horcruxes

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

Postby Froggs » Wednesday 3 August 2005 2:31:45am

Here's why I don't think Harry is a Horcrux, JKR would need to pull a fast one in order to make that work. A Horcrux is created when a murder is committed and when a certain spell is said. Granted, LV may have said the spell before trying to kill HP, but we know HP wasn't killed, and neither was LV. JKR will have to fudge the facts a bit to make it work, and I don't think she will do that. The only anomoly in her books is that HP survived the killing curse, everything else she pretty much sticks to the way it is originally described. We never find out the Polyjuice potion suddenly has properties that it didn't have before, or that the mirror of erised is really a gateway to heaven or some such thing. I think it would be tacky to make HP a horcrux, simply because the definition of a horcrux, and how it is made, will have to be tampered with.
Froggs
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Tanuki » Wednesday 3 August 2005 3:23:42am

We are assuming that Harry is a horcrux in the traditional sense or any of that. Yes,creating a traditional horcrux requires the spell and the murder, but things were already different there.

1) the requirement for murder was more than satisfied when he killed Lilly and James. I think that fills the quota for murders to make a Horcrux

2) the protection on Harry made something happen that wasn't supposed to. Any number of things could have happened in the time the spell connected and Voldermort was shoved out of his body. For one thing, with his soul already split, the loose part of his soul could have passed into harry through the spell that backfired. No one knows what happens when Aveda Kadaveda fails,it's never happened before.

3) Harry is probably not a horcrux in the traditional sense; think of the powers he has and everything he got from Voldermort. How did it get in Harry? It got in through the spell that failed, therfore, it might have come attached to something like a chunk of Voldermort's soul. See point 1, the murder requirement was met therefore the spare bit of soul was free to move along any magical conduit attached to voldermort at the time; so when he lost control of his power, he lost control of where the soul moved and it passed into poor Harry, giving him power and sealing his fate

Harry no unmei... fuuin! (destiny of harry...sealed!)

NOW.. THIS MIRROR SIRIUS LEFT HARRY MAY BE A HORCRUX.. by the way she speaks [or someone speaks for her =)] its seems that the mirror is really important and it didn't appear in book 6, so it has to do in the 7.. just guessing it might have that purpose.

Or worse, Harry looks into it during the final fight (or before) and realizes the scar on his forehead means he;s the horcrux
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby annachie » Wednesday 3 August 2005 12:06:24pm

Froggs wrote:The only anomoly in her books is that HP survived the killing curse,

You're kidding right? Some of the holes will fit a dragon.
Fred and George ask if they can join the OotP. Mrs. Weasley says no they're not adults etc. So they just annoy everybody with their Apparating. OotP somewhere. HBP, they guys take their apparition test on or after their 17th birthday, at which, we are also told in that book, they are considered adults in the wizarding world.

If Fred and George are not adults then they are not old enough to have taken the apparition test, but they have taken it so they are adults.

Sorry, but that's just one glaring example. The communication mirror is annother obvious hole. It gives every appearance of being tacked on at the end of the writing to show Harry that Sirrius is really dead, and reference to it inserted into earlier parts of the text. If it had been planned from the start, surely Sirrius would have told Harry to use it instead of risking capture playing around with fire (Pun intended). So JKR is going to make use of it, no doubt it wont be the first plot device to grow wings and live beyond it's scope.
annachie
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby selene » Wednesday 3 August 2005 1:18:20pm

i seem to remember sirius telling harry to use it in times of need, but he didn't tell harry what is was and how to use it. that was explained on a a note in the package with the mirror.
but harry, been stubborn as always, is determined not to use it and tucks it away in his trunk and forgets it.

maybe the mirrors turns up in book 7, harry and ron each having one .
i'm just thinking out loud here
selene
Collector of Books and Knowledge

Location: living in aunt maharet's library, watching the stack of books i want to read grow bigger and bigger

Postby Lelie » Wednesday 3 August 2005 3:27:34pm

i'm not sure about the harry/ron part, but i'm pretty sure those mirrors will turn up again. permit me to again direct you to the tlc/mn interview with jkr. she wont answer anything about the mirrors. clearly, something is up, or she'd just say "oh, yeah, they really aren't anything."
Lelie
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby selene » Wednesday 3 August 2005 4:34:11pm

i was just thinking and i said maybe
i also read the interview (a couple times), that's why i was gessing about how they would be used

:roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
selene
Collector of Books and Knowledge

Location: living in aunt maharet's library, watching the stack of books i want to read grow bigger and bigger

