Lord of the Rings discussion

Meet everyone here in The Great Hall for general discussions. Here you'll find a friendly place to talk about all things under the magnificent magical ceiling...even stuff not connected with Harry Potter!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, DucksRMagical, Broccoli, Run Away!!!, Phoenix in the Ashes

Postby gecko » Wednesday 5 November 2003 5:28:33pm

The Silmarillion. a superb book imho!

Well, Illuvatar is Eru, the one. He created all, through his Music of the Ainur.
The Ainur are like the primordial spirits who existed with Eru (they were offspring of his thought), and created the beforesaid music with him.
The 15 (14 if one doesn´t count Melkor) most powerful Ainur are called the Valar. They entered the world, while others stayed with Illuvatar. The less powerful Ainur who also entered the world are called Maiar.

Hope that helps.. :P don´t forget to use the encyclopedia of Arda!
gecko
Supreme Mugwump, Walker of Walls and Receiver of Won's Smooches

Postby pinky p » Wednesday 5 November 2003 11:08:41pm

i believe the valar were the first inhabitants of middle earth... ish? i know that originally there were the maia... ish? elves were created by illuvatar (?) and dwarves were created by one of the maia who liked to hide in a mountain by himself. i don't think i read any farther then that... :o
pinky p
Supreme Pie-Eater, Registered Animagus (Platypus) and Princess of All Pink Grapefruit

Location: either swimming, sleeping, eating, or doing schoolwork... my life these days

Postby Mint » Thursday 6 November 2003 2:43:59pm

How come the king of ...er...golden kingdom? or kingdom with golden walls.... He calles the girl that in the movie is his daugther - he calles her sister-daughter???

And it seems to me that the movie is very different then the book ...the fight at Helms Deep was not described in that much detail...and why did Aragon started talking to oaks? And Ents were not part of the battle in the movie. (they just went to Eisengog(sp?))

And the king was not possessed by Sauroman
Mint
Slytherin Prefect, Hogwarts Librarian and Milady of the Night

Location: Chasing evil duck commander Choki >:( on a chocobo!!!

Postby pinky p » Friday 7 November 2003 3:26:27am

i think the movies stick to the books pretty well, they just leave out a lot because they couldn't have each movie be eight hours long, could they now? :o
pinky p
Supreme Pie-Eater, Registered Animagus (Platypus) and Princess of All Pink Grapefruit

Location: either swimming, sleeping, eating, or doing schoolwork... my life these days

Postby Scellanis » Friday 7 November 2003 11:14:20am

*cough*

*dies of shock*

shall i give you a list of counter examples to disprove your statement.....it might take me a long time to go through them and i dont want to spoil it for anyone who hasnt read the books......but...uh...no...as a movie of the book its a dreadful adaption, i HATE it with a passion, it took months for me to see that the way to enjoy the TTT movie was as a movie in its own right and not as a movie based on the book....

i mean, i cant not watch or buy the last 2 movies now that i have seen and brought the extended version of FotR cos its a trilology.....
Scellanis
Hufflepuff Prefect

Location: Pretending to be a sea slug with 'go faster' stripes...

Postby Mint » Friday 7 November 2003 5:59:16pm

Yeah, thats what I realized when I was reading the book (I watched the movie first). They added lots of things to the movie er...out of thin air. :grin: All I can say is the guy who wrote the script for the movie had lots of fun.

I still Looove that movie - but I do not compare it to the book. Its like they took the main idea and played with it. U have to separate them.

Sonkem - I never saw extended versions (i know the one for TT is comming up and Im definitely getting that) But what about the first movie?
Did it make much difference?
Mint

Postby Scellanis » Friday 7 November 2003 6:45:32pm

yeah, they put in the 'concerning hobbits' chapter which is really good at the start, explains a bit more about hobbits and theres more to the rivendell bit too, and some good stuff between legolas and gimli which is quite funny and of course there is the lembas advert and the giving of the gifts in lothlorien only she gives out the wrong gifts, i cant remember..oh yes i can, sam doesnt get his box of soil and malorn tree seed for repearing the shire at the end of the book so that suggests major missing out of important stuff will happen in rotk
Scellanis
Hufflepuff Prefect

Location: Pretending to be a sea slug with 'go faster' stripes...

Postby Mint » Wednesday 12 November 2003 7:44:33pm

question question!!!

