Book 7: Unfinished Business & Explanations You Would Want Revealed .. JKR Please take note

Which one is your favorite so far. Are they getting even better as the characters develop over time?

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Mint, Simatra, Asphodel, Athena Appleton

Re: Book 7: Unfinished Business.. JKR Please, please take no

Postby Snow_Crystal » Thursday 28 July 2005 5:44:14pm

Mr3d wrote:
Snowy wrote:2) Mr and Mrs Evans - Harry's grandparents on Lily's side but then also Harry's grandparents on James's side - Mr and Mrs Potter. They were pure-bloods were they not? Did James have any brothers and sisters? Did Mr and Mrs Potter have any brothers and sisters? Does harry have any surviving wizard/witch relatives as a result?

jkr wrote:MA: What about Harry's family — his grandparents — were they killed?

JKR: No. This takes us into more mundane territory. As a writer, it was more interesting, plot-wise, if Harry was completely alone. So I rather ruthlessly disposed of his entire family apart from Aunt Petunia. I mean, James and Lily are massively important to the plot, of course, but the grandparents? No. And, because I do like my backstory: Petunia and Lily's parents, normal Muggle death. James's parents were elderly, were getting on a little when he was born, which explains the only child, very pampered, had-him-late-in-life-so-he's-an-extra-treasure, as often happens, I think. They were old in wizarding terms, and they died. They succumbed to a wizarding illness. That's as far as it goes. There's nothing serious or sinister about those deaths. I just needed them out of the way so I killed them.

I recommend you read the whole interview as it is very interesting.
Link->The Leaky Cauldron

Hi Mr3D

Yeah I spotted this interview on the mugglenet website after I posted my message. This interview was released on Friday wasn't it.

Shaark wrote:the worst thing that could possibly happen is either:
None of these things get explained.
or
JK Rowling dies (knock wood)

I'm secretly hoping that JKR will hear about threads like this so that she see what people want answering in her last book. That way she can tell us either thru her website or in the books themselves.

God forbid the latter one though not even her husband knows about how it ends.
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby annachie » Thursday 28 July 2005 11:31:07pm

I remember reading somewehre that she says that the last chapter of the last book is already written and under lock and key somewhere so I supose if she where to die we could at least find out how it ends, though not how we get there.
annachie
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Froggs » Friday 29 July 2005 1:51:20am

annachie wrote:I remember reading somewehre that she says that the last chapter of the last book is already written and under lock and key somewhere so I supose if she where to die we could at least find out how it ends, though not how we get there.

well, I don't know about everyone else, but I'm comforted ;)
Froggs
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby menotyoo » Friday 29 July 2005 3:10:03am

Hey, what about Voldemort's wand? I mean, a theroy has arisen that we don't know what happened to DD's wand either, and that this points to him being alive, so I think this point is key. The song that Hagrid and Sluggy sing talks about snapping a wizard's wand at his funeral and burying it with him, or at least it seems that way, so there lies my question: What happened to LV's wand when he was hit w/ the killing curse? We know it survived and fell into Wormtail's hands because when it backfired when facing Harry, his parents came out, and this only happened because they both had phoenix cores, so it IS LV's original wand. So what happened to LV's body when he "died"? In the GOF movie promo pictures, we see Harry in front of Tom Marvolo Riddle's tombstone, so maybe his body was found and buried with his muggle father and grandparents. I don't think it ever said this in the book....
Maybe when Harry visits Godric's hollow he'll meet some witnesses (JKR hints at this in an interview) and they'll explain the post attack. ie, Potters' bodies, LV's body, wands, etc.
Oh, and JKR said it was important that LV was in the form of a baby in GOF, so she'll obviously need to explain that!
menotyoo
Sixth Year

Location: Durvish and Banges, Knockturn Alley, London, England, Europe, Earth

Postby Phoenix in the Ashes » Friday 29 July 2005 6:57:06am

It was important he was in the form of a baby? But he hadn't really taken back his old form yet at that stage, so the baby must have been someone's, right?
Whos is it, someone we know, possibly? I think he'd refuse a common muggle household's child.
But maybe I'm down the right track...
Phoenix in the Ashes
Guardian of the Vault, RPG Moderator and Slytherin Prefect

