10 Questions JKR Will Need to Deal With (Possible Spoilers)

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

Postby Mint » Monday 18 August 2003 8:47:33pm

Yeah, I was wondering about his exams too. Remember how to become an auror u suppose to have top marks on all of the exams? Well he totally blew the last one (i mean he didn't even finish it and didn't answer any of the questions right) and also, there was exam with planets and such - well, he really wasn't paying attention to that either....

So the only way he may become an auror is if he will get a special treatment.

What did James become??

About Snape - may be DD just thinks that Snape has no chance of going back to Voldie without getting killed thats all. LIke you know how he wants to have Giants on his side? Well, its not because they are trustworthy creatures, but because he wanted to sort of ....er..."buy them" at first?
Mint
Slytherin Prefect, Hogwarts Librarian and Milady of the Night

Location: Chasing evil duck commander Choki >:( on a chocobo!!!

Postby highsorcerer » Friday 22 August 2003 3:30:54pm

Charms, transfiguration, potions, DADA, and probably herbology. Plus magical creatures.
highsorcerer
Department of Mysteries Unspeakable and Registered Animagus (Parrot)

Postby Diamond Angel » Sunday 24 August 2003 8:38:34am

I'm just going to speculate on this by pretending no one else has said anything (it'll be easier this way; don't ask, I'm just strange), so some things are going to be obvious because others have already said them ...

1. I'm thinking that maybe those who become ghosts are the ones who aren't ... ready for death. Sirius, for example, knew what he was chancing when he joined the order, and was ready. Moaning Myrtle (who had simply opened her stall door intending to tell Tom Riddle off for being in the girl's bathroom) and Nearly Headless Nick (who had been beheaded, though for reasons unknown to us, I'm guessing he had done some sort of crime) are examples of those who weren't ready.

2. One of the reasons I always believed Dumbledore never made Snape the DADA professor is because he'd be hard put to find a better Potions master. See, even though the DADA post has not had very good teachers (with the exception of Remus Lupin and Barty Crouch (I know he's mad, but he did teach them a lot)), lots of people know Defence because of Voldemort's reign, but I doubt many know Potions as well as Snape could because it can be very, very, very difficult, and Defence is just - easier - I guess. For example: Harry can do a Patronus Charm, yet his potions marks still aren't their best, and even in his OWLs without Snape, he felt that "he might not have achieved a good grade". Another thing is Neville, who is hopeless at Potions but very good at Defence, you know, with the DA and everything ...

3. I see this as a repeat of PoA, when everyone was worried about Sirius trying to kill Harry. Most likely, Dementors won't be guarding Hogwarts because Dumbledore hates them, especially since they tried to Kiss Harry, and besides, they're on Voldemort's side. But I do believe various members of the Order (how about Kingsley Shacklebolt? Now that Sirius is gone ...) will keep watch over him anywhere he goes, but in secret. Why in secret? Because Harry will yell at them, of course. Something along the lines of, "I CAN TAKE CARE OF MYSELF!". ^_^ j/k But I'm telling you, Harry is scary sometimes ...

4. The Dursleys will be nicer to Harry. There's no other way. Since the threat by the Order members, Petunia would freak that they might come marching up the garden path, as Harry speculated in OotP, and Vernon has to listen to Petunia. Dudley would just steer clear of Harry.

5. Harry is definitely darker, and will grow to be darker in the next books. However, I don't believe that Harry would become as evil as Voldemort. He might just possibly learn a few Dark Arts spells, but probably won't use them on anyone but Voldemort. Does anyone but me think that Expelliarmus will become very useful, since Harry's and Voldemort's wands can't fight against each other?

6. I was wondering that, and I was also wondering why Sirius didn't ask Harry to use the mirror when they were fire-talking. Maybe Harry thought that if he just touched it or something, it would tell Sirius he was in trouble, because he never actually opened it before Sirius had died. Or maybe he just forgot about it. Lots of things happened between the time at Christmas when he first got the mirror and when he wanted to talk to Sirius.

