Mark Evans

Who do you like best and who could you definately live without? Will there be romance in the air for any of them and who will end up with who?

Moderators: Mistress Siana, Q.Araignee, Scarlet Lioness

Mark Evans

Postby Gypsy » Wednesday 9 July 2003 1:38:27pm

Sorry if we've already had this topic, but im intrigued as the reason why jk decided to make the boy that dudley had beaten up at the start of the book called Mark Evans. It can't just be a coincidence that he shares Lily and Petunia's maiden name. Can it?
Gypsy
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby June » Wednesday 9 July 2003 2:18:15pm

Well, it could be a coincidence, but with Rowling, one can never know... ^_~
June
Lady in White

Postby Sacred Guardian » Wednesday 9 July 2003 4:11:26pm

hmmmm, interestion, i had never noticed that, mayber there is somthing about him, and he's 10 so he would be coming to hogwarts next year, maybe he'll show up, and then harry won't be alone at privet drive
Sacred Guardian
Hufflepuff Prefect, Hufflepuff Chaser and Hogwarts' Master of Secrets

Postby Enchanter » Wednesday 9 July 2003 4:19:09pm

i didnt notice that either
Enchanter
Sixth Year

Postby zledm007 » Wednesday 9 July 2003 4:38:18pm

you know, it's even more intersting that dudley beat him up. possibly another clue that there's a connection there. :-?
zledm007
Divination Teacher and Jazz Master for the Universe

Postby Gypsy » Wednesday 9 July 2003 4:42:52pm

Good point about the possibility of Mark going to Hogwarts next year 12321. :D I think he may have something to do with the whole importance of Lily's green eyes mystery.
[/code]
Gypsy
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby AccioNiffler » Wednesday 9 July 2003 4:44:45pm

It is quite a coincidence that that his name is Evans. He and Harry could be cousins or something. Does JK describe what he looks like? I dont remember? But if they are related, he'd also be related to Petunia, so wouldn't she have ever mentioned that they had family around?
AccioNiffler
Caretaker of all Flying Fluffballs and Stewardess Extraordinaire

Postby lucill » Wednesday 9 July 2003 10:30:07pm

That's interesting, I didn't notice that! :eek: I think that Harry, Mark and Dudley are somehow connected. I dunno if they are really relatives (or if they KNOW that they are relatives :lol: ), but I am quite sure that they know him quite well. I mean, if they didn't Harry wouldn't know his name, would he? I mean he is all year at Hogwarts and he didn't have any friends before. Only few pppl know that he even exists, so Mark must be closer to the Dursleys than the rest.
lucill
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Ju-DedoH » Wednesday 9 July 2003 11:25:33pm

but when harry goes to his hearing, they say that he is the only wizard in privet drive I thiink ...
Ju-DedoH
Hufflepuff Prefect, Divination Teacher and Sgt. Pepper

Postby han lin » Wednesday 9 July 2003 11:38:33pm

it would be fun though
i'd never noticed the name before. i'm sure JK would have known what name she was putting in, weather it is just to mislead us or not, we'll have to wait and see.

Maybe wizards are only counted as wizards when they start at Hogwarts, in which case Mark would only be one next year
han lin
Hogwarts Guardian of Virtue

Postby Sacred Guardian » Thursday 10 July 2003 4:04:58am

right, only one wizard, they don't register squibs, his parents might be squibs and he got the magic, and they wouldn't have him registered, because he wouldn't have gone to hogwarts yet, he's only 10
Sacred Guardian
Hufflepuff Prefect, Hufflepuff Chaser and Hogwarts' Master of Secrets

Postby Heratio_Fonzarelli » Thursday 10 July 2003 9:23:00pm

well if he had magic in him wouldn't he be able to defend himself?
Heratio_Fonzarelli
Squib

Postby TheAmazingBouncingFerret » Thursday 10 July 2003 9:25:58pm

We don't know. But he does have enough spunk. :grin: Coming to Hogwarts is a possiblity I mean the book mentions that he is 10.
TheAmazingBouncingFerret
Fourth Year

Postby gecko » Thursday 10 July 2003 9:28:29pm

Heratio_Fonzarelli wrote:well if he had magic in him wouldn't he be able to defend himself?

I don't think so. Harry was beaten quite often by Dudley and his gang (although he escaped them miraculously some times :P), and he is a grand wizard with lots of magic in him!
gecko
Supreme Mugwump, Walker of Walls and Receiver of Won's Smooches

Postby KBIG104 » Friday 11 July 2003 10:07:23pm

It all makes sense.

It seems TOO well of a coincidence to have not been planned. He's ten - which means he's coming to Hogwarts next year.

However, who's to say that he's a wizard? Lily Evans was from a totally non-magical family. Did Hermionie know that she was magical until she got that letter? No, and neither would Mark. For that matter, neither would the Dursleys, Harry, or even the Ministry of Magic have any idea that Mark is magical - until the next book, when he's discovered, just as Herminone, Lilly, or anyone else who comes from a muggle family.

Plus, they may not know they are related. Let's say that the Evans family liked somewhere, and their parents (Harry's grandparents) never really stayed in touch with their siblings. Lily and Petunia would have cousins that they wouldn't know about. One of these cousins could move into 7 Privet Drive and they would have no idea that they are related.

I mean, look at their last name: EVANS. It's pretty common. It's one thing if they had a name like Weasley, D'Lecour, or Dumbledore. But Evans is nearly as common a name as Jones or Smith.

Do you go question others in your neighborhood with the same last name, and ask if they're related to you? No. And surely neither would the Dursleys.

Good work on spotting that connection!
KBIG104
Second Year

Location: South On Privet, Left at Grunding Av, West on the M5 to the Beach, Boat to USA, I-80 West, I-5 South

Next

Return to Characters