Angry Harry...

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

Postby Hermione » Monday 23 June 2003 8:30:01pm

I thought Harry being angry all the time was because Voldemort was possessing his mind. I don't know . . . maybe that a bit of Voldemort's qualities were infecting Harry? Maybe it's just me . . .

Anyway, I was really afraid that Rowling is setting up the scene for Harry to become evil, because the anger and stuff really seemed a bit overdone, and like others have mentioned before me, he didn't even apologize to Ron and Hermione for yelling at them. But then again, it might also just be me . . .
Hermione
Hogwarts Librarian and Resident Muse

Postby DrkSphere » Monday 23 June 2003 11:52:23pm

Yea, I was waiting for Harry's anger to show through.. You realy have to remember that he IS 15, his body's changing, hormones are flaring, he's not exactly going to make rational and logical decisions all the time. he doesn't know everything that we know now that we're older.

Also, something that *every* hero in a story needs is a human flaw.. to really allow people to identify with. Think of all the stories you've read, and every main hero had some sort of flaw that you could identify with.
DrkSphere
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Holly Golightly » Tuesday 24 June 2003 6:49:22am

Well, I suppose that it wont' be too bad, provided that it doesnt' continue in 6 and 7... that would really annoy me
Holly Golightly
Ravenclaw Chaser, Keeper of the Keys and Dancer of the Dances

Postby June » Tuesday 24 June 2003 7:01:23am

Holly Golightly wrote:Well, I suppose that it wont' be too bad, provided that it doesnt' continue in 6 and 7... that would really annoy me

Exactly what I was thinking too, Holly!
June
Lady in White

Postby choki » Tuesday 24 June 2003 8:16:34am

ok Harry did went overboard with his temper...but i can understand why his temper flared up...he is trapped in Privet Drive with no informations abt Voldemort's doing, he had nearly gotten himself expelled from Hogwarts, he is not allowed to know more things abt OotP...not to mention abt Umbridge...anyone would have long ago gave that woman a slap :lol:
choki
Gryffindor Prefect and Silent Guardian Of Stars

Angry, whiny Harry Potter

Postby Elf_Lover » Wednesday 25 June 2003 4:41:17am

I thought it was really annoying how whiny Harry was in the 5th book. I thought it was completely going against his character to be so angry all the time. It was similar to what happened to Anakin Skywalker in the last Star Wars movie. All he did was whine and complain against fate. I wish she had spent less time writing about his anger, and more time about Ron and Hermione.
Elf_Lover
Muggle

Postby Boycey » Wednesday 25 June 2003 9:28:23am

Harry was angry, but I think that this would be normal behavior for a fifteen year old boy who saw the rise of Lord Voldemort, and the death of one of his close friends. I think that JKR wanted to show this, and thats why Harry was extra angry at the start of the book. Toward the end though he was getting better and less angry (not including the dumbledore office argument of course), and with him not snapping at Ron or Hermonie at the end of book 5 after what dumbleodre told him, I think Harry is now starting to cope with his emotions, I beleive he will be better mannered towards his friends at the start of book 6 then he was at book 5.
Boycey
Fourth Year

Postby Fafnul Black » Wednesday 25 June 2003 10:26:07am

Harry is bound to grown up, somehow, so his behavior will certainly evolve, no worries ! Frankly, it would have been a bit, er-, boring, no, to have the same nice-and-controlled Harry in all 7 books ? People are bound to change, and to go through the so-called "silly age" once in their live.
Fafnul Black
Fourth Year

Re: Angry Harry...

Postby Cho Chang » Wednesday 25 June 2003 11:30:48pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Okies, did anyone else think that maybe Harry was going just a little over the top with snapping at Ron and Hermoine??? He was really anoying me there for a while... any time that they would say someting, he would jump down their throat and completely and unreasonably go-off at them... :( Actually, and everyone else aswell, including Cho, and DD too!!!