Postby Tanuki » Friday 29 July 2005 2:48:51pm

1) There was someoen else at Godrick's hollow. that person maybe took the wand, and later on returned it... like Pettigrewperhaps, or maybe he stole it from that person

2) the body Voldermort used in GoF was somethign he made using a potion with some of nagini's venom and a few other things. That's why he was so snakelike
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby annachie » Friday 29 July 2005 3:25:40pm

Actually, after HBP I wondered if LV had to use the soul fragment in Nagini (assuming one was there) to bring himself back properly. IE: He actually destroyed the soul part he was using in trying to kill bub-Harry. Hence the need for venom.
annachie
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Tanuki » Friday 29 July 2005 3:35:25pm

I don't think Nagini was alive all those years ago to have been made a horcrux before GoF
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby Snow_Crystal » Friday 29 July 2005 4:58:51pm

I have unfinished business with Nagini - how long do snakes live? When did LV first have Nagini. If it was before he lost his body who looked after Nagini?

we have got to find out what is worse than Death as DD puts it in OOTP... Why does he think that there are things worse than death and what could they be. I thought DD had died but after reading www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com I am now feeling very uncertain about it.

Also I want clarification on Sirius's mirror now. Can Harry go back to Grimauld Place to find Sirius's mirror (Harry broke his own didn't he so there must be another) and who will he be able to talk to through that mirror? Will be interesting - I wonder if he might be able to talk to Regulas...
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby Froggs » Friday 29 July 2005 6:39:56pm

I think what is worse than death in DD's mind, is turning to evil, killing others, and tearing your soul apart. As for the grave in GOF, that belonged to Tom Riddle SR., the father of LV. I think that Nagini met LV when he was hiding in the forest, she has become more than just a snake due to LV's magic so I don't think regular lifespans apply to her.
Froggs
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby menotyoo » Friday 29 July 2005 7:54:55pm

Right, I was pretty sure that in the book it was just LV's grandparents and father's tombstones, but I saw a picture on theleakycauldron.com and it had Harry in front of Tom Marvolo Riddle's headstone. So either they made a BIG mistake and assumed either that LV WAS buried there, and JKR doesn't plan for him to have been buried, or they just messed up and thought his father had the exact same name. I doubt it is a mistake, though, and maybe the director asked JKR if LV's grave would be there, and she said "yes".
menotyoo
Sixth Year

Postby Froggs » Friday 29 July 2005 8:04:56pm

No way, that is just WRONG! I can't believe that JKR would add something that huge, I mean, nothing like that was ever implied in GoF!!!

<wanders off muttering to herself>
Froggs
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby menotyoo » Saturday 30 July 2005 12:41:36am

If you are saying that I am wrong, well, here is a link to the picture: http://www.hogwarts-gallery.org/hogwartsgallery/picture.php?cat=165&image_id=4146&expand=161,165,161

So clearly something is up. Either a movie mistake (like James being Chaser in the movie, along with plenty others. Or They asked and JKR told them to put LV's name there. I mean, you see the same picture I do, I just don't know what it means! I hope it is explained in book seven.
JKR has really refined the plot in the later books, so now she needs to go back and put some of the blurry parts of earlier books or pre-earlier book events. I mean, I like the idea that a muggle found a wand and kept it, or another witch, and they may have had their memory modified, but they kept the wand. Then, yes, I think wormtail must have gone and taken it....but this can't just be implied!
menotyoo
Sixth Year

Postby Tanuki » Saturday 30 July 2005 12:47:29am

Oh wow, the movie Schewes from the book. how shocking. We should totally not be surprised. I think the director stopped reading the books, so lets ignore that picture
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby Froggs » Saturday 30 July 2005 2:10:04am

menotyoo- I was not saying you were wrong, I was saying that adding that bit of info to a movie was wrong as in...not right. Ya know? :-?
Froggs
Fully Qualified Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to The Books