Postby horcrux hunter911 » Wednesday 3 August 2005 5:51:12pm

didnt he break the mirror at the end of ootp when he found out he couldnt talk to sirius and threw it into his trunk
horcrux hunter911
Second Year

Postby Person1 » Wednesday 3 August 2005 6:07:25pm

horcrux hunter911 wrote:didnt he break the mirror at the end of ootp when he found out he couldnt talk to sirius and threw it into his trunk

Yes, indeed he did.
Person1
Creator of realities unknown

Postby Froggs » Thursday 4 August 2005 2:22:32am

Responding to the Fred and George "anomonly" post-
OotP
page 90
George Weasley- "We're of age!
page 91
Mr Weasley "They are of age-" and later "But they're legally adults now" referring of course to Fred and George.

So honestly, I don't know what the heck you are talking about. Fred and George were obviously 17, they had passed their apparating test and were considered legal adults in the wizarding world. What other anomolies do you find, I am happy to dispute those as well.
Froggs
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Dutchess42 » Thursday 4 August 2005 5:10:59am

Responding to the Harry is a horcrux notion:

Dumbledore said he thought Voldemort was going to make the last Horcrux from Harry's death but that obviously didn't work. So V wouldn't have been prepared to make Harry a horcrux because he would have needed to know that he was going to do that when he killed Lily.

Besides, I don't know that it would make much sense for V to make a horcrux out of Harry anyway.
Dutchess42
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Thursday 4 August 2005 9:07:37am

As we said, he probably didn't intend to make Harry an accident. Nobody knows what happens when Avada Kedavra fails, because it's never happened before.
We have already been told, however vaguely, that Voldemort intended the murder of Harry to go towards the making of one of his horcruxes.
Phoenix in the Ashes
Guardian of the Vault, RPG Moderator and Slytherin Prefect

Postby Scarlet Lioness » Thursday 4 August 2005 9:30:57am

Voldy definately intended for Harry to help in making one of his horcruxes but it didn't work because he didn't kill something...so therefore Harry can't be one of the horcruxes...or maybe he is and we dont know :???: :???: :???: I'm confusing myself...
Scarlet Lioness
Keeper of the Claws, Co-Owner of the Juice Bar and Prefect of Gryffindor

Postby Hagger 9003 » Thursday 4 August 2005 9:58:26am

ok, a couple more thoughts about harry as a horcrux...
maybe this is possible. but, remember the prophecy. "either must die at the hand of the other". it has to come true, not because its a prophecy, but because harry will not rest if he doesnt do so.

now, if harry is a horcrux, he would have to destroy the soul within him to kill voldemort. OR not.... if you think about it, how will he kill voldie after destroying the soul within himself. how can voldie die at the hand of another when that hand is capable of nothing? seems impossible.

but, think about it this way. if harry is a horcrux, and then destroys all other horcruxes including voldie, then the only part of voldies soul left will be in harry. now, remember, DD said that a pure, untarnished soul is much more powerful than a fragmented one. especially one part of a fragmented one. so, voldie will end up trying to possess harry, and probably failing, dying, maybe bringing hary with him. does that satisfy people?
Hagger 9003
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Thursday 4 August 2005 10:17:59am

[To Hagger] Harry would have to remove the horcrux inside him first - then destroy it... Not likey, but still...
[To weasley_gurl] As I think Tanuki said earlier, I think James And Lily more-or-less count as murders. He just would of preferred Harry.
Phoenix in the Ashes
Guardian of the Vault, RPG Moderator and Slytherin Prefect

Postby Hagger 9003 » Thursday 4 August 2005 11:57:16am

it sounds quite hard to remove a trapped piece of soul within you. DD did it, and look what happened to him. permanent injury, and near death, saved by snape. harry is a kid, and not that powerful. but, if you think about it, voldie was planning on creating another horcrux, but he wasnt planning on harry. what is this other horcrux? maybe he used this one. i know it was replaced by nagini, but i was thinking... i think it was something to do with gryffindor. its at a place called godrics hollow, and we know that there will b something of either ravenclaws or gryffindors. what if he had one of both? its just an idea. then, that would mean that one of the horcruxes is from ravenclaw, and that either he has an artifact from gryffindor, or it got left behind at godric's hollow. maybe harry will get this artifact, and use it in his fight against voldie.

anyway, back on topic, voldie cannot bear prolonged contact with harry's soul. so how would he manage to put a horcrux in there in the first place? sorry, this has just crossed and changed my mind. it would then be almost impossible for harry 2 b a horcrux
Hagger 9003
Fully Qualified Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to The Books