It kinda annoyed me because alot of it was unnecessary, and he's always been such a nice and considerate boy in the past... *more of less...* but nothing like this though... :???:

i agree with you. Most of Harry's Snapping was useless. He screams and hells at Ron and Hermione, Umbridge (well she deserves it but still), Cho, and DD.

I mean, just look at DD. He was trying to protect Harry and try to explain to him. And Harry's was yelling back at him. You don't do that to people that are trying to protect you.
Cho Chang
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby APWBD » Thursday 26 June 2003 3:38:31am

One of my favorite things from previous books about Harry Potter was the fact that he never let the many things that he had done get to his head. In this book, he really disappointed me on the fact. Oh well, i guess that's expected as you grow older.
APWBD
Second Year

Postby HuffleDuck » Thursday 26 June 2003 11:21:31pm

:grin: Actually Harry's attitude in this book fits right in everything he had suffered and endured. I liked it... I would get upset if he's all nice and understanding like many other books... Like JK and mayn other say before.... IF the characters is too perfect, it'll seem unlikely a good book. Just imagine and put yourself in his shoe... You'll probably be the same. Growing up without parents and in a horrible home. After Sirius's death.. he can't handle it anymore.. ALl those anger built up inside just went berserk.... Best friends don't have to apologize after a little fight or screaming.. True friends will understand each other and stick together.. "Saying Sorry" doesn't necessary to become friend again after the little fight.. Just like Ron and Harry and Hermy did through out all the book... :D
HuffleDuck
Keeper of the Lake

Postby werebane » Thursday 26 June 2003 11:57:57pm

I think that Harry's anger problem was because he had been angry at them before and had held it back but there was just to much anger and he let it all loose
werebane
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Nothlit » Friday 27 June 2003 12:42:51am

I think the biggest roots of Harry's anger are that, for the first time, he's really starting to feel the pressure of being famous. Not to mention the fact that very few people believe him until the very end of this book.

But the biggest thing I think drives Harry to lose his temper in this book is the feeling that he feels left out of his own life. Everybody else is making all the important decisions for him, without consulting him at all. As we saw at the beginning of the book, he was mad at Ron and Hermione because he simply felt left out, having spent half the summer at Privet Drive while he assumed they were off having a grand old time without him. Every teenager has feelings like this at one time or another, and I think Harry's anger and emotions are some of the strongest and best parts of this book! :)
Nothlit
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby werebane » Friday 27 June 2003 3:24:32am

I agree completely
werebane
Fully Qualified Wizard

Harry's Anger

Postby highsorcerer » Friday 27 June 2003 7:29:08am

You know something? He gets attacked by dementors, Vernon Dursley attempts to kick him out of his house, he faced explusion from Hogwarts, having his wand snapped, and has his reputation besmirched by the Daily Prophet... and that is just in the first two chapters. After that he gets told once again he's too young to know something (the OotP), despite the fact he's already lived through more than an ordinary wizard would in three lifetimes.

Then at school Dumbledore ignores him, Hagrid is missing without explanation, Umbridge gives his horrible detentions and gives the Slytherins, he's kicked off the Quidditch team, his best friend is ridiculed, and his scar keeps hurting.

I think he had pretty darn good reasons to be angry. In fact, he probably wouldn't have stayed sane if it wasn't for D.A. and his relationship with Cho Chang (rocky as it was, he WAS with a girl who he fancied, and who fancied him back). Plus, of course, seeing how the money he invested in the Weasley twins worked out... he was absolutely right to and when he gave them the Triwizard winnings; he DID need a few laughs more than usual. He also had to enjoy his small victories over Umbridge with his Quibbler interview (which the other teachers throughly approved of), the scene where Dumbledore took the hit for D.A., and his career advice with McGonagall (and her subsequent promise to help him become an Auror, McGonagall's small revenge on Umbridge).

Top that off with the death of Sirius, and I'd say he got pushed to the breaking point.
highsorcerer
Department of Mysteries Unspeakable and Registered Animagus (Parrot)

PreviousNext

Return to The Books