Harrys Unforgiveable Curse

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

Harrys Unforgiveable Curse

Postby hagrid_fang » Sunday 15 February 2004 3:36:52pm

I just remembered after recently re-reading OotP again, that Harry tried using the crucio curse against Bellatrix after sirius died.
Hatred rose in Harry such as he had never known before; he flung himself out from behind the fountain and bellowed, 'Crucio'

but he couldn't perform it properly, bellatrix said
Never used an Unforgiveable Curse before have you boy? You need to mean them Potter! - righteous anger won't hurt me for long

i don't really know where i'm going with this, but i think it must be important enough for JK to have mentioned this in her book, perhaps his magic ability is rising within him or something and just reached boiling point at this point! i don't know, i'm just throwing ideas out here!! what does anyone else think??
hagrid_fang
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Violet » Sunday 15 February 2004 6:00:33pm

I think it is simply like bellatrix said, the unforgivable curses can only be performed in a circumstance where it is completely undeserved. like when she performed it on neville or his parents.
she was just saying that harry was completely justified in wanting to hurt her... from that i suppose you could assume that she knows what she's doing is wrong because she thinks him wanting to hurt her is right.
Violet
Serpentine Princess

Postby Sacred Guardian » Sunday 15 February 2004 6:01:43pm

well, i do think that it shows a signifigant change in harry's powers, i think it does mean he is getting much stronger, because remember that "moody" said in book four that an unforgivable curse would do no more than give him a bloody nose from the fourth years, so he is getting stronger
Sacred Guardian
Hufflepuff Prefect, Hufflepuff Chaser and Hogwarts' Master of Secrets

Postby hagrid_fang » Sunday 15 February 2004 7:16:49pm

oops, i forgot about that, of course moody went through the unforgiveable curses with them didn't he. It's a significant point i think, i mean how is he gonna kill voldemort? the only killing spell that we know is Avada Kedava and that is also an unforgiveable! i'm just confusing myself i think... :???:
hagrid_fang
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Violet » Sunday 15 February 2004 8:09:35pm

oh yeah i forgot about that too, well i dont really know then...
i mean harry would be perfectly justified in killing voldermort, maybe he ends up killing him a muggle way?
Violet
Serpentine Princess

Postby Athena Appleton » Sunday 15 February 2004 8:27:38pm

Unforgiveable... hmmm... they're unforgivable if a human performs them on a human. But what if the only way to defeat the most powerful dark wizard in a century was to use an unforgiveable curse... even if Harry had a court trial about it, he'd be let off the hook in a second... By the time Harry kills Voldy, the ministry will be ready for him to be gone forever by any means.
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Violet » Sunday 15 February 2004 9:21:52pm

But the question is whether harry would be able to perform the curse, bellatrix said that righteous anger wouldn't hurt her for long. so would that be the same case with voldermort?
Violet
Serpentine Princess

Postby Athena Appleton » Monday 16 February 2004 3:27:44am

right... well, we still have two more books, and I'm sure we'll find out more about what happened the night James and Lily were killed, not to mention, Harry's getting more and more angry as the series moves along. In the aftermath of Sirius's death, yes it was righteous anger and it wasn't enough to hurt Bellatrix. But two years from now, anything can happen. Not to mention, Harry has a power (love, caring for people) that is apparently very strong magic, and something Voldy can't tolorate.
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Nobby » Monday 16 February 2004 1:51:33pm

Harry's anger is directly linked to his ever increasing magical power. Have you noticed that as the books progress harry uses more and more magic without meaning to or knowing how he done it! This is directly linked to how angry he is at the time. e.g. in OotP he sends sparks out hes wand at the Dursleys and also automatically finds the right door in the department of mysteries when chasing Bellatrix (aka evil hag). at both these times harry is angry.

So i think in the next books harry is goin to be more angry than ever therefore will be performing serious magic with ease. Unforgivable curses will be a doddle and the the ministry will let harry get away with using them against death eaters. Afterall harry potter is a special case. :P
Nobby
Hufflepuff Prefect and The Half Blood Prince

Postby hagrid_fang » Monday 16 February 2004 3:28:15pm

i don't know if this is of any relevance esp as crouch is now dead, but in GoF, i can't remember who said it, but crouch allowed the aurors to perform the unforgiveable curses to death eaters! so i can't see the ministry having a problem, if they still conform to these guidelines!
hagrid_fang
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Nobby » Monday 16 February 2004 3:52:02pm

Was crouch under the imperius curse when he gave the order? i would think that aurors will be given permission to use unforgivable curses. Afterall they are the elite
Nobby

Postby hagrid_fang » Monday 16 February 2004 4:39:46pm

no he wasn't under the imperius curse then, this is when sirius was telling harry what crouch used to be like when he was 'power hungry' and sent his son to azkaban.

Yeah i agree tho' the aurors are like the elite force, i think they should be able to get away with using the unforgiveables but would harry tho'? i know he would like to be an auror but he isn't yet? hmmm another red herring do ya think?? :-?
hagrid_fang
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Nobby » Monday 16 February 2004 5:36:20pm

Yeah Harry's totally the red herring. Remember what Ron says in PoA. When Fudge doesn't punish harry for using magic he says 'its because its you. the famous harry potter'. Why shouldn't this continue. Obviously DD will also be givin harry some slack. he'll probably lean on fudge to do the same. when do u reckon harry will use the curses properly if he infact does. :eek:
Nobby

Postby Sacred Guardian » Monday 16 February 2004 5:42:58pm

right, but voldemort can't be destroyed with avanda kedavra, remember, that is what backfired on him, and what hagrid said "i doubt he had enough human left in him to die" i think at this point it might make him stronger, harry has to kill him with the power of love in some way
Sacred Guardian
Hufflepuff Prefect, Hufflepuff Chaser and Hogwarts' Master of Secrets

Postby Nobby » Monday 16 February 2004 5:55:58pm

Is there a way to make voldie more human? then he probably will be able to be killed in a more conventional way. DIE VOLDIE DIE :evil:
Nobby

Next

Return to Theories