Potion in the cave.

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

Postby Mint » Tuesday 9 August 2005 2:24:33am

I doubt that potion targeted love. Dumbledore said that Voldemort was very skeptical of love and never believed that its a "power".

I think that Voldemort would simply take muggle with him. The boat only registered magical powers and mugles have none. It could even be a child.

Also, I don't think Voldemort was really planning on coming back to retrieve the horcrux, as he did not think someone would actually find it.
Mint
Slytherin Prefect, Hogwarts Librarian and Milady of the Night

Location: Chasing evil duck commander Choki >:( on a chocobo!!!

Postby dibble2 » Tuesday 9 August 2005 3:08:49am

That's true, of course. He could have left a dangerous potion as a trap, thinking he'd never need to come back. I think we all assumed he'd return to check on it because R.A.B. wrote the note like he would.
dibble2
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Snow_Crystal » Tuesday 9 August 2005 9:54:18am

The thing is we don't know what happened in that cave.. The lady at the orphanage said something happened because they weren't all the same when they come back. Something significant happened there that made LV treasure that cave.
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby Phaerie » Tuesday 9 August 2005 12:12:30pm

We don't even know if the potion that Dumbledore drank was the same one that Voldemort left there. After all the mysterious RAB has been there since. The original potion may have been more/less toxic.. I would have thought Voldemort would have left somethingmuch more incapacitating than what dumbledore experienced. As dumbledore said Voldemort would be curius as to who had found the Horcrux and how and why. And although Inferi cqan do your bidding i'm not sure whether they could tell you what had happened in their life..
Phaerie
Princess of Rainbows, Moonlight Dreamer and Gryffindor Prefect

Location: Doing double backs on a trampoline and scaring her spotters!

Postby dibble2 » Wednesday 10 August 2005 12:55:45am

the thing about the potion is, I imagine Voldemort would have set it up so it couldn't be tampered with. It probably wouldn't be too hard for him, so R.A.B. might not have been able to replace it.
dibble2
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Mint » Wednesday 10 August 2005 3:35:14am

Then after they got the locket out was the potion refilled? Because if RAB got it out (pendant), how did he put it back in...
Mint
Slytherin Prefect, Hogwarts Librarian and Milady of the Night

Location: Chasing evil duck commander Choki >:( on a chocobo!!!

Postby Snow_Crystal » Wednesday 10 August 2005 12:13:00pm

He may have changed the charm on it.
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby Fantasy girl » Wednesday 10 August 2005 2:44:52pm

what if dd saw the children vd had taken innto the cave, and dd was trying to protect them from vd. do you think its possible :???:
Fantasy girl
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Snow_Crystal » Wednesday 10 August 2005 3:26:01pm

Nah!! The only reason DD knew about the cave was because he spoke with the orphanage lady. The cave incident was before Tom knew he was a wizard

Which begs the question, why didn't the MoM know about it if indeed Tom did perform unorthodox magic in that cave? Do you actually have to be in a building for them to know? I remember DD saying to Harry that the MoM don't know who's performed magic and they rely on parents to enforce it.

By the way, I think he said this to encourage Harry to use underage magic if he ever needed it in a particular situation...in the next book I reckon he's bound to...
Snow_Crystal

Postby Lelie » Wednesday 10 August 2005 4:56:44pm

the mom probably new about tom's magic; they of course knew he was a wizard. they don't seem to be in the habit of sending owls to wizards before they are 11, like harry growing his hair overnight (still makes me wonder about the metamorphmagus thing...) and neville bouncing. they haven't cast any spells, they are just inherently magical.
perhaps whatever was in the basin in the cave was meant to be sort of like a virtual reality boggart? maybe it cripples a person by making them "live" their worst fears. dd seemed to be wanting to protect something, and i assume that it was students at hogwarts, or maybe harry, lily and james on halloween at godric's hollow. if voldemort tried to drink it then he would be driven insane at the thought of being dead or someone else being in power over him.
Lelie
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Fantasy girl » Wednesday 10 August 2005 6:12:05pm

alright so it was a bit far fetched
Fantasy girl
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby SunsetG|rl » Wednesday 10 August 2005 9:36:19pm

considering that the potion in the cave was supposed to bring the worst fears to the surface then i think we should assume that LV didn't actually put the potion there. (probably rab). LV doesn't seem the kind of person that would do harm to himself...and picture LV seeing death in front of him (we'll probably see this in the 7'th book)...he'll go insane...so this must rab's work.or if the potion is only meant to make u see people suffering...then it should be a pleasure for LV. but why couldn't rab know how to make the potion, and after taking the horcrux, he just replaced it...after all i don't se LV as a powerfull potion maker, and keeping the secret to himself...he likes to show off...and if rab was a close friend ...he probably knew how to make it.

and as far as "why didn't mom noticed LV doing the spell in the cave"-thing...well picture mom carefully watching all that do spells all over the world...that would be a blast.they must have better things to do.and if you are a wizard. would you actually like mom knowing all the spells you do? i would consider it violation of privacy. and plus there must be ways to hide yourself (spells and stuff)
SunsetG|rl
Moon Bunny Chaser

Postby Salazar Slytherin » Monday 15 August 2005 12:56:01pm

i think LV had a potion in there for which he kept the antidote incase he needed to move it and when R.A.B. came in he switched the potion with a deadlier one so that when LV came back to get the horcrux the potion would posion him.
Salazar Slytherin
Founder of Slytherin, Death Eater and Owner of Robert The Muggle Eating Dragon

Postby Salazar Slytherin » Monday 15 August 2005 12:56:41pm

woops didnt no wat the blue box did i just reported my own post
:lol:
Salazar Slytherin
Founder of Slytherin, Death Eater and Owner of Robert The Muggle Eating Dragon

Postby Gwared » Monday 15 August 2005 1:53:34pm

It's OK...it's all been sorted :D
Gwared
Gryffindor Prefect, Landlord of the Three Broomsticks and Common Welsh Green Dragon Keeper

PreviousNext

Return to Theories