How did you feel about the 5th book overall?

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

How did you feel about book 5 after reading it?

Best book ever written!
9%
Great! My favourite book in the series!
32%
Good, but not my favourite book in the HP series.
50%
Disappointed. Did not meet my expectations.
9%

Total votes : 149

I didn't know where to post this so i posted it here.

Postby jared » Friday 18 July 2003 1:38:30am

Hello, i just finished reading the Fifth Harry Potter this after noon and over all i thought it was a great book.But there was one espect of the book a didn't like at all.That part i am talking about it scaddered in the book. it's Harry's relationship with Cho Chang... it really ticked me off how in the end they didn't get together.I hope she does sumthing it the later books with them. In book three Harry first noticed Cho and blah and then in the fourth they saw more of each other and He asked her to the Yule Ball but she was already going with Cedric.Then Cedric was murdered and that brings us to the fifth book.When Cho and Harry started going out it was really cool but then in the coffee shop she got jealous and mad and told harry she wanted to talk about Cedric... but she got all mad when he said he had to meet Hermoine, Harry should have explained more.Then all was good when harry did that interview for The Quibbler she wasn't med at him. Then he got all mad and yelled at her.Then in the end Cho started going out with Micheal Corner. it is really confusing cuz Rowling made it seem like they were really good for each other and stuff.
tell me what you think or e-mail me at masterjared90@hotmail.com
jared
Muggle

Postby June » Friday 18 July 2003 5:03:46am

jared, there's already been some discussions about this topic... perhaps a relevant thread would be this:

http://www.broomsticksandowls.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1215&start=0&sid=434941a5791fd48ea6eacf1c6a1f1673

Another thread on the second page of this forum would be the thread titled "Romance"... hope it helps. =)
June
Lady in White

Postby HuffleDuck » Friday 18 July 2003 5:47:17am

Can't wait until the 6th one comes out.. Book 5 is really really great. :)
HuffleDuck
Keeper of the Lake

Postby Broccoli » Friday 18 July 2003 9:25:49am

I finished the book yesterday and was a little disappointed because I didn't really find out that much... Like when DD says he s going to tell Harry everything I would expect more... Probably this is because of the theories and rumours discussed on this board as well... It seams like they were more interesting than the book itself. I can remember how excited I was reading the final chapters of books 3 and 4, but with the 5th book it was different...
Also the first books discribed little details much more, like Hogwards and the way students live and the wizarding world in general, whereas the 5th book is more concentrated on the plot and a lot of romantic is gone...
Broccoli
Slytherin Prefect, Healer at St Mungo's and Slytherin Chaser

Postby Bimbybecca » Friday 18 July 2003 10:22:57am

Okay before i say what i want to say, I must say that i really do love J.K.Rowling I think she's a fantastic woman who deserves all the royalties she gets from Harry Potter.

The order of the Phoenix was not one of the good harry potter books, firstly I found the whole thing totally farfetched(sorry I'am a terrible speller), because Cho kisses a boy 1 year younger than her and then she dates a boy 2 years younger than her! Usually girls don't date guys younger than them and if they do they usually get grief for it, And secondly why was Harry in such a bad mood all the time? I'm aware that he gets a little angry in the other books but in this one his hormones have gone wild!

However I did enjoy the special appearances by Gildery Lockhart and Lupin who are both fantastic characters.

To sum it all up I would give this book 6 out of 10, let's hope the next book has a few more twists are turns and for heavens sake don't make Vouldermort come back-AGAIN!
Bimbybecca
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby June » Friday 18 July 2003 11:00:47am

Bimbybecca wrote:firstly I found the whole thing totally farfetched(sorry I'am a terrible speller), because Cho kisses a boy 1 year younger than her and then she dates a boy 2 years younger than her! Usually girls don't date guys younger than them and if they do they usually get grief for it, And secondly why was Harry in such a bad mood all the time? I'm aware that he gets a little angry in the other books but in this one his hormones have gone wild!

Firstly, not to offend you, Bimbybecca... but I think you're being a bit too general. Plenty of women date guys younger than themselves and many too, found happiness with younger men. Isn't there a saying that states that age does not matter in love? There are already lots of examples of this in real life, so I won't say more. Besides, Harry is just 1 year younger, not 10... there isn't really that much of a difference, actually.

