AN IMPORTANT QUESTION ABOUT THE PROPHECY

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

Postby FiReBoLt » Thursday 17 July 2003 1:32:06am

Dumbledore already said ' what he thought he needed to know', and if i'm correct, he says he should have told him the truth.
FiReBoLt
Squib

About the Prophecy

Postby hagrid_fang » Friday 19 September 2003 11:43:40am

Hi Albus, here's an answer to your question for you.
Voldie never expected Harry to escape from him i Book 4 claiming that Harry's blood has made him more powerful than ever. That may be so but think back to the priori incatatem scene where harry made voldies wand regurgitate all it's previous spells. That's number one, Harry is more powerful than Voldemort.

When Dumbledore told harry the prophecy, remember Voldie never heard it in it's entirty so he doesn't know this,
The Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not

This is the power of love. Going back to the priori incatatem scene again remember the phoenix song? Fills the hearts of love with hope and fills the heart of hate with Fear.
This is Harry's key to beating Voldie. After all both cores come from Fawkes, Dumbledore's phoenix.
June wrote:
Do remember that Voldemort had only heard part of the prophecy before... he didn't know the rest of the prophecy, and probably could have imagined that there's something in the prophecy that can tell him what he had to do to kill Harry. he tried 3 times before and couldn't kill Harry, so he must have thought that there had to be a specific way he could accomplish this and it's stated in the prophecy. That would explain why he wanted the prophecy so much...

remember part of the prophecy said that the one with the power to defeat the Dark Lord will be born to those who have thrice defied him. If he's tried to kill harry three times before does anyone else think that this is of any significance?!
hagrid_fang
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Centaur Lord » Saturday 20 September 2003 12:59:46am

Just as a side not...
hagrid_fang, you said that the priori incantatem scene shows that Harry is more powerful than Voldemort. This isnt necessarily true. That rare occasion only happened because Harry's and Voldemort's wands share cores. They both have a phoenix feather from Fawkes, and that is why that happend. Dumbledore says something like "If a wand meets his brother than they will not work properly against each other. If they are forced to duel, one wand will force the other to regurgitate the spells in reverse order." I know that Harry is the one that forces Voldemort's wand to regurgitate spells, but maybe this is because Voldemort doesnt understand what the beads of light would have done. It keeps talking about how surprised and confused he is, so i wouldnt be surprised if he didnt know what to do. Im not disproving your theory that Harry is more powerful than Voldemort, im just saying that if it is true, this scene is not the one that shows it.
Centaur Lord
Seventh Year

Postby menotyoo » Tuesday 30 September 2003 10:52:09pm

Here's what I think:
Sirius correctly refers to the prophecy as a weapon for and against Lv
The OoP can keep it from him yet if he learns what it says, he knows he can't be stopped.
If only Harry can defeat LV and LV Harry, then what is stopping LV from roaming through London killing everyone and gaining followers knowing they can't stop him?
menotyoo
Sixth Year

Location: Durvish and Banges, Knockturn Alley, London, England, Europe, Earth

Postby Jotomicron » Wednesday 1 October 2003 12:51:49pm

menotyoo wrote:Here's what I think:
Sirius correctly refers to the prophecy as a weapon for and against Lv
The OoP can keep it from him yet if he learns what it says, he knows he can't be stopped.
If only Harry can defeat LV and LV Harry, then what is stopping LV from roaming through London killing everyone and gaining followers knowing they can't stop him?

Indeed... That's a good point! Although it can't be an 'action' weapon for the OotP, it's their duty to keep it! But now the prophecy is broken... I think there is no problem at all... Voldie willnever know what was on thet shelve (Unless some DE had listened to what the ghostly character sad, but I doubt it: they were all very busy and none seem to have realised the prophecy was gone)
Jotomicron
Producer of Happiness and Mysterious Metamorphmagus

Postby Mint » Wednesday 1 October 2003 6:56:59pm

But they can stop him! Delay him that is - untill the Moment of Harry's battle will come.

Plus, the Order of Phoenix, with exception of DD, doesn't know what the prophecy says.

So DD is trying to minimize the damage from Vold. untill the prophecy fully comes true.
Mint
Slytherin Prefect, Hogwarts Librarian and Milady of the Night

Location: Chasing evil duck commander Choki >:( on a chocobo!!!

