horcruxes

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

Postby Tanuki » Friday 29 July 2005 3:24:29pm

Let's see now, who would betray Voldermort at the end, as soon as Harry is out of the way

Snape - if he is indeed one of the good guys

Draco - why live in fear when you can kill your tormentor; now you;re the biggest bully

Wormtail - Why not try to play the hero and try to get in with teh good guys
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby Dutchess42 » Friday 29 July 2005 4:17:17pm

All possible
But:

That would be an unlikely thing to happen in a hero quest. Rowling has been (with the exception of too much deus-ex-machina) right on target in the hero quest tradition which requires the hero to prevail until the opponent is vanquished. The hero may die whilst killing the opponent though.
Dutchess42
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Tanuki » Saturday 30 July 2005 12:40:33am

Or he can die, and his actions end the life of his opponent
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby Dutchess42 » Saturday 30 July 2005 2:38:12am

Tanuki wrote:Or he can die, and his actions end the life of his opponent

I don't quite get that one. Example?
Dutchess42
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Tanuki » Saturday 30 July 2005 1:34:24pm

Harry dies, and through a series of events caused specifically by his death, Voldermort dies... or when Harry dies, there is nothing holding Voldermort to this world and he simply dies
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby Dutchess42 » Saturday 30 July 2005 1:44:00pm

Well okay I could see that. A dark ending indeed, and possible. But I'd bet against it based on the way Rowling seems to view things.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Dutchess42
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Lelie » Saturday 30 July 2005 11:10:41pm

well, the only way that seems possible is if harry is a horcrux. i just don't buy that theory yet. i'll need alot more evidence. why would voldemort keep trying to kill something carrying his own soul!?
Lelie
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Tanuki » Sunday 31 July 2005 1:59:54am

He doesn't know.. no one knows. Harry will only figure it out at the last second of the fight
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby dibble2 » Sunday 31 July 2005 2:23:35am

There's probably a way to tell if something is a horcrux; some sort of test or something. If there is, Dumbledore might have already checked Harry out. Then again, he might not have thought of it. Maybe he didn't have the horcrux theory yet, or maybe it was just too strange a circumstance for him to think of.
dibble2
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby pheonixrising » Sunday 31 July 2005 7:10:14pm

i think the locket is in either in kreatures posseon or still in the black house
pheonixrising
Fourth Year

Postby thestral » Sunday 31 July 2005 10:24:19pm

i think mundungus swiped it and that there will be a scramble to get it back. why else would JK include that bit with mundungus if not to set up that the locket has been sold on?
thestral
Rogue auror, avenger of lost souls

Postby Lelie » Sunday 31 July 2005 10:26:34pm

i just re-read that portion of OoTP where the locket is mentioned. it almost sounds as if they *gasp* threw it away. surely not!!! :eek:
Lelie
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Snow_Crystal » Monday 1 August 2005 5:59:49pm

the_truth_hurts wrote:i just re-read that portion of OoTP where the locket is mentioned. it almost sounds as if they *gasp* threw it away. surely not!!! :eek:

Yes but you obviously didn't read 6 lines later... "Several times Kreacher sidled into the room and attempted to smuggle things away under his loincloth..."

It is more likely that Kreacher has it stored somewhere or that Mundungus found, stole and sold it.
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby aGs! » Wednesday 3 August 2005 12:19:56am

READ THIS FIRST [found in some official JKR page]:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why did Harry have to forget the mirror he had been given by Sirius in 'Order of the Phoenix'?

I can’t give a full answer to this, because it is relevant to books six and seven. However, the short answer is that Harry was determined never to use the mirror, as is clearly stated in chapter 24: ‘he knew he would never use whatever it was’. For once in Harry’s life, he does not succumb to curiosity, he hides the mirror and the temptation away from himself, and then, when it might have been useful, he has forgotten it.

The mirror might not have helped as much as you think, but on the other hand, will help more than you think. You’ll have to read the final books to understand that!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOW.. THIS MIRROR SIRIUS LEFT HARRY MAY BE A HORCRUX.. by the way she speaks [or someone speaks for her =)] its seems that the mirror is really important and it didn't appear in book 6, so it has to do in the 7.. just guessing it might have that purpose.

Agus :D
aGs!
Muggle

The 7 Count down

Postby Pygmy Puff » Wednesday 3 August 2005 2:12:21am

1.) T.R. Diary, status: destroyed
2.) SS. Ring, status: destroyed
3.) SS Locket, status: presumably destroyed by RAB (Regulus Black, my bet). The locket at the Black house has no mention of the SS snake on it that was said to be on it... but Harry better check it out for sure (probably nicked by Kretcher and then Mundungus...)

the remaining 4
4.) something at Godric's Hollow, as a symbol of his fall, possibly Harry's scar ("scars are useful" -DD. could it be removed? DD didn't think it would be a good idea to get rid of it- could prove useful)
5.) Nagani, Voldy's most faithful companion
6. Helga Hufflepuff's treasure that T.R. stole
7. ? theorize: Pettigrew's hand, something at Hogwarts. Liked the Bellatrix suggestion

I like that Voldy would have chosen items from 4 founding members and created Nagani on purpose and Harry by accident

Once the Horcurx is destroyed so is that part of the soul, Harry must find and destroy the rest in book 7 before challanging Voldy.

I also think the prophecy could mean that both must die
Pygmy Puff
Muggle

PreviousNext

Return to The Books