three death eaters at hogwarts

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

three death eaters at hogwarts

Postby Athena Appleton » Thursday 29 January 2004 6:52:06pm

I'm sure I'm probably just missing it, but has this been discussed? Who are the three death eaters at hogwarts that voldywart mentions in book 4? Do they necessarily mean who we think they mean?

The faithful one who returned: Naturally we assume that this is the Imposter Moody (Crouch, Jr). However, we never really know if he was an original Death Eater, so, assuming he wasn't, why would voldywart say he's a faithful death eater who's returned to his service? Karkaroff was definately not faithful, so we throw him out. If Snape is a good spy (voldywart doesn't know he's a double agent yet), then Snape would be the faithful DE already back in voldywart's good graces (think like Voldy, not like a member of the Order).

The one we believe has left and must be killed: We assume upon first reading that this is Snape. But if Snape is the faithful one, who is this one?

The coward: Karkaroff. Almost sure of it.

NOW... Assuming Voldy doesn't know that Snape's a double agent, and therefore the faithful one, and Karkaroff is the coward, where does that put Crouch? And if we take this route, then that means there's someone else at Hogwarts. :eek:

My brain's tired...
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby hagrid_fang » Friday 30 January 2004 4:18:23am

i tell you what always got me. It was in book one when Snape threatened Quirrell in the hall and told him to decide which side he is on. Voldie was of course on the back of quirrells head at the time. do you think he knows snape has left him and is now working for Dumbledore? Confused!! :???:
hagrid_fang
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Athena Appleton » Friday 30 January 2004 4:38:22am

oooooooo.... oooo dang! never thought of that! :eek:
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Phaerie » Friday 30 January 2004 9:27:17am

Barty Crouch junior was definately a death eater before- he was arrested for attacking the longbottoms. When his father took him from Azkaban, he was kept under the imperious curse. He knew how to create the dark mark. Voldemort came to find him with wormtail. (we find this out when the use the veritaserum) and they planned all the events leading to voldemorts "rebirthing ceremony"

If Crouch Junior isn't a death eater than what. And of the 3 death eaters at hogwarts he appears to have been the most faithful. hr delivered harry potter to his master. I don't think he is really the one who has left voldemort forever, and not a coward, hence he must be the most faithful.

This then leads to distributing, one who has left forever and coward. Seeing as Karkaroff has fled, it would sem likely he is the coward.

Making Snape the one who has left forever. after all there are several places where other death eaters have seen snapes allegiance to dumbledore, after all snape was cleared of being a death eater, others must have heard about the trial and the reason why he was cleared.

I know that this is the "obvious" thing, but i can't really find any other way to put it unless there is a 4th DE at Hogwarts. In any case JK can't put a twist in anything. She may have simply done it to emphasise the danger snape will put himself in over the next few years wroking for the Order. After all if this is right he is a marked man.
Phaerie
Princess of Rainbows, Moonlight Dreamer and Gryffindor Prefect

Location: Doing double backs on a trampoline and scaring her spotters!

Postby Athena Appleton » Friday 30 January 2004 3:30:44pm

I think the only thing that made me question if Crouch-Moody was a death eater was the techncality of the term: torturing the Longbottoms was his first offense, he apparently didn't have the dark mark, and he swears that it wasn't him. There's been some speculation that he might have been put in Azkaban unjustly, and once there and angry with his father (a huge enemy of the Death Eaters) he may have turned to the dark side in Azkaban. We do know that Crouch, Sr never had a problem punishing people even just accused of being Death Eaters, and that he would have been especially hard on his own son for even being in the company of Death Eaters. So, technically, Crouch-Moody might not be a former "Death Eater", so there could be a fourth one at Hogwarts.

Probly not, though.... just gives me something to obsess over until the series is over. :D
Athena Appleton

Postby Ferrus » Friday 30 January 2004 8:40:05pm

-Moody was a death eater was the techncality of the term: torturing the Longbottoms was his first offense, he apparently didn't have the dark mark

well, we dont know he had the dork mark, but I find it strange that he could conjure de dark Mark at the quidditch final, if he wasnt a DE til after being accused...
Ferrus
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Athena Appleton » Friday 30 January 2004 9:38:58pm

somethin to wonder about: can azkaban prisoners communicate with each other?
Athena Appleton

Postby Ferrus » Saturday 31 January 2004 12:42:09pm

Well, there isnt an reason why they shouldnt be able to communicate, exept of course the fact that there are dementors all over the place so that prisoners arent really in any shape to talk to each other....
Ferrus
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Mistress Siana » Saturday 31 January 2004 12:43:30pm

I definitly think LV knows about Snape having changed sides-granted that he really did of course! He wouldn't be that dangerous if he were that stupid!!

I think there are only two possible reasons wha LV didn't give the traitors' names away:
1) JKR wants us to assume something that isn't true
2) Voldie fears there might be another traitor in his rows
Mistress Siana
Slytherin Chaser and Devil's advocate

Postby Athena Appleton » Saturday 31 January 2004 5:01:30pm

I tend to lean more towards your first option... that's why i'm having fun obsessing over it! :-)
Athena Appleton

Postby Mistress Siana » Sunday 1 February 2004 4:52:10pm

the 2 options don't exclude each other!
I'm kinda obsessed with that question as well! So if the what we assume about who the coward and the one lost forever aren't true, who else could it be then?
Mistress Siana

Postby Athena Appleton » Sunday 1 February 2004 7:25:50pm

there's one staff member we know almost nothing about, except that the name means something not-so-good... Does "Sinestra" sound like "Sinister" to anyone else?
Athena Appleton

Postby Jotomicron » Monday 2 February 2004 7:32:04pm

As far as I know, Sinistra is the Latin word for Sinister. But could she be a DE? I mean... we don't really hear about her very much, and there have been no mention to Harry and his gang going to Astronomy classes: when I read about the Astronomy OWL, I becama a little astonished because I dind't really know that they were having those classes.
Jotomicron
Producer of Happiness and Mysterious Metamorphmagus

Postby Athena Appleton » Monday 2 February 2004 7:58:10pm

I think it's mentioned in other books that they take astronomy, but that's about it...

I don't see Rowling putting in a name like "Sinistra" (or Sinister) without there being some meaning there... unless she just wants to play with our minds and torture us.
Athena Appleton

Postby Mistress Siana » Tuesday 3 February 2004 12:54:10pm

Sorry for my last post...gees, what did I write there??

I don't remember where it was, not even if it was in a book or just in a movie, but she had a conversation with Snape. Not that important maybe...but hey, who knows?
What about Professor Vector? Do we know anything about her?
Mistress Siana

Next

Return to Theories