As for why Harry is angry all the time, we have discussed this topic in other threads too. If you're interested, do search out relevant threads such as "Angry Harry" or "Harry Potter" etc in this forum and the Book 5 "Characters" forum. =)
June
Lady in White

Postby Gwared » Friday 18 July 2003 8:16:54pm

June wrote:
Bimbybecca wrote:firstly I found the whole thing totally farfetched(sorry I'am a terrible speller), because Cho kisses a boy 1 year younger than her and then she dates a boy 2 years younger than her! Usually girls don't date guys younger than them and if they do they usually get grief for it, And secondly why was Harry in such a bad mood all the time? I'm aware that he gets a little angry in the other books but in this one his hormones have gone wild!

Firstly, not to offend you, Bimbybecca... but I think you're being a bit too general. Plenty of women date guys younger than themselves and many too, found happiness with younger men. Isn't there a saying that states that age does not matter in love? There are already lots of examples of this in real life, so I won't say more. Besides, Harry is just 1 year younger, not 10... there isn't really that much of a difference, actually.

As for why Harry is angry all the time, we have discussed this topic in other threads too. If you're interested, do search out relevant threads such as "Angry Harry" or "Harry Potter" etc in this forum and the Book 5 "Characters" forum. =)

Hehe, hahahahaha....all but three of my girlfriends have been older than me...my last was 6 months older than me and technically in the year above me at school. Age matters less and less as you get older. Also the boy she is now dating is in Harry's year...not Ginny's. Check the HP lexicon if you don't believe me.
Gwared
Gryffindor Prefect, Landlord of the Three Broomsticks and Common Welsh Green Dragon Keeper

Order of the Phoenix

Postby Chris30 » Saturday 19 July 2003 3:26:58pm

For me the book was not quite as great as it could have been. Why? Because I'm left with several lingering thoughts:

1. Why did Snape favour Death Eating families for his prefects, if he's a member of the order and committed to ending Voldemort's power?

2. Why didn't Harry use that mirror to speak to Sirius? This doesn't make sense at all - he loved Sirius but promptly forgot a present from him.

3. Why did Harry ignore the advice given in the strongest terms to him by the people he valued most? He put no effort into clearing his mind at night despite the repeated comments and clues.

4. It was screamingly obvious that the Dept of Mysteries dreams were put there by Voldemort as a snare. Even if Harry was too silly to see this, an "adult" should have mentioned it. Perhaps Rowling's point is that adults don't trust children enough.

5. The socio-political thing (Politicians cannot be trusted; Neither can biased newspapers; Given a free press then the truth will come out) would be good but it's overdone. Crouch and Umbridge are almost pantomime characters.

So it's far from the best book in the series but I enjoyed a great deal of it. Looking forward to the next two.
Chris30
Muggle

Re: Order of the Phoenix

Postby Gwared » Saturday 19 July 2003 5:38:11pm

Chris30 wrote:For me the book was not quite as great as it could have been. Why? Because I'm left with several lingering thoughts:

1. Why did Snape favour Death Eating families for his prefects, if he's a member of the order and committed to ending Voldemort's power?

2. Why didn't Harry use that mirror to speak to Sirius? This doesn't make sense at all - he loved Sirius but promptly forgot a present from him.

3. Why did Harry ignore the advice given in the strongest terms to him by the people he valued most? He put no effort into clearing his mind at night despite the repeated comments and clues.

4. It was screamingly obvious that the Dept of Mysteries dreams were put there by Voldemort as a snare. Even if Harry was too silly to see this, an "adult" should have mentioned it. Perhaps Rowling's point is that adults don't trust children enough.

5. The socio-political thing (Politicians cannot be trusted; Neither can biased newspapers; Given a free press then the truth will come out) would be good but it's overdone. Crouch and Umbridge are almost pantomime characters.

So it's far from the best book in the series but I enjoyed a great deal of it. Looking forward to the next two.

Answers:

1: Snape does not chose prefects, DD does...and so far only three male characters have been mentioned for Harry's year in Slytherin all with DE fathers. However, Parkinsons family are not DE's to my knowlege and she was made prefect. It seems there was no choice for DD with regards to the male Slytherin prefect.

2: Harry didn't know what the present was, and he did not want to be responsible for luring Sirius from Grimmauld Place and for what could happen subsequent to that. Therfore he hid it and promptly forgot about it.

3: Have you ever tried to clear you mind when you're feeling great, let alone after some tumultuous event of which Harry was having pretty much on a day to day basis. However, Harry did act like a spoilt brat throughout the book.

