Umbridge VS Hagrid

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

Umbridge VS Hagrid

Postby yasmane » Tuesday 8 July 2003 2:55:07pm

I only have one question right now :
When Umbridge tries to get rid of Hagrid, she goes to see him with 4 or 5 persons.
who are these guys ? The ones who stunned Pr Mc Gonagal.
:???:
I think I missed something here.
Thanks for the answers.
yasmane
Sixth Year

Postby Gwared » Tuesday 8 July 2003 3:05:47pm

I would imagine they were aurors from the ministry as DD later orders Fudge to call them off so he can return to work.

Just checked, they were from the ministry. Dawlish is mentioned and he works for Fudge.
Gwared
Gryffindor Prefect, Landlord of the Three Broomsticks and Common Welsh Green Dragon Keeper

Postby yasmane » Tuesday 8 July 2003 3:10:48pm

Great, thanks for the answer.
Funny to think that 4 aurors + Umbridge didn't manage to catch hagrid.
yasmane
Sixth Year

Postby Colin » Tuesday 8 July 2003 9:31:10pm

It occurs to me that Umbridge might dislike half-breeds simply because she can't control them.

Hagrid's battle proved that he is outside the Ministry's control when Í^loes not want to come along quietly
Colin
The Grey Ghost

Postby Colin » Tuesday 8 July 2003 9:33:18pm

This is not the first time I've seen garbage where words should have been on this board.

This is odd. I run the same PHPBB board on my site. It never does this.
Colin
The Grey Ghost

Postby Sacred Guardian » Wednesday 9 July 2003 5:51:11am

well back on topic, Umbridge definatly hates halfbreeds, but i thought that the people who she went with to get hagrid were her slytherin cronies
Sacred Guardian
Hufflepuff Prefect, Hufflepuff Chaser and Hogwarts' Master of Secrets

enforcers

Postby highsorcerer » Wednesday 9 July 2003 6:32:45am

It wouldn't have been Slytherin cronies, it would have been MoM enforcers. Not Aurors; even Umbridge couldn't have pulled four or five of them to take out Hagrid when ten death eaters, Sirius Black, and Dumbledore were on the loose. They were just regulars magical law enforcement wizards.

It was a pretty cowardly move for her to try and take out Hagrid in the middle of the night, and even more cowardly for those enforcers to assualt McGonagall like they did. In fact, they had no cause to arrest Hagrid, unless it was a trumped-up charge. All they really could do was fire him.

You have to admire Hagrid though; he took out a whole squad of fully trained wizards. No wonder he was in the original OotP, despite being unable to use magic.
highsorcerer
Department of Mysteries Unspeakable and Registered Animagus (Parrot)

Postby fra-sirius » Wednesday 9 July 2003 9:38:47am

Gwared wrote:I would imagine they were aurors from the ministry as DD later orders Fudge to call them off so he can return to work.

Just checked, they were from the ministry. Dawlish is mentioned and he works for Fudge.

so, do you think they were aurors? ... i was thinking about some death eaters .. but how do they come to hogwarts? :???:
in fact, they should be very powerful ... if they succeeded in stunning macgonnagal ...
fra-sirius
Fourth Year

Postby choki » Wednesday 9 July 2003 9:46:39am

With 4 stuning curses hitting McGonagall, she is lucky to survive.
Remember in PoA, the trio hit Snape with a simple disarming spell and Snape was knocked out of cold for quite a while.
choki
Gryffindor Prefect and Silent Guardian Of Stars

Postby yasmane » Wednesday 9 July 2003 10:51:21am

Well, first of all it's impossible these guys were death eaters, that's totally absurd I think.
I do agree that they must have been aurors or just people from the MoM.
Anyway, we notice that JKR wasn't very specific about who these people were. Weird
yasmane
Sixth Year

Postby Gwared » Wednesday 9 July 2003 10:53:32am

fra-sirius wrote:
Gwared wrote:I would imagine they were aurors from the ministry as DD later orders Fudge to call them off so he can return to work.

so, do you think they were aurors? ... i was thinking about some death eaters .. but how do they come to hogwarts? :???:
in fact, they should be very powerful ... if they succeeded in stunning macgonnagal ...

I'm not thinking they're aurors, you see Dawlish is shouted at by Hagrid along the lines of:

"You'll never take me in like this Dawlish"

Dawlish is mentioned several times in the book with Fudge including the DD exit (non-quietly) scene and the end after Voldermort leaves. Dawlish could be a death-eater but he's never been mentioned as such. This is why I believe them Aurors.

Also Umbridge, whilst being evil, isn't a death-eater so why would she recruit them? This would mean that she knew Voldermort was back which I don't think she believes.
Gwared
Gryffindor Prefect, Landlord of the Three Broomsticks and Common Welsh Green Dragon Keeper

Postby fra-sirius » Wednesday 9 July 2003 11:05:27am

i think you're right ....

i'm just wondering ... why JK didn't say anything about them? who are they, where they come from and so on?

umbridge is not evil .... she is more and more and more and more than evil!!!!!!!!!!
fra-sirius
Fourth Year

Postby Sacred Guardian » Wednesday 9 July 2003 4:05:08pm

in rereading, i think it was just people from the MoM, not aurors, aurors would have done alot more damage, and wouldn't have attacked mcgonagall, i bet they worked for fudge and umbridge, maybe percy was one of them
Sacred Guardian
Hufflepuff Prefect, Hufflepuff Chaser and Hogwarts' Master of Secrets

Postby Gwared » Wednesday 9 July 2003 10:32:21pm

12321 wrote:in rereading, i think it was just people from the MoM, not aurors, aurors would have done alot more damage, and wouldn't have attacked mcgonagall, i bet they worked for fudge and umbridge, maybe percy was one of them

Dawlish is definately an auror as DD thretens him in one scene stating along the lines of:

"now come Dawlish, I'm sure your a very good auror, in fact I seem to remember you got outstandings in all of your NEWT's but if you come any closer I will have to hurt you..."

The others there's no way to know.
Gwared

Postby bobafett_12 » Wednesday 9 July 2003 11:16:28pm

good point, i have to agree. While Dawlish is defiantely an Auror, the others maybe just be Wizard Law Enforcement personnel, seeing as how they're in Fudge's back pocket. I was under the impression that most of the Aurors were in the OotP.
bobafett_12
Fourth Year

Next

Return to The Books