What MUST Happen in Book 7?

A place to discuss your Harry Potter theories. Are there hidden secrets and conspiracies? What will happen in future plots? The truth may be in here!

Moderators: Nightcrawler, Scarlet Lioness, FawkesthePhoenix, Lone_Buck, paintballdecoy

What MUST Happen in Book 7?

Postby gadfly22 » Wednesday 20 July 2005 9:04:09pm

I'm trying to work backwards here to some reasonable theories about Book 7. What absolutely MUST happen? That means we have to whittle any assumptions down to virtually nothing. So, what must happen?

1. Voldemort must be utterly and completely destroyed. The only assumption here is that JKR will opt NOT to write the darkest, most pessimistic book for primarily young readers ever.

2. For Voldy to be vanquished, the remaining horcruxes must be found and destroyed -- and there are (presumably) 4 of them stowed in safe places.

3. Because of the multiple horcruxes stored in multiple locations, Book 7 will need to range over a wider geography than any previous book and be much less tied to Hogwarts.

4. The identity of "R.A.B" will be revealed, and that person will be someone known to Voldy (because you don't write a gloat note to someone and sign it only with initials if the target of the note won't know who those initials belong to).

5. Pettigrew will have a role in Voldy's downfall (per the clear portent in GoF), on the theory that intentionally loose ends must be tied up somehow (the "Loose Ends Theory").

6. Info being withheld by the Dursleys will be revealed (also by the Loose Ends Theory).

Where does all this lead? I dunno. But there must be more of these items and more inferences that can be drawn from them.
gadfly22
Second Year

Postby Fweegal » Thursday 21 July 2005 9:18:41am

Maybe Petunia's a Squib.
Fweegal
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby thestral » Thursday 21 July 2005 11:07:11am

that's what i always speculated. but i don't know. maybe it would explain exactly just why she was SO jealous of lily's ability to do magic. i think being a squib would be horrible. being privy to this whole other wolrd, but not being able to really be part of it. which is maybe why petunia worked so hard to deny the existence of the world at all. if you know there's chocolates in the cupboard, you put them out of your sight and try to forget about them cos you can't have them...
thestral
Rogue auror, avenger of lost souls

Postby Snow_Crystal » Thursday 21 July 2005 11:10:58am

I think the reason Petunia was so jealous of Lily was because their parents were so proud to have a witch in the family - Philosophers Stone but it could be more.
Snow_Crystal
Supreme Chancellor of the Gryffindor Messenger Service and Head of the Hogwarts Owlery

Postby thestral » Thursday 21 July 2005 11:17:38am

i think it has to go deeper than that. how can one thing burrow so deeply to the extent that she didn't even seem to care when her own sister died?

i think it's a lame excuse to cover her true reason she hates magic so much. which could be anything, not just the theory that she's a squib.
thestral
Rogue auror, avenger of lost souls

Postby Stumpy » Thursday 21 July 2005 12:07:29pm

? as lily came from muggle parents surely Petrunia is not a squib as they come from wizarding families! But to the extent that she bout this wonderful wizarding world but isnt involved. Plus being put down, maybe y dudley is so spoiled?
Stumpy
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Squeak28 » Thursday 21 July 2005 12:53:49pm

Well for one thing Ginny and Harry, Ron and Hermione.

Neville has to have a bigger role.
Squeak28
Muggle

Postby Dacre » Thursday 21 July 2005 1:05:41pm

Snape calls Lily a mudblood in his memory from OOTP I think, so her sister can't be a squib.
Dacre
Fully Qualified Wizard

Location: Running away from violent women in the Griffindor common room

Postby Fweegal » Thursday 21 July 2005 1:25:13pm

No, you're right...

Oh well. There must be more to it than simple jealousy then. Maybe Lily did something to Petunia with magic?
Fweegal
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Violet » Thursday 21 July 2005 2:26:12pm

lily doesnt seem the type to be doing anythign to petunia outside of hogwarts. we saw the way that she didnt like james and sirius' torment of snape. she doesnt seem to agree with picking on others
Violet
Serpentine Princess

Postby Fweegal » Thursday 21 July 2005 2:49:46pm

Could have been accidental.

The wherabouts and lives of their parents would be of interest.
Fweegal
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby Froggs » Thursday 21 July 2005 3:39:26pm

Violet wrote:lily doesnt seem the type to be doing anythign to petunia outside of hogwarts. we saw the way that she didnt like james and sirius' torment of snape. she doesnt seem to agree with picking on others

I agree. I think in Lilly's case, Petunia was the "outsider" and acted like one. I don't think Lilly was mean, but Petunia was, out of jealousy for the "extra" attention that she perceived that Lilly was getting from their parents. Simply sour grapes.
Froggs
Fully Qualified Wizard

Postby dibble2 » Friday 22 July 2005 4:06:09am

7. The fates of Snape, Bellatrix, and Draco must be determined. (Loose ends again)
dibble2
Fifth Year Student in Witchcraft and Wizardry

Postby Tanuki » Friday 22 July 2005 1:37:06pm

Muder, murder, and beaten very badly. It's the only way a lot of people will be satisfied. Am I the only one who really wants to see Harry beat Snape without even trying now?
Tanuki
The Mad Dog of Slytherin

Postby Stumpy » Friday 22 July 2005 2:46:16pm

I'd like to longbottom do it
Stumpy
Fully Qualified Wizard

Next

Return to Theories