7. Nope, nope, and definitely not. I believe it was near the end of Ootp: "no matter what Dumbledore said, he would never forgive Snape, ever." There is the slightest possibility that he might go against his words, but I'm supposing that his hate for Snape goes down far too deep for forgiveness, at least until Harry gets over Sirius, which I personally think will take a really long time.

8. There's the Trio and Draco (Gryffindor and Slytherin), but that's about it. None of Ravenclaw, Gryffindor, or Hufflepuff hate each other, and given the chance, they could become friends. Indeed, some of them already are. Ginny and Michael Corner went out, then Cho likes Harry, despite their fights. Then there's the DA, which already did bring all of the houses except Slytherin together. I suppose that Slytherin's a hopeless case, but maybe in the next two books some of them will be nice or something ...

(don't know how to answer question 9, and it's getting really late where I am ... :D)

10. I think that Harry does think his father was an idiot, as he said, but after his chat with Remus and Sirius, he realises that they're telling the truth. He also grinned when Ron reminded him of James, which means that he's finding it funny, how arrogant his father was. Or maybe it's just me. As for James and Lily, I do hope we hear more about them, and maybe the rest of the Marauders, as well. It'd be interesting to see if Harry turns to Remus, because he's the closest connection to James now that Sirius isn't there. Of course, I've always been a fan of the MWPP (Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs) world ...
Diamond Angel
Second Year

Location: Room 7, Angel Mansion (right next to Malfoy Manor! ^_~) Status: Marauders Member, 2nd Generation

My Thoughts

Postby Ginny Malfoy » Tuesday 30 December 2003 2:49:34pm

1. It seems to me that Nick explained this as those who become ghosts are the same that resist death and are afraid to move on. They aren't happy people and choose this "feeble imitation of life" than to move on. No doubt Sirius was unhappy to die, but as Nick pointed out, he wouldn't have been afraid to move on...it's what he would have done. Whereas Nick admitted that he chose not to move to the next plane in hopes of still being "alive" in some sense, Myrtle seemed to enjoy haunting Olive Hornby and "paying people back" for being so horrid to her...in neither case is their acceptance of death nor happiness on the part of the person. Just my speculation!

2. Maybe it's because Dumbledore doesn't want to give Voldemort or his followers any inkling that Snape has switched sides...defense against the dark arts to me implies defending oneself against the very curses and spells Voldemort and his Death Eaters use...I associate the class (when properly taught!) as the "good side" learning to defend themselves, and Snape leading that doesn't give off the vibe that he isn't a part of the Order. Did that make any sense? I see Trelawney the same way...Dumbledore himself admitted she has no real gifts in the area (except for a spare prophecy here or there), but someone like her (knowing the prophecy) in the wrong hands could prove fatal...what better way to protect her (and her information!) and watch her than to have her right under his nose at Hogwarts?

3. I don't see how Harry could go anywhere besides Privet Drive without a bodyguard...it would seem now Voldemort and any of his loyal Death Eaters (particularly Bellatrix) would want to get him. Course Voldemort still doesn't know what the prophecy says. I don't know for sure about the bodyguard, but I would imagine Harry will definitely need to study Occlumency much harder, and that means many more fun passages with Snape in the book!!

4. I still think Dudley and Vernon will despise Harry, but they'll be wary of him, considering what the Order said to them at the end of book 5. I think the only Dursley whose relationship may change with Harry is Aunt Petunia. I'd like to see Harry ask her questions and see if she'll answer them...obviously, she knows more than she's telling, but what does she know? Is she a squib? Are her parents squibs or wizards pretending to be muggles? Am I asking more questions than giving answers?

5. I think book 6's Harry will feel as there's always a shadow hanging over his head and feel very guilty for past events...wouldn't you feel that way if you knew you had to kill or be killed and that you might have stopped tragic things from happening had you not been so obstinate and impulsive?

6. Like I said above, I can't see how Harry won't dwell on all the things that led up to that tragedy (and the potential tragedy that could have been any of his friends dying at the M.O.M.)...hopefully, his good friends will be by his side to see him through, and he shouldn't be slandered anymore...although, Rita will start writing again (one year has passed) and of course, Draco's out to get revenge on Harry...

