES, we DO know how to read! :p

Postby Selenia » Tuesday 17 February 2004 2:58:04pm

Devinci wrote:

Although little gay dwarves would be kinda cute...in a....creepy....sort of way........*cough* :oops:
Next question please....

yeah, really cute. charming... :lol: those long beards and their moves... absolutely graceful :grin: but Gimly, is really cute in a ...different way :-?
Selenia
Fully Qualified Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to The Great Hall