the movies made harry potter pathetic and commercial

Have you seen the movies, either in the cinema theatre, or on video or DVD, or thinking of seeing them? Share your views here.

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Snow_Crystal

the movies made harry potter pathetic and commercial

Postby bludy mery » Tuesday 24 June 2003 4:19:21pm

I think the movies are the stupidest thing ever!!!
first of all it came out terrible, it ruin people's imagination, and the book is so much better!!!
I mean... there are even stupid action figures!!! I can't understand how J k R agreed to turn her book into such a thing. Finaly when children dedicate some time for reading and using there brains, another jerk turns it to the this mercantile money machine.
bludy mery
Queen of Darkness and Owner of the Loch Ness Monster

Postby Jay » Tuesday 24 June 2003 6:41:00pm

The movies attempt to bring Harry potter to life, and I think they do a pretty decent job in doing so. Cant wait for the 3rd one :) DEMENTORS
Jay
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Stargazer » Tuesday 24 June 2003 11:05:28pm

I'm not the biggest fan of the movies but overall I think WB at co. did an allright job. Wonder what they're gonna do about book 4, split it in two or what?

* Stargazer *
Stargazer
Anazeteo Sophia, Aldebaran of the Hyades

Postby APWBD » Wednesday 25 June 2003 3:43:21am

I was thinkin the same thing Stargazer. The books are so long that either they will have to be divided or cut really short. Either way, its not going to be too pretty. If they shorten the movie, it will lose so much to it already. The movies in general have been okay so far, but i don't like watching movies made about books. My imagination is always ruined a bit, and I'd rather just read the book than watch the movie. However, as book 3 is my fav., I hope that they do justice to the movie. They'd better not take out the quiditch scenes!!! :(
APWBD
Second Year

Postby bludy mery » Wednesday 25 June 2003 7:47:43am

OK, so maybe they did quite a god job.
about bringing Harry potter to life, I think thats why imagination is created. I think J k rolling did a beautifull job in making the book alive for it self. Personaly I can imagin it pretty god without a help of a movie. For kids hew haven't learn to read, its a nice alternative. :double jump:
bludy mery

Postby Cougie » Friday 27 June 2003 2:16:17pm

I'm a big lover of John Williams compositions. His music for the movies is what I like best about the films. The rest wasn't that impressive as a movie though.
Cougie
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: Australia Awards: Witch Weekly’s most charming smile

Postby 2F2Type_R » Tuesday 8 July 2003 11:48:22am

CougarMan wrote:I'm a big lover of John Williams compositions. His music for the movies is what I like best about the films
ditto!

i reckon the movies play a big role in making Harry Potter to the wider public... for example - Me! :grin:

i never bothered with Harry Potter till i actually watched the first movie
so i guess if it Rowling hadn't given rights to WB, well.... it would have been a shame cuz i would never have picked up Philosopher's Stone =P

i reckonz there are alot of ppl out there too (those who at first didn't want to wait for the PoA movie, that is) :razz:
2F2Type_R
Quidditch Commentator

Postby Heratio_Fonzarelli » Wednesday 9 July 2003 1:23:45am

i actually learned about HP from the movies and that turned me on to the books
Heratio_Fonzarelli
Squib

Postby Hermione Weasley » Wednesday 9 July 2003 9:29:17am

overall i have been very happy with the movies yes the books are ten times better, but they have done a decent job and if they on't do the 3rd book any justice i will march don to wb headquarters and give them my two cents.the only thing i haven't liked is the fact that they cut so many important scenes its readilculous but still i hope the 3rd movie is as good if not better than the others and that includes sean biggerstaff and quidditch!!
Hermione Weasley
Gryffindor Prefect, Healer at St Mungo's and Keeper of Songs

Postby Gwared » Wednesday 9 July 2003 9:55:45am

I watched SS again last night for the second time. The 1st time I'd not read a single HP book and so the movie was, as far as I knew, accurate.

However since then I've read all five books and convince my mum and dad to read them, my dad's currently reading PoA and my mother had started PS.

My dad, bless his soul, tried to sound like he knew what he was talking about so through the whole film we had shouts of:

it's Hamish (when Hagrid arrived)
that must be the weasels (at platform 9 3/4)
there's henrietta (at hermione's entrance)
and Millicent Dragos (for Draco Malfoy)

I was laughing so hard for most of the film, but, there are so many inaccuracies that I see now!

Stupid things that even my muggle parents noticed they were that bad, like the Burmese(film)/Brazillian(book) snake. Why did that need to be changed??

Quirrels turben in the pub (now this could be explained if they shot the end before this scene as the actor would've had no hair but still!)

There were many others but I got bored of nit-picking by this point. Overall it's better before you read the books, but I'm off to watch the second film in a bit.
Gwared
Gryffindor Prefect, Landlord of the Three Broomsticks and Common Welsh Green Dragon Keeper

Postby bludy mery » Wednesday 9 July 2003 10:27:50am

me myself didn't bother to open the book before watching the films. (And now I'm ashamed of my self). But I guess it's right it just makes you want to read the books (and make rolling richer than queen Elizabeth) so its not that bad after all. The thing is acsualy it was harder for me to imagen the characters wich appierd in the film on my one after seeing it. Thats just ashame...
bludy mery

Postby MissGranger » Thursday 10 July 2003 11:57:30am

The movies are... oh my, I'm speechless. They are... THE BEST! It's like, the books come to life! (Not that I can't imagine them already :lol: ) I'm just very happy with the movies. It's a shame they don't come out fast enough. People (like me) tend to lose a little interest. :o
MissGranger
Squib

Postby HuffleDuck » Friday 11 July 2003 12:13:55am

First of all, Jk can't stop Wb or those action figures to be made since she sold the rights to WB. and i liked the toys, but not very fond with the movies since i hate when books are turned into the movie b/c they changing everything, such as some parts in the book that are not in the movie and some parts in the movie that are not in the book. Well, it's hollywood anyway, it can't be helped.

PS: the toys are great, love collecting them. :razz:
HuffleDuck
Keeper of the Lake

Postby bludy mery » Friday 11 July 2003 8:29:38am

I found a mastake!!! :eekie: in th first movie when Darko tells Harry that he better stay away from Ron and all and choose the right kind of wizards to be with??? so in the movie its in the great hall but in the book its on the train...
Anyway I still think a movie takes away all the magic and fantacy and turns it in to a hollywood stupid commercial thing. even if it opend it to a bigger publuic, (take me again as an example), and it is sure injoyable.
bludy mery

Postby Gwared » Saturday 12 July 2003 3:01:15pm

Scenes have to be changed and re-written due to the limit on a childrens film (generally) of 2.5hrs. This means differals from the book BUT in an inteview JK said that some odd scenes were left in as they will make more sense later!!

So, there are things to be learned from the films that could give clues to what will happen in the future.
Gwared
Gryffindor Prefect, Landlord of the Three Broomsticks and Common Welsh Green Dragon Keeper

Next

Return to The Movies