7. At the end of book 5, Harry REALLY hated Snape...I wasn't sure why, as Snape had helped him out, but perhaps he felt Snape wasn't sorry Sirius was dead, or perhaps he felt angry that Snape was alive while Sirius was not...I know he resents Snape for his taunts to Sirius about not fighting with the Order. Perhaps when Harry starts reflecting on his own part in Sirius's death, he'll forge a civil relationship with Snape...perhaps Snape will see in Harry's mind about how Harry is feeling about it all and that'll help the healing process...if nothing else, Occlumency will be very hard for Harry in book 6, as he'll be feeling so much...

8. Perhaps the person switching houses (as I read in some thread on here) will be what helps the houses to come together. Like my theory about Hagrid starting school again, perhaps Hagrid will not be sorted into Gryffiindor again but into another house instead? I still think (if this switching houses theory is true) Harry may be the one to switch over to Slytherin...

9. I don't think we've heard the last of Umbridge, but I think Dumbledore will be spending more time away from Hogwarts cleaning up Fudge's mess. Harry will have to find new people to rely on, and he may feel (or be!) less safe at Hogwarts. I'd like to see Arthur Weasley as M.O.M.!

10. I think knowing about James will continue to be hard on Harry...although, with Sirius's death, maybe he won't feel as harsh towards his Dad. Then again, until Harry finds out what caused his Dad to go from being like Draco to being Head Boy and dating Lily, I think we'll see Harry striving not to be like the person he thinks his Dad is...but more than that, I hope he has questions for Snape!!

WOW! That was a lot to write, and some wrote more than me...I think I'll stick to shorter posts...and keep reading on BaO.
Ginny Malfoy
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: Reading in the Slytherin Common Room...YES, we DO know how to read! :p

Postby Mistress Siana » Friday 2 January 2004 3:53:21am

2)
My reasoning for DD's relectance to let Snape have the DADA kob is that he knows Harry needs to learn DADA and with Snape as teacher the hate between them could affect his studies and Harry would now be dead!

but DD rejected Snape for that position long before Harry started attending Hogwarts. JKR said in an interview-although she didn't want to give away too much-that DD feared teaching DADA might "bring out the worst in Snape." When Hagrid explained Harry what happens to a wizard that joins the dark side, he said the dark arts would start to consume you and draw you in further and further "until nothing and noone matters to you anymore." So it is like a kind of addiction, and you have to be carefull not to fall back into dark arts again. I'm dying to know what makes DD trust Snape in the first place.
Mistress Siana
Slytherin Chaser and Devil's advocate

Postby Athena Appleton » Wednesday 28 January 2004 6:41:04am

I think the reason DD keeps denying Snape the job of the DADA teacher is similar to keeping alcohol away from a recovering alcoholic... Snape needs to keep himself away from ANYTHING in the Dark Arts, because the temptation could always be there...
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Mistress Siana » Thursday 29 January 2004 2:44:33pm

That's the same as I think. But wouldn't that mean there he wouldn't be able to work for the order, especially go back as a spy
Mistress Siana
Slytherin Chaser and Devil's advocate

Postby Athena Appleton » Thursday 29 January 2004 5:14:08pm

Nah, it could be that he's repulsed by Voldywart, so he's got the strength to keep from going over to the dark side, but there could be more temptation in dabbling in the Dark Arts. ("One little Imperius Curse wouldn't hurt....") Besides, how could Dumbledore pass up an opportunity to have a spy right in league with Voldywart?
Athena Appleton
Hogwarts Librarian, Headmistress of the Little Wizards Academy and Kisser of Boo-boos

Postby Athena Appleton » Thursday 29 January 2004 5:15:17pm

Nah, it could be that he's repulsed by Voldywart, so he's got the strength to keep from going over to the dark side, but there could be more temptation in dabbling in the Dark Arts. ("One little Imperius Curse wouldn't hurt....") Besides, how could Dumbledore pass up an opportunity to have a spy right in league with Voldywart?
Athena Appleton

Postby Emma'I'm a real witch' » Wednesday 18 February 2004 10:05:29pm

8. Don't forget in OoTP 'The Sorting Hat's New Song' says that there had never been such great friends as Griffindor and Slytherin. So maybe something in the future will bring the two houses that seem the least likely to be friends together again.
Just a though but I can't imagine JKR would have said about them being such good friends unless she was going to refer to it again.
Emma'I'm a real witch'
Seventh Year

