Angry Harry...

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

Angry Harry...

Postby Holly Golightly » Sunday 22 June 2003 2:13:06am

Okies, did anyone else think that maybe Harry was going just a little over the top with snapping at Ron and Hermoine??? He was really anoying me there for a while... any time that they would say someting, he would jump down their throat and completely and unreasonably go-off at them... :( Actually, and everyone else aswell, including Cho, and DD too!!!

It kinda annoyed me because alot of it was unnecessary, and he's always been such a nice and considerate boy in the past... *more of less...* but nothing like this though... :???:
Holly Golightly
Ravenclaw Chaser, Keeper of the Keys and Dancer of the Dances

Postby English » Sunday 22 June 2003 3:25:00am

yes- I totally agree! I think that he cerainly has become the "moody teenager," but unfortunatly he is just becoming.... nasty. If he contiunes like this the Ron and Hermione will just get fed up with him!
English
Second Year

Postby Holly Golightly » Sunday 22 June 2003 3:45:40am

Well,t hey did tell im once of twice to quit it, but he didnt' listen, which just annoyed me allt he more... and when he went off at DD... I mean, apology's would be nice there... :-?
Holly Golightly

Re: Angry Harry...

Postby DrkSphere » Sunday 22 June 2003 7:52:41am

Holly Golightly wrote:Okies, did anyone else think that maybe Harry was going just a little over the top with snapping at Ron and Hermoine??? He was really anoying me there for a while... any time that they would say someting, he would jump down their throat and completely and unreasonably go-off at them... :( Actually, and everyone else aswell, including Cho, and DD too!!!

It kinda annoyed me because alot of it was unnecessary, and he's always been such a nice and considerate boy in the past... *more of less...* but nothing like this though... :???:

I think it's all the teenage angst and confusion with the world around you. Normally it's not *THAT* bad, But, when you've had to endure everything that Harry has over the course of his life.. and him NEVER speaking out of line to practically anyone, even the Dursleys.. except for small outbreaks here and there... it builds up. I think the catalyst was Cedric, however... dealing with a death like that was just too much, and since he never really had a proper release of his emotions, or really anyone to talk to about them, no parents or any guardian worth speaking to, that's kind of what happens.

It's something I've actually been trying to look into a lot.. is how, psychologically, people deal with things like death and murder when under their very eyes.. it's very important to some of the video games I've been designing lately, (unfortunately none are anywhere NEAR completion,) but what witnessing a murder does to peoples minds, is simply incredible.
DrkSphere
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Holly Golightly » Sunday 22 June 2003 8:05:38am

Yeah, I understand how that woudl make it understandable to go off at people sometimes, but let's just say that I lost a bit of respect for Harry when he didnt' even apologise afterwards... especially to Ron and Hermoine whent hey pointed it out to him... :-?
They stood by him the whole time, always suported him, never even really doubted him, and that was how he treated them... :(
Not good at all...
Holly Golightly

Postby DrkSphere » Sunday 22 June 2003 5:25:37pm

I think it's kinda like the 4th book.. when Ron started acting like a stupid git.. then they just were all of a sudden friends again with no need for an apology. With my friends, if one of us flies off the handle, then we talk again and it's cool, sometimes it's not even necessary. I dunno, I guess with everything that happened, maybe they just forgot about the apologies? It would make sense.. And Harry has at least 2 more years to make it up to them. =)
DrkSphere

Postby Lily » Sunday 22 June 2003 10:33:07pm

I agree with Holly. Harry was starting to annoy me with his surly attitude, especially at the beginning. I gave him the benefit of the doubt at the end with DD but that irritated me a bit as well.
Lily

Postby Blaise Zabini » Monday 23 June 2003 1:56:54am

I think that a lot of Harry's angst as to be expected. I mean, it did get a bit too Holden Caulfield-esque at some points, but overall I think that his anger toward the world was pretty deserved. The guy was completely cut off from everything that he loved and cared for. Don't know about you, but I'd be a bit p***d.

I do agree that it was a definite change from the compassionate Harry we saw in books past and that he was on the betraying those who cared about him most, but I think that his emotion definitely added to the overall mood of the book. Since I began reading the books, I've been looking forward to seeing the dark side of Harry, and now that it's been done, I'm quite pleased with the way it was!

As for Cho, she made me want to burn my house on fire. I hated her that much. It wasn't any fault of the JK's, just that I loath her with every cell in my body. She was so over-sensitive and over-dramatic about everything and turned Cedric's death into her own bloody problem. Honestly, I'm so, so glad that the H/C pairing is over.

And for Dumbledore, I'm still not sure how to interpret his speech at the end. His avoidance of Harry throughout the beginning and middlle of the book was warranted, as he did it to protect both Harryand himself, but I don't know whether I liked what he had to say at the end.
Blaise Zabini
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Lizzy Bennet » Monday 23 June 2003 3:24:20am

Blaise Zabini wrote:I think that a lot of Harry's angst as to be expected. I mean, it did get a bit too Holden Caulfield-esque at some points, but overall I think that his anger toward the world was pretty deserved. The guy was completely cut off from everything that he loved and cared for. Don't know about you, but I'd be a bit p***d.

I do agree that it was a definite change from the compassionate Harry we saw in books past and that he was on the betraying those who cared about him most, but I think that his emotion definitely added to the overall mood of the book. Since I began reading the books, I've been looking forward to seeing the dark side of Harry, and now that it's been done, I'm quite pleased with the way it was!

