Dumbledore

Who do you like best and who could you definately live without? Will there be romance in the air for any of them and who will end up with who?

Moderators: Mistress Siana, Q.Araignee, Scarlet Lioness

Dumbledore

Postby APWBD » Monday 23 June 2003 12:46:40am

Did anyone notice that Dumbledore's 1st middle name is Percival (OoP ch.8)? And as we learned in previous books, his hair used to be an Auburn Red (CS). Although it is pretty unlikely, could DD and the Weasley's be related? Any comments?
APWBD
Second Year

Postby Blaise Zabini » Monday 23 June 2003 3:33:01am

Is DD pure blooded? If so, then as we learned in the chapter about the Black family, then yes, they'd be. Other than that, it's a possibility, but I'm not sure. I'm not really a fan of DD being related to any of the major characters. Am not sure why, it would just seem overdone, ne?

Lol, and I loved the fact his other name was Brian. And there was another name there that I can't remember. Albus Percival Brian Dumbledore. He really is the man. :D
Blaise Zabini
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Nothlit » Monday 23 June 2003 5:43:44am

I think Dumbledore is really Harry, Time-Turned back from the distant future. ;) Okay, maybe not.

It actually threw me off when one of Dumbledore's middle names was Brian. It just seems like such an ordinary, everyday, non-magical name. Kinda took me out of the magical mood of the book for a few minutes.
Nothlit
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Holly Golightly » Monday 23 June 2003 4:02:52pm

meanwhile, that is the exact reason that I though that it wsa so awesome! It's such a mundane type of name!!! ;)
Holly Golightly
Ravenclaw Chaser, Keeper of the Keys and Dancer of the Dances

Postby Neo » Tuesday 24 June 2003 8:16:44am

I like his whole name, indeed I noticed it has a meaning for us to know it, I can't remember the page so I'll look fot it. Here in page 780, when they see the prophecy, it says "S.P.T. to A.P.W.B.D." At first I didn't quite understand what it meant, but knew the second initials were from Albus.. Dumbledore, and at the end I realised that the first were from Sibyll P. Trelawney, now I wonder which the P stands for.

Well it seems that finally we discover DD mistake and weakness. Wonders what will happen in the next book anout that, will he make another mistake because he loves Harry, or any other character?
Neo
Gryffindor Chaser and The Chosen One

Postby Lunatech » Tuesday 24 June 2003 9:26:22pm

here is an interesting find.

someone in a forum stated that dumbledore was an animagus. the current list of animagus (mentioned in Chamber of Secrets) was for only people within the last 100 years. dumbledore on the otherhand is much older than 100 years old.

so now i'll leave this up to you to figure out.

btw, there's a blatant hint as to what type of animagus he is in Order of the Phoenix.

:)
Lunatech
Fourth Year

Postby June » Wednesday 25 June 2003 5:15:38am

Really...? There's a bltant hint? I must have missed it... can you tell me which chapter is that to look out for? I must go through it again...

BTW, an interesting titbit/ speculation from another forum I go to, is that Dumbledore is the giant squid in the lake... =P
June
Lady in White

Postby Lunatech » Wednesday 25 June 2003 7:13:34am

well its not written in stone, but the list of animagus from CoS only goes back a hundred years. James was an unlicensed one as well of course. Anyway, a dumbledore is a type of bee i believe.

Somewhere in the Order of the Phoenix (forgot where) there was a wasp flying around Harry's ear.

It wouldn't be a surprise JKR were to write in her future books that he's a wasp of some type.

Of course since it's not written yet we could be totally wrong.

Lunar.
Lunatech
Fourth Year

Postby Fafnul Black » Wednesday 25 June 2003 9:48:57am

Yo, Dumbledore as a wasp, that would be something indeed. Like, sometimes he wears Quidditch robes like those of Ludo in book 4 ?

Why would Dumbledore have to be an animagus anyway ? He already has lots of hats to handle, no ?
Fafnul Black
Fourth Year

Well, Dumbledore wasn't always Hogwarts headmaster...

Postby highsorcerer » Wednesday 25 June 2003 9:58:58am

There could be lots of reasons why Dumbledore became an animagus. He wasn't always headmaster of Hogwarts; before then he was the transfiguration teacher (like animagus McGonnagall is now). Before then... who knows. It's actually a good theory; Dumbledore has stated he kept a closer watch on Harry than he knew; the ability to turn into a small flying insect would be very useful for spying on Harry. There is no doubt Dumbledore is smart enough and magically powerful enough to do it if he wanted to.
highsorcerer
Department of Mysteries Unspeakable and Registered Animagus (Parrot)

Postby Lunatech » Wednesday 25 June 2003 4:34:20pm

look at rita skeeter.

it's apparently an excellent tool to spy on people. no doubt dumbledore would use something like this to maybe keep an eye of harry outside of hogwarts.
Lunatech
Fourth Year

Postby Lizzy Bennet » Wednesday 25 June 2003 4:48:05pm

This is a terrible question to ask, but if someone killed an animagus (like, with a wasp or beetle, if they squashed it), would you effectively have killed the wizard, too?? :???: Remember, Hermione 'trapped' Rita Skeeter, the beetle, in a jar, and she had a hold over her...was it that Rita couldn't transform back to a wizard or that she didn't because Hermione was blackmailing her? Anyone have any ideas on this? I was wondering if Dumbledore being a wasp if it would make him vulnerable... :-?
Lizzy Bennet
Angel of Music and Giver of Hugs

Postby Person#11 » Wednesday 25 June 2003 5:52:16pm

The wasp is in one of the exams, HoM I believe. But is he a bumblebee {the meaning of dumbledore in old english] or a wasp.
Person#11
Third Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Nothlit » Wednesday 25 June 2003 7:48:59pm

The thought of Dumbledore being an Animagus is a very good idea that I hadn't ever considered...and it fits in perfectly with the bumblebee thing. Hmm...

And yes, I would assume that if someone killed a wizard in their animal form, then the wizard himself would be killed.
Nothlit
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby HuffleDuck » Monday 30 June 2003 9:09:31pm

:grin: DD have such a long name.... I'm really fond of DD... :D He's such a cool guy. Wonder what he's like when he was young. :razz:
HuffleDuck
Keeper of the Lake

Next

Return to Characters