Postby Ferrus » Thursday 19 February 2004 9:17:26pm

Griffindor and Slytherin will have to get together EVENTUALLY, to beat voldie and such, but I can`t seeing that happening while Draco is still in school... :grin:
Ferrus
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Lupus » Saturday 13 March 2004 6:51:38pm

1)
I thought that the part about becoming a ghost was particularly interesting. At the time of death there is probably something happening like people that experienced near-death explain. Light comming towards you, or whatever, so maybe something similar happens to wizards. Those that are ready can move to the light, and those that are not become ghosts. I don't think that they have choice. I feel that Sirus was at peace when he died. He met and made friends with Harry Potter. He was miserable locked in his old house, alone and unable to help the Order, he felt useless. Snape, of course, helped here by putting Sirus down whenever he could. When Sirus was dueling, he was truly happy. Finally, he was able to do something to help. He felt like he was saving his godson, and he died doing just that. Sirus was not the type of the man to leave something unfinished. He could never be a ghost- just being around, unable to do anything. He was a man of action, very impulsive and courageous. Life as ghost could never satisfy him!
Lupus
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Lupus » Sunday 14 March 2004 10:50:54am

2. Maybe it's because Dumbledore doesn't want to give Voldemort or his followers any inkling that Snape has switched sides...defense against the dark arts to me implies defending oneself against the very curses and spells Voldemort and his Death Eaters use...I associate the class (when properly taught!) as the "good side" learning to defend themselves, and Snape leading that doesn't give off the vibe that he isn't a part of the Order. Did that make any sense? I see Trelawney the same way...Dumbledore himself admitted she has no real gifts in the area (except for a spare prophecy here or there), but someone like her (knowing the prophecy) in the wrong hands could prove fatal...what better way to protect her (and her information!) and watch her than to have her right under his nose at Hogwarts?

This seems to be most acceptable theory to me, as I believe that Snape is going to go back to Voldemort as DDs spy. This way DD gives a message that he really doesn't trust Snape with Dark Arts. Now, why is Snape so interested in teaching this subject? Judging from his behavior towards past teachers, he thinks that he is much better choice for DADA teacher, but why? He is obviously very good as potions master, we’ve heard DD say so on many occasions, maybe DD thinks that Snape should just stick to what he’s best at- potions, and can one teacher teach more that one subject per term? There are seven years at Hogwarts, and all of them require potions subject, unless I’m mistaken? Could Snape have so many classes to teach?
Lupus
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby ReDDragoN » Sunday 21 March 2004 3:50:04pm

About question 2.
Lets summarize all we have:
1) Dambledore don’t trust Snape and warred about the side Snape will prefer.
2) Damledore don’t want other DE to suspect Snape’s real loyalty.
3) Snape is the best Potions Teacher and there is no chance to find any substitute.
4) Dambledore thought that Snape’s lessons would be so terrible for Harry that he will hate this subject.
I hope I’ve remembered all.
Contradictions.
1) Dambledore do trust Snape. He ask him to be a spy but warred about changing of his ideology on DADA lessons? Nonsense.
2) It’s good, yes, and he can explain his position to Snape clearly, but why in this case Spape try to get this post again and again every year? Fearless Snape? I don’t think so.
3) I think it is simpler to find new Potions Teacher the new DADA Teacher. DADA is one of the most necessary subject so may be it’s better to have not so good Potions Teacher but acceptable DADA Teacher(Snape I think will be incommensurably better teacher then Umbrige, Lokhart and Quirrell)
4) I think previous teachers’ve done all to made Harry hate DADA. So, it’s not seems to be truth too.

My suggestion…
I haven’t got one. :-(
ReDDragoN
Squib

Postby Dumbledores Master » Saturday 17 April 2004 6:27:17pm

I believe I have a post up somewhere in the great hall that could take care of Q1 it is under he isnt coming back
Dumbledores Master
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: Floating around here somewhere not sure where though, maybe here maybe there or maybe nowhere

Previous

Return to Theories