4: Obvious to the reader maybe, but if you were in his position prehaps less so. Again, I refer to the point that Harry was a moron in this book. Also, note that in real life some things you don't see seem obvious to others.

5: Crouch wasn't in the book; if you meant Umbridge and Fudge I don't really have a comment, they served their respective purposes.
Gwared
Gryffindor Prefect, Landlord of the Three Broomsticks and Common Welsh Green Dragon Keeper

Postby Chris30 » Sunday 20 July 2003 1:38:59pm

I can see I stand corrected!

1. I'm sure there's more than six people in Slytherin in the fifth year; it's just that JKR doesn't write about them. A bit of a puzzle still, then.

2. Harry knew the present was for contacting Sirius. Well, at least he was told that. But he forgot.

3. Oh I don't think occlumency would be easy at all. It's the fact that he didn't try that gets me.

4. True

5. Sorry yes I meant Fudge.
Chris30
Muggle

Postby Gwared » Monday 21 July 2003 10:58:57am

Chris30 wrote:I can see I stand corrected!

1. I'm sure there's more than six people in Slytherin in the fifth year; it's just that JKR doesn't write about them. A bit of a puzzle still, then.

2. Harry knew the present was for contacting Sirius. Well, at least he was told that. But he forgot.

3. Oh I don't think occlumency would be easy at all. It's the fact that he didn't try that gets me.

4. True

5. Sorry yes I meant Fudge.

Well...ah, I'll do a list again...it's easier:

1. There are 8 listed to my knowlege..5 girls (prehaps 4) and 3 boys (although it seems likely that Nott would be in Slytherin; also another Slytherin boy was introduced in OotP during the "who can see thestrals?" scene who's name isn't yet in the hp lexicon). That would be the possible 10?

2. True, but he didn't know in which way...he didn't want to get Sirius caught and he assumed that by contacting him he would risk this.

3. He didn't try, prehaps because he didn't realise its importance and, well if you get given an optional piece of homework and are told it'll help with the exam, do you do it? :)(OK I would now, but when I was 15/16 I did the bare minimum).

4. Budweiser

5. Lemon Sherbert

Hope that helps :-)
Gwared

Postby Dink Meeker » Monday 21 July 2003 2:58:58pm

I thought OofP was great. I just started reading HP a couple months ago, so I began OofP as soon as I was finished GoF. Not being subject to all the hype or the long wait I think maybe my expectations weren't quite as high. My only disappointment was that Harry didn't learn more about Snape than he did.
Dink Meeker
Seeker of the Light

Postby Marcus Baker » Wednesday 23 July 2003 3:31:42pm

Yea, it would be very useful if Harry Potter did do that mind reading thing.....the one snape did. He could get farther...But the chapter where snape reveals himself through himself in the past was QUITE AMAZING....poor snape and shame on the potters..
Marcus Baker
Supreme Auror and Vanquisher of Evil

Postby Charis » Monday 28 July 2003 5:05:52pm

Huey wrote:I thought OofP was great. I just started reading HP a couple months ago, so I began OofP as soon as I was finished GoF. Not being subject to all the hype or the long wait I think maybe my expectations weren't quite as high. My only disappointment was that Harry didn't learn more about Snape than he did.

i think you're very right about the hype. i'm by no means going to stay away from these forums, but i think for book six i won't try to think so much about it, sometimes picking apart books can take away from the actual enjoyment of the story, so i'm going to try to stay away from participating too much in all the theorizing for books 6 & 7. It's fun, but i don't want to get my own expectations of the book and be dissappointed when its not like I thought. it seems that thats what happened with alot of people on book 5.
Charis
Lady of the Lake

Postby bludy mery » Saturday 2 August 2003 5:29:29pm

The book was realy nice, but it desapointed me a bit... The other books were so much better... The end was total rubbish ( letting it end with that prophecy nonsence was a huge mastake) to much Umbridge... allthow she spiced it a bit it has to be limited!!! It made me so sick reading about her in every possible peace of paper in the book... and to much romance I think... the best parts of the book where Snape, and giants ...
The life in Hogwarts looked so less charmed and tempting, less facinating I guess... I always carried the book to every corner reading it with no stop but this time it was to much.... depressing.
and another goodpart this time, for a change, was Grimmuald's place... Its sounds like such a lovely space!!! I'd like to live there... Anyway I expect more from the next ones...
bludy mery
Queen of Darkness and Owner of the Loch Ness Monster

PreviousNext

Return to The Books