Postby menotyoo » Thursday 2 October 2003 12:59:23am

Mint wrote:But they can stop him! Delay him that is - untill the Moment of Harry's battle will come.

Plus, the Order of Phoenix, with exception of DD, doesn't know what the prophecy says.

True, they could delay him...but... Then there is the fact that no one knowing that they don't stand a chance against LV is very dangerous, why risk your life to kill him if you can't?
But good point Mint! :-)
menotyoo
Sixth Year

Location: Durvish and Banges, Knockturn Alley, London, England, Europe, Earth

Postby Centaur Lord » Thursday 2 October 2003 1:46:02am

Excellent ideas everyone! Theres this little "problem" with the prophecy that i havent quite figured out yet. I cant decide if the rest of the Order knew what the prophecy said. I think they might have known, because they knew that they couldnt tell Harry, because than LV would find out what it said through his mind. However, Dumbledore could have also just told them not to tell him about a prophecy that is important. I mean, i dont know if i would have told anyone if i was Dumbledore. The sheer impact of what it means is huge.
Centaur Lord
Seventh Year

Postby darkcloak » Thursday 2 October 2003 2:07:23pm

I'm guessing that Harry therefore needs to learn Occulmency quickly then, otherwise LV may be able to read Harry's mind and know all about the prophecy :-?
darkcloak
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Mint » Thursday 2 October 2003 8:01:59pm

Im pretty sure noone knows.....There are so many ways to torture the info out of person. Im pretty sure 2 people know about it DD and Harry.

Why risk someone to be killed?
This is what I think :D :

1)R u sure prophecies are full proff?
2)If Voldie kills Harry......then what? May be another prophecy will come to life...LOL no seriously. DO u think if Harry kills off Voldie he will be live forever? U know? Harry still will die some way, like Old Age will kill him..... :razz:
3) Even if they would know that they can't kill him. ANd they do know that none of them by themselves can kill Voldie - they will die trying.
4) None of them fought face -to -face with Voldie, they only fight with Death Eaters.

So here is the conclusion: Harry must stop Voldie, OOP must stop DeathEaters.

And yes darkcloak, he totally should learn Occulmancy. I just hope they will find a new teacher for him. Snape +Harry doesn't seem to work... :-?
Mint
Slytherin Prefect, Hogwarts Librarian and Milady of the Night

Location: Chasing evil duck commander Choki >:( on a chocobo!!!

Postby Jotomicron » Thursday 2 October 2003 10:44:50pm

Mint wrote:And yes darkcloak, he totally should learn Occulmancy. I just hope they will find a new teacher for him. Snape +Harry doesn't seem to work... :-?

DD + Harry is the union that must be done! DD knows almost everything we need to know about Voldemort... Harry is who's going to kill him! DD shoul teach Harry Occlumency, defenitely!
Jotomicron

Postby Mistress Siana » Sunday 19 October 2003 4:45:30pm

2)If Voldie kills Harry......then what? May be another prophecy will come to life...LOL no seriously. DO u think if Harry kills off Voldie he will be live forever? U know? Harry still will die some way, like Old Age will kill him.....

I think we have to bear in mind that the fact that VD and Harry cannot live with each other doens't mean that ONE of them has to die...they might also die both!
Mistress Siana
Slytherin Chaser and Devil's advocate

Postby Mistress Siana » Sunday 19 October 2003 4:45:53pm

2)If Voldie kills Harry......then what? May be another prophecy will come to life...LOL no seriously. DO u think if Harry kills off Voldie he will be live forever? U know? Harry still will die some way, like Old Age will kill him.....

I think we have to bear in mind that the fact that VD and Harry cannot live with each other doens't mean that ONE of them has to die...they might also die both!
Mistress Siana
Slytherin Chaser and Devil's advocate

Postby Jotomicron » Sunday 19 October 2003 10:25:21pm

Mistress Siana wrote:I think we have to bear in mind that the fact that VD and Harry cannot live with each other doens't mean that ONE of them has to die...they might also die both!

Indeed, they can both die! I 've already thought about that possibility. Surely Voldemort will die... But Harry? I think he will, too! Sadly (Althought I don't want it to happen).

But, hey! I still hope he survives! :)
Jotomicron

Postby Gypsy » Monday 20 October 2003 4:15:23pm

I totally agree Jotomicron. Hope Harry dowsnt die tho. Im gonna be petrified reading the last book :-?
Gypsy
Fully Qualified Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to The Books