Just a question

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

Just a question

Postby jodelientje » Monday 5 May 2003 5:50:36pm

Hi, I just joined this forum because I hope someone here might have a theory about something I don't really understand in the HP books. :)

In book 2, Lord Voldemeort claims to be Tom Riddle, and that he was 16 years old when he went to Hogwarts 50 years ago. He says his muggle father was also called Riddle and abandoned him and his mother before he was even born. Now, in book 4, the first chapter begins with the Riddle story, and states that 50 YEARS AGO all three Riddles were killed (Mr. Riddle, Mrs. Riddle and theit GROWN UP son: TOM). It also states that a stranger, a pale teenage boy with black hair, was seen the day of the killing.
I don't understand how this could be. Who is Lord Voldemort in this case? Is he the grown up son Tom Riddle (accurate according to name, but not according to age, timing, status etc) Or is he the teenage black-haired boy seen that day? But how can that be then? Did his father already have a son (and a wife) when Voldemort was conceived? :-? If this is true, who then is the other Tom Riddle or is he irrelevant? :???:
Maybe I've missed something and makes this a really stupid question, but please let me know what you think about this.
jodelientje
Squib

Postby Hermione » Monday 5 May 2003 7:22:56pm

I'm not sure if this'll help you, since I haven't really looked it over carefully, but I think it might.

http://broomsticksandowls.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=554&sid=74337e5644b840c76fbea39643f7331f
Hermione
Hogwarts Librarian and Resident Muse

Postby Scellanis » Monday 5 May 2003 9:06:30pm

Lord Voldemort is the pale teenage boy also know as Tom Riddle (the youngest) after leaving school he went and looked up his muggle father and killed him and his parents.
50 years ago from book four would be the time when voldemort leaves school....because book 4 is two years later than book 2 which states the voldemort was in 5th year exactly 50 years before book 2 is set.

the grown up son is Tom Riddle or voldemort's father

the two other Riddles are Voldemort's grandparents on his muggle father's side
Scellanis
Hufflepuff Prefect

Location: Pretending to be a sea slug with 'go faster' stripes...

Postby Neo » Tuesday 6 May 2003 4:17:09am

Yeah, it seems exactly what Sonkems says, Voldemort finishes school, seems at 17/18 and goes to kill his father, and by the way his grandparents.
Neo
Gryffindor Chaser and The Chosen One

Postby Neo » Tuesday 6 May 2003 4:19:07am

Wonder if we will know something about his mother, which was a witch. The book says she died shortly after he was borned, right? But what if she didn't die, what if she only left little Tom, and he was told his mother died.
Neo

Postby Holly Golightly » Tuesday 6 May 2003 7:42:10am

Interesting, but what would be the point of it? Would she be a good person, or bad? And why wouldnt she have shown herself before now?
Holly Golightly
Ravenclaw Chaser, Keeper of the Keys and Dancer of the Dances

Postby jodelientje » Tuesday 6 May 2003 2:41:40pm

Ok, thanks, now it makes a lot more sense :D (duhhh)

Why does everyone in that family have the same name? It's so confusing. The old man behind the bar at the Leaky Cauldron is also called Tom, by the way ( :o )
jodelientje
Squib

Postby Scellanis » Tuesday 6 May 2003 5:23:01pm

well, it is fifty years ago and they were muggles...and by the sound of it a pretty rich family....

it is quite common for people to be named after their parents or grand parents....i would have thought more common for a rich family to pass down a name....they are both the oldest/only sons arent they so they would inherit any family name if the family had that custom.
Scellanis
Hufflepuff Prefect

Location: Pretending to be a sea slug with 'go faster' stripes...

Postby MikeT » Tuesday 6 May 2003 6:44:01pm

I have the same name as my father
MikeT
The Eeking Snail

Postby Mint » Tuesday 6 May 2003 6:58:40pm

You know, i was also confused about that (Tom mentioning he killed his parents). So its his grandparents!!!! cool, that makes sence. :)

Thanks Sonkem, Neo.
Mint
Slytherin Prefect, Hogwarts Librarian and Milady of the Night

Location: Chasing evil duck commander Choki >:( on a chocobo!!!

Postby Sacred Guardian » Tuesday 6 May 2003 9:30:05pm

yes my name is the same as my dad's as well, though i don't think i'll kill him
Sacred Guardian
Hufflepuff Prefect, Hufflepuff Chaser and Hogwarts' Master of Secrets

Postby Neo » Wednesday 7 May 2003 3:36:04am

We hope so, you don't look that pyscho 12321.

Maybe Voldemort's mother lived enough to have another children, which noone knows about (since everyone thought she died after having Tom), and we wiil know anout him/her in next books.
Neo

Postby Holly Golightly » Wednesday 7 May 2003 12:09:55pm

I dont' know... I've never seen you 12321, but that pic under your name looks a little scary to me... :(

About Mrs Voldie ahvn't another child... hrmmm, who with? And anyways, I can't see it! Why would she have left little Voldie with an orphanage if she was still alive and well??? :-?
Holly Golightly

Postby Mint » Wednesday 7 May 2003 1:49:49pm

C - what does your pick mean? :???:

Maybe Voldemort's mother lived enough to have another children

I don't think so....that would ruin the whole "Voldemort/Harry are orphans and have no siblings " theme of the book. :P (you know, the fact that they have all this similar things).
Mint
Slytherin Prefect, Hogwarts Librarian and Milady of the Night

Location: Chasing evil duck commander Choki >:( on a chocobo!!!

Postby Holly Golightly » Wednesday 7 May 2003 2:05:49pm

Yeah, I really don't like the voldie's got siblings idea...
Holly Golightly

Next

Return to Theories