horcruxes

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

Postby Phaerie » Tuesday 9 August 2005 12:19:55pm

Snowy wrote:I think he's already used the horcrux of Nagini...

Surely the bit of soul used when he had his rebirth was teh bit that got ripped from his body when he tried to kill Harry. Which was hiding out in Albania possessing snakes etc till Wormtail found him.

Nagani wasn't made a Horcrux theoretically untill GoF when the gardner (whos name i can't remember) was killed on investigating lights in the riddle house. Hence there must have been a part of Voldemorts soul available already to create another horcrux- hence he wouldn't have needed it for his rebirth.
Phaerie
Princess of Rainbows, Moonlight Dreamer and Gryffindor Prefect

Location: Doing double backs on a trampoline and scaring her spotters!

Postby darkcloak » Tuesday 9 August 2005 2:31:17pm

So if he didn't have seven horcruxes before he killed Harry (hence his use of the gardner in GoF) why is Dumbledore so sure that he has seven even now?

Perhaps during one of the disappearances or killings in HBP, Voldemort made his seventh horcrux e.g. Amelia Bones or Olivander?

Or perhaps he will create another one in the 7th book?
darkcloak
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Froggs » Tuesday 9 August 2005 3:19:15pm

That's whats so confusing, not even DD was sure what the horcruxes were, but he was pretty confident that there were six items used. Personally, I think that there will not be a Gryffinder (sp?) horcrux. I think he will be the founder whose objects remain untainted. So in my mind, it makes sense that each of the other founders will have an object used as a horcrux, Of course we already know Slytherins object, we have a good idea about Hufflepuff and I have a feeling we have already been introduced to the Ravenclaw object, but don't know it!
Froggs
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby crystallised_pineapple » Tuesday 9 August 2005 3:22:50pm

yeah i agree froggs, gryffindor was always the one who thwarted slytherin when they argued and as a result making him leave the school. surely his things would not be used as he represents so much good to harry.

i'm sure there will be something in one of the other books that will have been used as a horcrux... i think i will go back and read them over again to see...
crystallised_pineapple
Queen of The Pixies

Location: three broomsticks :D surrounded by empty butterbeer bottles...he he

Postby Snow_Crystal » Tuesday 9 August 2005 10:47:10pm

Hi crystallised_pineapple - haven't seen you in ages! Pleased you're back!

I am totally bewildered by all this horcrux business, Froggs is right, it's just too confusing!
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby Phaerie » Tuesday 9 August 2005 11:46:43pm

I think Dumbledore thinks that Voldemort planned 7 Horcruxes as 7 is meant to be a powerful magic number. ANd Voldemort craves power.
Phaerie
Princess of Rainbows, Moonlight Dreamer and Gryffindor Prefect

Location: Doing double backs on a trampoline and scaring her spotters!

Postby Dutchess42 » Wednesday 10 August 2005 12:25:34am

Froggs wrote: I have a feeling we have already been introduced to the Ravenclaw object, but don't know it!

I agree. Rowling did say a careful reader of the books would come up with at least one other horcrux within the week. It will be something we've seen.

(That's what I love about her writing. She's honest. - not like David Lynch who will bring an unknown in as the killer at the last scene - aaargh)
Dutchess42
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Snow_Crystal » Wednesday 10 August 2005 11:39:16am

Someone mentioned the Ravenclaw desk in DD's office but I don't think so somehow because I don't believe anyone's died at Hogwarts before. Wouldn't they have noticed if it had a charm on it to protect it by now?

Also we think he intended to create 7 but we don't know if that 7 includes/excludes the bit inside him or not.

And we don't know if he managed to create 7 or not. One of them was supposedly intended to be created the night when he tried to kill Harry. But we cannot confirm it was actually made.
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby Froggs » Wednesday 10 August 2005 2:55:58pm

When did Riddle open the Chamber of Secrets, before or after he talked to Slughorn?
Froggs
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Snow_Crystal » Wednesday 10 August 2005 3:12:22pm

Hmm that's tricky, I'm not sure.

In CoS, it was opened 50 years ago.
In HBP the potions book was 50 years old

That's the only information I have. It's a bit difficult because we don't know whether JKR uses the "50 years ago" description very loosely.

I feel that it was about the same time though.
Snow_Crystal

Postby Froggs » Wednesday 10 August 2005 3:21:43pm

So, maybe the first horcrux was made using Moaning Myrtle's death. That gives Riddle/LV access to Hogwarts to choose his object. Does anything sound like it could fit a horcrux descritpion in that secret room for hiding things?
Froggs
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Snow_Crystal » Wednesday 10 August 2005 3:35:13pm

Good Theory!! Never thought of that - Moaning Myrtle!! Brilliant.

The thing is, I reckon it is more likely that the diary was created at that point as he preserved his 15 year old self at that point. The only other things mentioned (on this site) at Hogwarts that could be horcruxes was the Ravenclaw Desk or the Gryffindor Sword.

I really don't think it's either of these though, I can't believe DD would not have enchantments on his own room so how would Tom have been able to have access to them. Surely you must have to have the item at least within sight when creating a horcrux?
Snow_Crystal

Postby Lelie » Wednesday 10 August 2005 4:50:33pm

i'm not sure that moaning myrtle bit is possible. technically, tom riddle didn't kill moaning myrtle, the basilisk did. also, if he was fifteen he would have been a fifth year, maybe a sixth year. he didn't know about horcruxes until his seventh year. so, i doubt he could have made one while he was at hogwarts. now, maybe when he came back the second time to try to get a job he could have, but i think dumbledore would have noticed a charm on his desk. he does seem to have sensed these things.
Lelie
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Snow_Crystal » Wednesday 10 August 2005 4:54:47pm

The basilisk followed Tom's orders though I think? I don't know this whole timeline thing has really got me stumped. I really hope she clarifies it all at some point, for me it's just holding itself up.
Snow_Crystal

Postby crystallised_pineapple » Wednesday 10 August 2005 7:24:31pm

hey snowy... i've been on holiday and just got back yesterday :(

i really think there has to be at least one horcrux at hogewarts, i mean LV is really attached to the place, maybe someone put it there after it became a horcrux (like snape if he is bad, or someone else.. i dunno) maybe theres something else of ravenclaws in hogwarts....
crystallised_pineapple
Queen of The Pixies

Location: three broomsticks :D surrounded by empty butterbeer bottles...he he

PreviousNext

Return to The Books