Disturbing Question

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Monday 9 January 2006 10:57:48am

Didn't they have Ginny with them though?
Phoenix in the Ashes
Guardian of the Vault, RPG Moderator and Slytherin Prefect

Postby Asphodel » Sunday 15 January 2006 8:06:42pm

Did they? They might've just met up with her eventually.
Asphodel
Head of the Department of Mysteries

Postby Bextra » Sunday 22 January 2006 6:31:14am

I think the book said that Fred or George grabbed Ginny by the arm and said c'mon Ginny. They didn't just simply run off when the DE's came either. They ran because Mr Weasley told them to.
Bextra
Flame Retardent Girl, With Attitude

Location: Sitting on the roof of the owlery playing the harmonica.

Postby Asphodel » Sunday 22 January 2006 6:54:33pm

I had just reread that bit, and I don't think it said that....
Asphodel

Postby ~Riley~ » Tuesday 24 January 2006 3:52:48am

That part of the book said: 'C'mon,' said Fred, grabbing Ginny's hand and starting to pull her towards the wood....
Then it continued and said a whole bunch of other things, but thats the main part.
~Riley~
First Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Tuesday 24 January 2006 8:19:05am

Ha, knew it...

To be honest i don't think anything really big happened there... involving them.
Phoenix in the Ashes

Postby Asphodel » Wednesday 25 January 2006 2:43:24am

Well, my version doesn't mention it, maybe I'm missing something....
Asphodel

Postby Bextra » Wednesday 25 January 2006 7:32:14am

What version do you have then?
Bextra
Flame Retardent Girl, With Attitude

Location: Sitting on the roof of the owlery playing the harmonica.

Postby ~Riley~ » Wednesday 25 January 2006 7:57:45am

Maybe Asphodel is just missing a page? Lol!
~Riley~

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Wednesday 25 January 2006 10:24:49am

Asphodel wrote:Well, my version doesn't mention it, maybe I'm missing something....

I think that unlikely.
Phoenix in the Ashes

Postby Asphodel » Wednesday 1 February 2006 1:22:28am

Yay!!! I found it!!!!!! *dances* I still think the time-turner thing possible. If a time-turner can go back in time, it should be able to freeze time, right? They could freeze time, leave Ginny their, meet their future selves, then come back.
Asphodel

Re: Disturbing Question

Postby uggy » Wednesday 1 February 2006 4:24:36pm

Phinea Rogue wrote:
DragonFiend17 wrote:In the fifth book, we all know the room with the Time-Turners right?? well when Sirius died, why didn't Harry--even Dumbledore--think of using one of them to save Sirius--to go back so that Harry and friends never went to the Ministry???

I believe that there are some rules for using the time turner, e.g. don't bring back the dead, don't change the future, don't let yourself be seen... To go back and change everything would probably create a lot of chaos.

Yes there are rules.

It is very complicated. Remember in Prisoner Of Azkaban, when hermione made sure that they werent seen. imagine if she was. Then it would definately change the future. They had to make it back to the place in which they first used the time turner by the time they had used it.

I told you it was complicated,
If sirius had been saved with a time turner then there would be no place for harry to go back to - meaning there would be two harrys.

VERY cimplicated
uggy

Re: Disturbing Question

Postby Jaikai » Saturday 5 August 2006 5:30:33am

DragonFiend17 wrote:In the fifth book, we all know the room with the Time-Turners right?? well when Sirius died, why didn't Harry--even Dumbledore--think of using one of them to save Sirius--to go back so that Harry and friends never went to the Ministry???

Someone's probably pointed this out already, but the stock supply of time turners were at the ministry, and as it is said later they destroyed them all in the fight. I suppose dumbledore or someone could have their own personal time turner, but that's just too twee and obvious... or maybe it's just me!

Also, I agree with what Phinea wrote about the fact that even time turners cannot bring back the dead...

Jaikai°
Jaikai
Squib

Postby annachie » Sunday 6 August 2006 12:06:12pm

Mistress Siana wrote:I completly agree. Ever since he saw Sirius captured, he wasn't in his right mind. He could have used his mirror to contact Sirius, and what did he do? He broke into Umbridge's office, tried to telepathically contact Snape and flew hundreds of miles to lead his friends into a Death Eater trap. If that is not beyond reason, what else is?

Yet annother reason to make me think that the mirror was an after thought by JK as a means to proove that Sirius was really dead.
annachie
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Mafalda Weasley » Wednesday 4 October 2006 9:27:49am

Time Turning is an extremely dangerous thing for a wizard to do. First of all, I don't think that thought of it even entered Harry's head because if it had, he wouldn't have cared about the rules or the consequences.

In Prisoner of Azkaban, Dumbledore suggested that they use the timeturner because Sirius didn't deserve to die. And he loathes Dementors and probably couldn't bear to have someone good like Sirius feeding them for however long his soul would've.

However, I think that in OotP, the Time Turners weren't used because Sirius had already died. He never died in PoA. It would interfere with the natural balance of the world if you could bring someone back by changing the time.

Dumbledore repeats this all throughout the books, telling Harry that his parents are gone and that nothing anyone could do was able to bring them back. Otherwise, wouldn't Dumbledore have used one to save James and Lily?

Also, you could argue, that Harry could've used a timeturner before Sirius died, go back into the past and then stop everyone from going. That would've looked good to everyone there. All of a sudden there's a second Harry.

Time Turners are a sticky issue, regarding their properties, moral consequences and their ability to intefere with the past, present and future. And sooner or later I'm just going to have to accept that some characters can be killed off.

Sorry for writing half a novel :D
Mafalda Weasley
Squib

PreviousNext

Return to Theories