DD's hand/arm

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Monday 14 November 2005 4:39:05am

Ah, when? Hands and fingers aren't mentioned all that much, so could you give us an example?
Phoenix in the Ashes
Guardian of the Vault, RPG Moderator and Slytherin Prefect

Postby Asphodel » Monday 14 November 2005 5:34:27am

It's mentioned that both Ollivander and Dumbledore have long fingers as well as several other times, it seems she's saying that wise people have long fingers. If you re-read the books looking for references to fingers, you'll find a ton.

:jump: A.F.D :jump:
Asphodel
Head of the Department of Mysteries

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Monday 14 November 2005 9:52:29am

If you scan the books looking for magic you'll probbaly find quite a few as well!
I think JKR just mention the fingers and nose and body parts so we can conjure own our mental image of the person in our head.
Phoenix in the Ashes

Postby Asphodel » Tuesday 15 November 2005 2:50:11am

Possibly, but I was reading this guide to Harry Potter, and they went through the books and there were a TON of finger things, way more than noses.

:jump: A.F.D :jump:
Asphodel

Postby Barny The Barn » Tuesday 15 November 2005 11:08:36am

OOh - where is that guide to HP? I'd like to have a read of that!
Barny The Barn
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby child of darkness » Monday 19 December 2005 8:05:30am

Me too! Any chance you could post teh link?
child of darkness
Seventh Year

Postby Asphodel » Monday 19 December 2005 3:49:23pm

It isn't a website, it's a book. You should be able to find it in a local bookstore. It goes through books 1-4 chapter by chapter. It is called "The Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter: Books 1-4"
Asphodel

Postby Bextra » Tuesday 27 December 2005 8:38:43am

I thought you could only put that ring on if you were a descendant of Slytherin? Coz LV is the only living one left. (I think?)
Bextra
Flame Retardent Girl, With Attitude

Location: Sitting on the roof of the owlery playing the harmonica.

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Tuesday 27 December 2005 9:56:03am

Alright.

The ring used to be Salazar's until he died, and so on and so forth, the ring was past from generation to generation right down the Slytherin line until it fell into the hands of the Gaunts.
When young Voldemort came across it visiting the Gaunt's home he found his uncle, the last Gaunt (excluding him), and stripped him of his ring. Voldemort then framed him for the murder of Tom Riddle Snr. and LV's grandparents. Before Dumbledore could save Gaunt he had died in Azkaban for those murders.

Lord Voldemort then used Slytherin's ring as a horcrux, and placed a piece of his soul inside it.

And in the House of Gaunt it remained until Dumbledore lost his hand/arm in order to strip the ring of its horcrux. He suceeded.
And within a year, Dumbledore died.
Phoenix in the Ashes

Postby Chimera » Saturday 31 December 2005 3:23:01pm

Slytherin does seem the type to put curses on his stuff, but I thought the ring was the Gaunts and the locket was Slytherins. Then again, Marvolo Gaunt was definitely in the same vein as Slytherin, what with considering muggles as scum. All the in-breeding probably addled the lot of em.
Chimera
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Asphodel » Saturday 31 December 2005 9:24:04pm

I'm not sure if there really are any more Slytherins left. The Gaunts were poor because he mentioned the Slytherin fortune ending up in different places because there were a lot of families related to Slytherin (well not a lot.... but you get what I mean) Probably those who had the original surname, Slytherin, would get most of the fortune.
Asphodel

Postby Snow_Crystal » Thursday 19 January 2006 3:56:02pm

Chimera wrote:Slytherin does seem the type to put curses on his stuff, but I thought the ring was the Gaunts and the locket was Slytherins. Then again, Marvolo Gaunt was definitely in the same vein as Slytherin, what with considering muggles as scum. All the in-breeding probably addled the lot of em.

I think both the locket and the ring belonged to the Gaunts and were both of Slytherin heritage. All the other Slytherin possessions had been sold off by their predecessors and that's why they were left poor.

I think the Gaunts were the last pureblood Slytherins. LV is the only Slytherin left as he killed his mother's brother (can't remember his name now!) and his mother and grandfather died.
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Previous

Return to The Books