As for Cho, she made me want to burn my house on fire. I hated her that much. It wasn't any fault of the JK's, just that I loath her with every cell in my body. She was so over-sensitive and over-dramatic about everything and turned Cedric's death into her own bloody problem. Honestly, I'm so, so glad that the H/C pairing is over.

And for Dumbledore, I'm still not sure how to interpret his speech at the end. His avoidance of Harry throughout the beginning and middlle of the book was warranted, as he did it to protect both Harryand himself, but I don't know whether I liked what he had to say at the end.

I find myself agreeing with both Holly and Blaise! :grin: Harry is understandably jaded and not the little boy he once was...having witnessed and participated (unwillingly) in what he did in book 4, I'm not sure anyone could come back from that the same. Especially when he was made out to be a liar and attention-seeking. That'd be frustrating and alienating to anyone...Harry turned inward at the end of book 4, blaming himself, keeping things to himself, and in book 5, he seemed to blame everyone else and unleash...perhaps it was expected...all the frustrations finally coming loose.

However, Harry could have always apologized for his rudeness, and he never did. He seemed to use people who cared about him as punching-bags. There's a lot to admire about Harry, but at the same time, sometimes I wanted to shake him for his impetuousness and how I'd have thought, by now, he might have learned how his impulsivity has gotten him into trouble before. Harry is just learning, but still, I think he should have been more apologetic to some of the people he spoke harshly to. Although, maybe with Sirius's death, Harry's seen that someone can be taken from you before you have a chance to say all the wonderful things you wish to express to them. :cry:

Cho certainly wasn't the most likeable character...her choice in friends (Marietta) was questionable, and she seemed rather insecure and self-possessed. She kept bringing up Cedric and making it about her, but sheesh, Harry saw him die--Cho and Harry both grieve for Cedric, but Harry was there when he died. Then, Cho was getting all unreasonable about Hermione, like Harry's not supposed to have female friends. Maybe, for Harry, dating Cho was about finally having a relationship with his crush, and for Cho, it was trying to get over Cedric. I don't know, but she certainly irritated me...like Harry didn't have enough drama going on...what did Cho want from him anyway?? :???:

Blaise, like you, not sure about Dumbledore's speech at the end. He didn't seem very sympathetic to Harry's loss, his words to Harry didn't feel quite right. Did Harry forgive him or not? Or was that left open-ended? I felt disconcerted about that exchange, but I can't really put my finger on why...I can say, if I lost someone that close to me, I'd be in no mood to hear, from anyone, what was wrong with that person, how they brought it on themselves, or how that's just how life is, no matter how right the person saying these things might be. Perhaps when I was in a better place about it, but at 15, even with Cedric's death, losing someone (particularly Sirius) just isn't something you can be reasonable about at first. :cry:
Lizzy Bennet
Angel of Music and Giver of Hugs

Postby June » Monday 23 June 2003 7:51:00am

Finshed the book... and just some thoughts. I like the book, but I must admit, compared to the other books, it probably wouldn't shape up to be one of my favourites. A main problem is Harry. He have lots of reasons to be angry, I'm sure, but he can be downright irrational and reckless at times. I can't count the number of times I've wanted to shout at him and shake him till he recover his senses when I was reading... what happened to that well-balanced, mature, reasonable, compssionte boy of the previous 4 book? Granted he has lots of reasons for his behaviour, but that doesn't excuse him all the time... he goes way overboard too many time to count.
June
Lady in White

Postby Holly Golightly » Monday 23 June 2003 2:38:41pm

June wrote:but that doesn't excuse him all the time... he goes way overboard too many time to count.

WOW, this is exactly what I am thinking! Yes, bad things happened, and one would expect him to go off unsreasonably sometimes, and reasonably some other times, but still... he got too angry way too many times for it to keep being forgiven like that...
Once or twice and yes, he's under pressure, and he was isolated from everyone, and the Dursleys suck, and all those other reasons are enough... but it wasn't just once or twice, it was ll the book! He definately needed to apoligise!!!

And yeah, I couldnt' stand Cho either! She was annoying, crying all the time. But I think that the thing about Hermoine was understandable for 15yr olds, that's just what happens at those young ages!!!
Holly Golightly

Postby Claire » Monday 23 June 2003 3:29:06pm

I think that this rage is really what is to be expected from a fifteen year old. And, who ever knew a teenager to apologize? Besides, even if Harry were to apologize, It'd be in the beginning of next book, because Harry was going through things right up till the end of the book, he needs a bit of rest before coming to his senses.
Claire
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Fafnul Black » Monday 23 June 2003 6:04:05pm

Yeah, truly, at that age, it could be worse, like listening to AC/DC, the
Aggressive Chaps with Destroying Charms magical group, or playing Goblins' Stones all days and nights in a corner of the common room. I think HP is quite restrained !
Fafnul Black
Fourth Year

Postby ElvenMist » Monday 23 June 2003 6:21:11pm

I think that Harry's rage was put in there to show that things are changing in the books and that Harry and his friends are no longer the "innocent" first years that they were when he first found out he was a wizard. i think it's to show that Harry has to pay closer attention to his emotions and that he's truly realizing what it means to be "the boy who lived". I think it's something that will pass, eventually, but it's an important aspect of Harry while it lasts.
ElvenMist
Hufflepuff Chaser

Postby Hermione » Monday 23 June 2003 8:29:15pm

I thought Harry being angry all the time was because Voldemort was possessing his mind. I don't know . . . maybe that a bit of Voldemort's qualities were infecting Harry? Maybe it's just me . . .
Hermione
Hogwarts Librarian and Resident Muse

Next

Return to The Books