Before Gandalf took Pepin (sp?) to the er...not king but eh Boromir's father, there was 7 stones, 7 stars? and a dead tree.

I dont know if Im not suppose to understand it at this point, or I just missed some fine detail while listening to the tape, but ....what was that tree? How did it get there?
Mint

Postby gecko » Wednesday 12 November 2003 9:35:11pm

Well, I think the story of that tree is explained in the Silmarillion, but I'm not sure anymore if it is explained in LOTR.

Uhm well the tree in Minas Tirith (I think that's the one you're talking about) is a descendend of the tree Nimloth that grew in Numénor, which in turn was a descendend of the Celeborn, that stood on Tol Eressëa, and that was in turn a descendend of Galathilion, a tree that stood in Tirion.
That tree was an image of Telperion, the white tree, that shed light on Arda in the years of trees (when they were destroyed the first age began).

What a story eh! Got that all from the encyclopedia! But uhm yeah that tree in Minas Tirith is, remotely I give you that :), a gift of the Valar.
And that tree will play some more part in the story.!

Have I answered your question.. I think not but okay :P!
gecko
Supreme Mugwump, Walker of Walls and Receiver of Won's Smooches

Postby Mint » Wednesday 12 November 2003 9:44:27pm

I think u did answer my question. I guess for now Im suppose to just know that its a decendent of some great old tree.

And I will probalby find out more about it later on in the book...
Mint

Postby Won Wheezy » Wednesday 31 December 2003 12:54:02pm

I have to admit that the first movie was really well done, although they left out a lot. But the second one was getting extremely ridiculous and I thought it couldn´t get worse. I was wrong! The third movie, I saw it only a couple of days ago, made me swear that I will never ever watch a Hollywood Blockbuster in cinema again! Me and my boyfriend were cringing at the stupidity of the dialogs and the amazingly ridiculous fighting scenes.
They have to overdo everything! J.R.R. Tolkien would beat the director to death with a wet towel - if he could. :-?
Won Wheezy
Blower of Kisses, Tickler of Toes and gecko-smoocher

Postby Ginny Malfoy » Wednesday 31 December 2003 1:31:40pm

I may be in the minority, but I enjoyed the movies. I liked parts of the first and third movies, and I enjoyed all of the second. I realize they changed things from the books.

However, I've accepted that movies offer an interpretation of books...they rarely (if ever) are as good as the book, and they won't be exactly the same as the books (I can see why...in most adaptations, you have to pick and choose what you show and tweak things a little to make what you've got make sense).

What annoys me is when they change details for no real purpose, like making Faramir totally different from I hear he was in the books or nearly making the Shelob outcome different.
Ginny Malfoy
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: Reading in the Slytherin Common Room...YES, we DO know how to read! :p

Postby Blaise Zabini » Wednesday 31 December 2003 11:06:26pm

I saw ROTK the day before it came out (for Trilogy Tuesday, which was really fun,) and absolutely loved it. I'm a really big Tolkien geek (the kind who's read LOTR and the Silmarillion at least once a year for as long as she can remember,) and I still thought that Jackson did a fantastic job with the movies. I was wary of anyone doing a film version, but as a whole, I think that they were done wonderfully. Any and all expectation that I had were definitely met (and sometimes even surpassed!) While no movie could ever come close to to the beauty of Tolkien's books, I think that these films were done in as close a way as possible.

Ginny, have you seen the Extended Edition of The Two Towers? It helps to explain wh ythey made the changes to Faramir's character, and helped to clear up some of the complaints I had with that.
Blaise Zabini
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Iluvatar » Wednesday 7 January 2004 1:42:45pm

I rather liked ROTK. I went to see it with a couple of friends the day it came out. Sure there were a couple of differences from the book but hey there is no such thing as a movie that is a completely true to the book. Besides I found it somewhat amusing when Denethor jumps off that precipice. And I just LOVE that outcropping that juts out from the courtyard in Minas Tirith. My two cents.

Iluvatar Allmighty Ruler of Ea
Iluvatar
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Devinci » Wednesday 7 January 2004 10:39:37pm

Denethor was great, on fire even. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I thought his great leap near the end was great too.

I really liked Billy Boyd's song, it was impressive. I wonder if I said that already...*shrug*

*is still bitter about the absence of faramir and eowyn's love*
Devinci
Hugger of Trees and Saver of Whales

PreviousNext

Return to The Great Hall